Author Topic: Looking for Jane Russell Spruce, born Apr 24, 1855  (Read 2371 times)

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Looking for Jane Russell Spruce, born Apr 24, 1855
« on: Saturday 30 April 05 00:48 BST (UK) »
Looking for my gg grandmother, Jane who emigrated to Canada in 1862. Want to know her parents and her exact place of birth.
Meggison-Durham, Northumberland and Canada
Johnston - Co. Derry, Ireland
Groves - Co. Derry, Ireland

Offline down-under

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Jane Russell Spruce, born Apr 24, 1855
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 07 May 05 16:59 BST (UK) »

1861 census

George Spruce 1856  Wolverhampton, Staffordshire, England Son  Wolverhampton  Staffordshire   
Jane Spruce 1858  Wolverhampton, Staffordshire, England Daughter  Wolverhampton  Staffordshire   
Mary Ann Spruce 1786  Brosely, Shropshire, England Mother  Wolverhampton  Staffordshire   
Mary Ann Spruce 1833  Wolverhampton, Staffordshire, England Wife  Wolverhampton  Staffordshire   
Mary Ann Spruce 1860  Wolverhampton, Staffordshire, England Daughter  Wolverhampton  Staffordshire   
Thomas Spruce 1831  Wolverhampton, Staffordshire, England Head  Wolverhampton  Staffordshire   
William Spruce 1854  Wolverhampton, Staffordshire, England Son  Wolverhampton  Staffordshire 

James Barton 1848  Dudley, Staffordshire, England Apprentice  Wednesbury  Staffordshire   
George Shakespere 1842  Dudley, Staffordshire, England Apprentice  Wednesbury  Staffordshire   
Emma Spruce 1847  Kings Hill, Staffordshire, England Daughter  Wednesbury  Staffordshire   
Hannah Spruce 1843  Shiprall, Shropshire, England Daughter  Wednesbury  Staffordshire   
Jane Spruce 1806  Willington, Shropshire, England Wife  Wednesbury  Staffordshire   
Jane Spruce 1852  Kings Hill, Staffordshire, England Daughter  Wednesbury  Staffordshire   
Rachel Spruce 1844  Shiprall, Shropshire, England Daughter  Wednesbury  Staffordshire   
Samuel Spruce 1805  Wombridge, Shropshire, England Head  Wednesbury  Staffordshire   
Thomas Spruce 1841  Shiprall, Shropshire, England Son  Wednesbury  Staffordshire 

These are the nearest dates I can find
Regards Pam
oakley, Leadbeater, Hemming, Jones, Pearsall, Page,------ Aston, Leominster, Balsall Heath, Tewkesbury, Kings Norton, Birmingham.

census information are crown copyright of www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 07 May 05 17:55 BST (UK) »
Hmmm... I cannot find anyone who would be of that age as the 1861 census has no Jane Spruce age 6 - only age 3 and age 9. So, some questions, how can you be so certain of her birth date? Secondy, Jane Russell Spruce? It was relatively uncommon back then for a child to receive two Christian names [except for common combinations like Mary Ann]. It would have been very uncommon indeed for her to have  a second name of Russell. That is why I checked the census - one would expect a clear clue about that in one family in 1861 - but nothing! ???
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 07 May 05 18:47 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I got the birthdate from the 1901 Canadian Census.  As for place of birth, it also states Ireland and that she emigrated to Canada in 1862.  Somewhere I was lead to believe that her parents were Scotch.  Later on, I was following a lead that her place of birth may have been Shropshire, hence the posting.  As for the R in Jane Russell, it has Jane R on the 1901 Census.  Then I found the birth registration of her daughter Violet and the mother is given as Jane Russell Spruce.
So still looking for place of birth and parents.
Thanks for the help.
Peggy

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 07 May 05 20:00 BST (UK) »
Even odder. She is not on the 1881 Canadian census. Perhaps I am thick but does her daughter's birth certificate indicate that the maiden name was Jane Russell Spruce? What was her married name?
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 07 May 05 21:01 BST (UK) »
Hi again,
Here is the 1881 Canadian census.

