Author Topic: Daniel McKay - Bally Castle Birth ca1820  (Read 8018 times)

Offline redbecca

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Daniel McKay - Bally Castle Birth ca1820
« on: Sunday 03 July 11 05:06 BST (UK) »
Searching for my 4X great grandfather Daniel McKay - son of Daniel McKay.

We believe that he was born in Bally Castle based on his muster roll from joining the East India Company in 1843.
He shipped out from Glasgow in 1843 on board the "Bangalore" with notations that his birth place was:
Parish of Derry Keaghan, Town of Bally Castle, County of Antrim.

He was aged 23 in 1843 according to his enlistment papers, however no further details were attached regarding next of kin.

His father's name is listed as Daniel McKay on his 4 marriage certificates found in India Record Office at British Library.

Any assistance on how to trace his birth and confirmation of names of Daniel's parents would be much appreciated.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Daniel McKay - Bally Castle Birth ca1820
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 July 11 09:07 BST (UK) »
To find Irish ancestors for such an early period you need to see if church records exist.
Have a look at Introduction to Irish Records and My Ancestor came from Ireland - where do I start?.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline dwrcrawford

• RootsChat Extra
  • Ballymena, Co Antrim, take me home...country roads
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 July 11 00:24 BST (UK) »
Hi.
I am very interested in knowing any more info about your Daniel McKay. I have a couple in my direct line as well and they were in the same general area of north antrim as Ballycastle.

My McKays/McCays are based in Inshamph and have a burial plot in Clough Cemetery

DC
Crawford: Kilburnie to Clough
Strahan: Clough
McKillen: Ballyclug/Tully
McCue: Broughshane

Offline redbecca

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 04 June 12 08:54 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Long time since I have been in the message board. Still searching for Daniel's family - the info given is literally all I have except for a family story that the family originally came from Scotland (but the McKay name is Scottish, so...).
Sorry I can't help any further.

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 04 June 12 10:02 BST (UK) »
There is something mysterious about your information because Ballycastle isn’t in Derrykeighan parish. It’s in the parish of Ramoan. Derrykeighan parish is some miles to the south west of Ballycastle, and there is another parish between them.

As far as searching church records is concerned, you don’t say what denomination that your ancestor was. The Scottish origin would suggest Presbyterian, though there can be exceptions. For Derrykeighan there are Presbyterian churches in Benvarden and Dervock. Benvarden’s baptisms don’t start till 1864 and Dervock’s in 1827. The only Presbyterian church with any records for around 1820 is the Reformed Presbyterian Church for Dervock & Ballymoney which has the following records (acc to the PRONI website): Lists of members by society, baptisms, marriages, deaths and removals including emigration, 1804-44; That would include the period you are interested in. The Church of Ireland’s records for that period were destroyed in the 1922 fire.

For Ramoan parish, the Church of Ireland records for that era were also destroyed in the 1922 fire, save for burials 1805 - 1831. Ballycastle Presbyterian Church records start in 1829. There is also a Presbyterian church in Ramoan but it has no records before 1900.
Elwyn

Offline redbecca

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 07 June 12 11:49 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the great info - I was also wondering about Bally castle and Derry Keigan - but they are listed exactly as noted on Daniel's enrolment records in the Indian Army - copied from the original handwritten ledger.

Sad to hear that most records are non-existent - wonder if I will ever be able to trace back any further...

Won't give up hope yet  :)

Offline jimchelsea

• RootsChat Senior
  • Cosby
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 07 June 12 17:11 BST (UK) »
Hi
theres a marriage record on IGI for a Daniel McKay to a Betty Laverty,28th Dec 1845, Ramoan Co Antrim

jim

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0ncc/

Cosby s from Gilford and Banbridge areas pre 1890

Offline jimchelsea

• RootsChat Senior
  • Cosby
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 07 June 12 17:17 BST (UK) »
was one of the marriages to an Ann Wilson? Do you know when /where Daniel died?
Cosby s from Gilford and Banbridge areas pre 1890

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 07 June 12 17:56 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   The McCAY/Laverty marriage which Jim found took place in Ramoan Church of Ireland. Fathers' names were Daniel McCay and John Laverty.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim