Author Topic: Owlet Hall, Dalton, Huddersfield  (Read 16146 times)

Offline sandrastocks54

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Owlet Hall, Dalton, Huddersfield
« on: Thursday 30 June 11 19:35 BST (UK) »
Does anybody have any information on Owlet Hall, Dalton, Huddersfield please?

I know from the 1841 census that it is next to Cold Royd but I haven't been able to find it on the 1854 map.  I don't know whether it's a house or an area.

Thanks for any help!
Sandra

Offline J.R.Ellam

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Owlet Hall, Dalton, Huddersfield
« Reply #1 on: Friday 01 July 11 09:47 BST (UK) »
Hi

I cannot recall a Owlet Hall but the area has been redeveloped several times. The best place to look would be in Tolson's book on the Kirkheaton Parish. Try contacting the Huddersfield library and asking them to have a look in the section about old halls in the area. (Long shot but could work?)
Dalton is in the parish of Kirkheaton and Cold Royd is on the borders of the Dalton and Kirkheaton villages. There still is an old farm in the area but I don't know if that's is what you are looking for.

John
Ellam, Mills, Ellins
Firth, Wood, Muffitt
Hill, Mattinson, Nicholson
Morrey, Hudson, Limb

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 01 July 11 12:19 BST (UK) »
Hi

I cannot recall a Owlet Hall but the area has been redeveloped several times. The best place to look would be in Tolson's book on the Kirkheaton Parish. Try contacting the Huddersfield library and asking them to have a look in the section about old halls in the area. (Long shot but could work?)
Dalton is in the parish of Kirkheaton and Cold Royd is on the borders of the Dalton and Kirkheaton villages. There still is an old farm in the area but I don't know if that's is what you are looking for.

John

Maybe if you follow the streets near on pages or the 1841c census records route will narrow its old location down.

Maybe Owlet Hall is Owlet Hill or Howel Hill or similar ideas of it.

http://yourarchives.nationalarchives.gov.uk/index.php?title=Place:Huddersfield_Registration_District,_1841_Census_Street_Index_L-O
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline J.R.Ellam

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 01 July 11 14:20 BST (UK) »
Hi

Just had a look in other indexes and I have only found one mention of Owlet Hall and that was the address given on William Firth's burial in Kirkheaton on the 8 November 1861.
A few years later I think his wife Mary Firth was buried in the same grave on the 14 April 1876, but her address was Nettleton, Dalton.
Nettleton Road isn't far from Cold Royd and there are only a few old buildings left in this area and they are old farms so it could have been the name of an old farm.
If you google map and put Nettleton Road, Huddersfield it will give you an idea where it was. (The old farm I am think of is towards the end of Newland Road.)

John
Ellam, Mills, Ellins
Firth, Wood, Muffitt
Morrey, Hudson, Limb

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 01 July 11 17:15 BST (UK) »
Hi John

The Huddersfield Library will have more detailed maps of Dalton than internet online maps and may show up on. Having said that! the old maps web page 1852 map shows all the other old Halls like Nether Hall and Heaton Hall! -A Big puzzle!
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline sandrastocks54

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 01 July 11 18:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks both for looking.  I have an idea of whereabouts it would have been but I'm puzzled as to what it was!  The person I'm researching, Jonathan Howard,  was buried at Kirkheaton St Johns in February 1845 when his residence was given as 'Owlet Hall, Dalton'.  The baptisms of some of his children give this address also. Jonathan was a fancy weaver living at Rawthorpe Lane in the 1841 census.

I think I'll have to look at the Library maps next time I'm in.  Thanks for your advice.

Sandra

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 01 July 11 19:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks both for looking.  I have an idea of whereabouts it would have been but I'm puzzled as to what it was!  The person I'm researching, Jonathan Howard,  was buried at Kirkheaton St Johns in February 1845 when his residence was given as 'Owlet Hall, Dalton'.  The baptisms of some of his children give this address also. Jonathan was a fancy weaver living at Rawthorpe Lane in the 1841 census.

I think I'll have to look at the Library maps next time I'm in.  Thanks for your advice.

Sandra

As I said all the Hall's seem to be on the old map and usually there is something about them in books! Owlet hill farm or lane/road -Maybe an old farm track 17th/18th century .....................or Owlet lane

If John doen't know!(Not much chance!) he's the foremost on Kirkheaton /Dalton

Offline J.R.Ellam

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 02 July 11 12:34 BST (UK) »
I wounder if it could be Nether Hall which is on Rawthorpe Lane. It also went under other names namely Dalton Hall (although it is in Rawthorpe and ironically Rawthorpe Hall which was also on Rawthorpe Lane was in Dalton). it was more like a farm stead and it was turned into three houses.
There is a footpath that's goes from Long Lane to Rawthorpe Lane which came out near the hall and on some maps it was named Coule Royd.

John
Ellam, Mills, Ellins
Firth, Wood, Muffitt
Morrey, Hudson, Limb

Offline Sandymc47

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Fowlers of Yorkshire since 1685
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 02 July 11 13:11 BST (UK) »
Hi just looked for Jonathan Howards death details and it looks like
he lived at Oulet Hall not Owlet?? Definitely looks like a U to me.

regards Sandymc
Midgley, Fowler, Chadwick, Kilvington, Routledge, Hewitt, Stevenson, Ward, Waite, Binks , Buck, Pearson,  Stanley, Firth, Child, Hobson, Rogers, all Leeds and Yorkshire for centuaries except the Routledges from Wigton, Cumbria and Middlesbrough. Related to McAllisters of Wilsontown