Household: 1881 Census

Name  Marital Status Gender Ethnic Origin Age Birthplace Occupation Religion
 William JOHNSTON   M   Male   Irish   49   O <Ontario>   Farmer   Presbyterian Canada 
 Jane JOHNSTON   M   Female   Irish   27   Ireland      Presbyterian Canada 
 Walter JOHNSTON      Male   Irish   9   O <Ontario>      Presbyterian Canada 
 Belinda JOHNSTON      Female   Irish   18   O <Ontario>      Presbyterian Canada 
 William JOHNSTON      Male   Irish   10   O <Ontario>   Going To School   Presbyterian Canada 
 Horrice JOHNSTON      Male   Irish   6   O <Ontario>   Going To School   Presbyterian Canada 
 Allan JOHNSTON      Male   Irish   4   O <Ontario>       
 Violet JOHNSTON      Female   Irish   2   Manitoba       
 Gertude JOHNSTON      Female   Irish   <1 Born: Aug; 8/12   Manitoba       

_________1901 Census- shows Armon, Cora, Alan, James, and Walter along with William and Jane as parents.  I think perhaps a second marriage as Jane is 24 yr. younger.

Province/Territory:  Manitoba 
 District Name:  LISGAR 
 District Number:  7 
 Sub-district Name:  Stanley 
 Sub-district Number:  h-4 
 Schedule:  1 
 Notes:  (Township/Canton) 1, 2, (Range/Rang) 6 
 Reference: RG31 , Statistics Canada 
 Microfilm Reel Number:  T-6432 
 Finding Aid Number:  31-40 

The following images are associated with this entry:
       Johnson William M   Head M Apr 14 1831 69
      Johnson Jane R F   Wife M Apr 24 1855 46
      Johnson Walter M   Son S Jun 24 1872 28
      Johnson Alan M   Son S Jul 9 1876 24
      Johnson Cora M F   Daughter S Jul 6 1882 18
      Johnson Armon H M   Son S Apr 8 1885 15
      Johnson James B M   Son S Jan 8 1889 12

As for Violet's birth certificate, I received this
:Here's Violet's birth regn' - mother is Jane Russell Spence
> LAST NAME: JOHNSTON
> FIRST NAME: VIOLET JANE
> DATE OF BIRTH: 10/01/1878
> PLACE OF BIRTH: R.M. OF PEMBINA
> SEX: F
> REGISTRATION NUMBER: 1878,1627530
> REGISTRATION DATE: 02/20/1948

This all started as a quest to find out more about my grandfather Armon (Armand) Harrington Johnston.  My own mother died when I was 18 and no one seemed to know anything about grandpa's siblings or parents. My breakthrough came when they automated the 1901 Canadian Census.  I then found his parents and grandma's parents (grandma was Lillian Pacey and her parents were Charles Edward Pacey and Charlotte Elizabeth Pacey from England.)
I was told Somerset but seems to be Lincolnshire.
Anyway, Grandpa's parents were William Robert Johnston and Jane Russell Spruce, but I think there was a first marriage which I am unable to find.  Son Allan was born in Billings Bridge, Ontario.  Perhaps a key would be Belinda's birth certificate.
Peggy

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 08 May 05 00:07 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I was just rereading my reply regarding Jane Russell Spruce, and it says SPENCE. Maybe that's why I couldn't find her!  There was a confusion over the name.  Now a new search.
Peggy

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 08 May 05 10:05 BST (UK) »
That's OK Peggy. When you need to know something about someone who actually did exist please try us again ???

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 08 May 05 20:01 BST (UK) »
I was given Spruce via other sources.  However, the good thing is that I will now look for Spence and should hopefully be luckier.  Thanks for your time.
Peggy