Author Topic: LEAMAN Family Widecombe  (Read 2382 times)

Offline bckdrifter

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
LEAMAN Family Widecombe
« on: Sunday 19 June 11 20:11 BST (UK) »
Looking for any Leaman connections to Widecombe on the moor dating back to 1500's
Have currently got Willaim Leaman (1544) who is married to Hellen Crosse
Can anyone help any further back.   Have heard that Widecombe church records start approximately 1535 but hoping someone knows something I dont......

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
Re: Leaman Family Widecombe
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 19 June 11 20:49 BST (UK) »
According to Phillimore's Index of Parish Registers the deposited original registers for Widecombe start in 1560. If you have obtained earlier information on the surname from the IGI then it is probably dubious if it is marked as "Submitted" This means submitted by a member of the LDS church and the information is probably shown as "around 1544". If a contact is shown for the submitter then it may be worthwhile enquiring as sometimes they may have a source for the information, family bible or papers etc. and it may therefore be genuine. Good luck
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline bckdrifter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: LEAMAN Family Widecombe
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 June 11 18:30 BST (UK) »
Hi many thanks for the information.  I do know that some of the Information submitted by LDS can be a bit mileading with regards to dates as i have come across it on a number of time especially when you have the copy of a certificate to prove the correct date

I will endeavour to contact the nation maybe someone out there will have some information that we can exchange.  This is what all this is about exchanging fact and figures after all.  If not then my search has come to an end and my next task will be investigating individuals further. 

Thanks again for the information and good luck with your progress

Offline screachwhear

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 27 August 15 04:48 BST (UK) »
Hi There

I have a Thomas Leyman who had 3 children in Widecombe-in-the-Moor:
Joan bap 31 Oct 1708 (my 7G Grandmother)
Thomas bap 20 Mar 1708/9
John bap 4 Apr 1714.

Just wondering If you have a family connection to them.

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 11 September 15 16:22 BST (UK) »
Looking for any Leaman connections to Widecombe on the moor dating back to 1500's

So you know all about the Elizabeth Leyman of Widecombe who married Matthew Rowse, 24 Oct 1754, and had 10 chhildren baptised between 1755 and 1775 ??
If you can provide any marriage or burial details of Grace, their second child, baptised 22 Aug 1756, I would be very grateful.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Mamspice

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 23 June 22 09:08 BST (UK) »
Hi, so I've just discovered William Hext and Joan Leaman/Leyman (not sure which spelling) were my  6x great grandparents. It's funny because I used to go Widecombe with my parents

Offline Mamspice

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 24 June 22 00:00 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure if you saw my reply, maybe I should have quoted you  ??? It's been a looooong time since I've used a forum

So you know all about the Elizabeth Leyman of Widecombe who married Matthew Rowse, 24 Oct 1754, and had 10 chhildren baptised between 1755 and 1775 ??
If you can provide any marriage or burial details of Grace, their second child, baptised 22 Aug 1756, I would be very grateful.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 25 June 22 07:17 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat Mamspice.

Dont worry you posted your reply perfectly.

The original poster has not been on Rootschat since 2011 so you may not get a reply.

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)