Author Topic: Owlet Hall, Dalton, Huddersfield  (Read 16151 times)

Offline sandrastocks54

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Owlet Hall, Dalton, Huddersfield
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 02 July 11 14:10 BST (UK) »
It does look like Oulet Hall on the parish register, but on the 1841 census it definitely says Owlet Hall, and there are six households living there. 

It isn't Nether Hall, John, as that is in District 8 of Kirkheaton in 1841, whereas Owlet Hall is in District 9, in between Cold Royd and Mill Lane.  From the 1854 map Mill Lane looks to be at the end of Crossley Lane so Owlet Hall must have been along there somewhere.

Sandra

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 02 July 11 14:39 BST (UK) »
I spent some time last night looking for Owlet Hall on some old maps online, but couldn't find it. I did wonder if it had perhaps been renamed some time after 1841? Or perhaps destroyed? I notice via google searches that there are places by the name of Owlett Hall around today, but none appear to be this one at Dalton.

Offline sstarr2008

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 02 July 11 16:20 BST (UK) »
I notice the bleach works on the OS map, forerunner to the modern ICI, now Syngenta works. Is it possible that Owlet Hall was knocked down when that was built?

I see references to Owlet Hall but no definite site for it, I would guess that it was similar to Laverock Hall on Jagger lane which was just a farmhouse and is now divided into 2 or 3 dwellings.

I find it most annoying because I was born in the area and thought that I knew most of the locality fairly well, but of course I'm obviously not old enough to remember Owlet Hall ;D Honest.

Your best bet might be to go through the census films in the hope of narrowing down the location.

Stu
Starkey, Beaumont, Dunstan, Hogan, Nichol, Nichols, Laycock, Norbron, North, Smith, Connolly,O'Connor, Archer, Copley, Brook, Walker, Stocks, Berry, Swinden, Ambler.

Offline sandrastocks54

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 02 July 11 16:42 BST (UK) »
Thanks for spending time on this everybody!

I've looked at the description of the enumeration district in 1841 but I'm still no wiser as to where it would be.  Does anybody know where Kirk Ing rivulet or bottom is or was?  And where would its confluence with the River Colne be?

Sandra

Offline J.R.Ellam

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 02 July 11 16:55 BST (UK) »
Hi

It should be Kirk Ing Beck it is the stream that runs to the side of Kirkheaton Church, the Bottom you reffer to would most probably be Kirkheaton Bottom which was just about where the railway station was which in between Crossely Lane and Newland Road, There are several becks and streams that run into each other and then they run into the Colne in the ICI grounds just off Dalton Bank Road.

John
Ellam, Mills, Ellins
Firth, Wood, Muffitt
Hill, Mattinson, Nicholson
Morrey, Hudson, Limb

Offline sandrastocks54

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 02 July 11 16:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks John.  I've just been peering at the 1854 map again and I found the beck.  I've widened the search for Owlet Hall but I think by 1854 it may not have existed so it looks like I'll have to see if they have an earlier map in the library.

Thanks for all your help.  I didn't know where the railway station was either, so that's interesting.

Sandra

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 02 July 11 19:58 BST (UK) »
At the back of St John's church graveyard behond the main gate (Extention other side of the public footpath)  at the very bottom yard by the stream there are some old building that had weired up the old stream-some kind of old Mill water wheel maybe. 1854 OS says 'Bottom!' Posh Garden pond now! with stream running through it.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 02 July 11 21:06 BST (UK) »
Google map '80 Owl Mews, Lascelles Hall Road, Huddersfield'

next bring up old maps website! and find the Tandem 1854 map

find Lascelles Hall then  find Lower Hall

compare maps locations
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline sstarr2008

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 02 July 11 21:24 BST (UK) »
In Places of Kirkheaton and District by George Redmonds he calls it Hullot Hall but he only says that it was formerly a small house in the Cold Royd area.
He does however give a date of 1872 for a mention in a Kirklees Archive document KC249/6.

Can I just say that I remember the railway station, that really seems like the dim and distant past. Even the railway tracks have gone now :(

Stu
Starkey, Beaumont, Dunstan, Hogan, Nichol, Nichols, Laycock, Norbron, North, Smith, Connolly,O'Connor, Archer, Copley, Brook, Walker, Stocks, Berry, Swinden, Ambler.