Author Topic: 1861 Canada census help completed  (Read 2239 times)

Offline VivienR

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
1861 Canada census help completed
« on: Sunday 19 June 11 18:18 BST (UK) »
I hope someone can give me a hand with my search. When I first started tracking down my relatives I never thought to take down all the census details which I now realize are invaluable to have.

I had found Eloi Gagnon b1803 and his wife Angele Levesque born 1807 in the 1861 census living in McNider, Quebec but that was searching the census on microfilm.
  I don't know who transcribed the Quebec censuses on Ancestry but it's been a real treasure hunt  and no matter what spelling I use I cannot find them on Ancestry.  They were living next door to Augustin Gagnon and his wife Catherine Pearson but haven't had any luck finding this family on the 1861 census either.

Any help you can give me would be wonderful.  Thanks
Vivien

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1861 Canada census help
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 19 June 11 20:04 BST (UK) »
I can't help with the 1861 but you can check the 1851/52 census at automated genealogy for free. the 1901 and 1911 census are also available. You can view the original documents through the split screen/view option.
I did find the names you were looking for but couldn't be sure they were the correct ones.

http://automatedgenealogy.com

you can also check out census and other info at Library and Archives Canada and view original documents through pdf or jpeg

www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/index-e.html

Offline VivienR

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: 1861 Canada census help
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 19 June 11 23:09 BST (UK) »
Hi thanks  I do have them on every other census but the 1861.
vivien

Offline VivienR

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: 1861 Canada census help completed
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 June 11 21:24 BST (UK) »
I managed to find McNider in the 1861 census on Ancestry - the transcription for Eloi Gagnon was Eloi Sefron and Angel Levesque was transcribed as Angel Lutes.   Not even close.  Although I have to say the handwriting is very difficult to read and it doesn't help that whoever transcribed these records has no knowledge of common names in Quebec.

Vivien