Author Topic: Family Disappeared  (Read 6733 times)

Offline Robert Fletcher

• RootsChat Veteran
  • And he's still just as cute!
    • View Profile
Family Disappeared
« on: Tuesday 05 July 11 19:47 BST (UK) »
This is what we know for certain.
1901 England Census [RG13  998  130  28]
Stephen Newman married age 30 born in Portsmouth. He is married to Bessie (Betsey) Dracass who was born in Sheerness Kent abt 1872.
Children Ethel (Beatrice Ethel) 1893, Francis 1895, George 1900, Nellie 1897.

Beatrice Ethel Newman married Archibald Wright 24 on 19 April 1913 Burbage Parish Church, Leicestershire. Beatrice Ethel stated her father was Stephen Newman occupation 'Coal Heaver'.

This is possible and probable:
Stephen James Newman born Q2 1871 Portsea Island RD Vol 2B pg. 443
Stephen James Newman death Q1 1905 age 33 Portsmouth RD Vol. 2B pg. 405

Oral Family History.
Ethel met Archibald in Portsmouth c.1912 fell in love and got pregnant. Ethel's brother wanted to kill Archibald so they walked to Archibald's home in Burbage, Leicestershire about a 155 miles. The eldest child was named after Ethel's brother Albert Edward Newman http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,541905.0.html. I thought I had found him in another thread but can find no evidence that this is him.

This is the problem and a brick wall:
Following the death of Stephen, Betsey and the children disappear. Unable to find them anywhere on the 1911 Census. I cannot find any possible marriages due to the common names. So any pointers to finding the other children would be appreciated.

Robert
BELL - Nottingham
FISHER – Hinckley Leics
FLETCHER – Louth (District), Lincolnshire
HALLETT - Grimsby Lincs
MINKLEY - Notts & Leics

Offline Robert Fletcher

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Family Disappeared
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 05 July 11 20:00 BST (UK) »
Sorry I realise that I posted in the wrong forum I have written to the moderator to move it to the Hampshire general forum. Sorry everyone.

Robert...
BELL - Nottingham
FISHER – Hinckley Leics
HALLETT - Grimsby Lincs
MINKLEY - Notts & Leics

Offline dee-jay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 July 11 16:47 BST (UK) »
Widow Bessie NEWMAN born Chatham and son Albert 8 may be found at 17 York Place, Portsea in 1911.

There is a marriage 4Q 1913 between Bessie NEWMAN and James URRY Portsmouth 2b 963.
SOM/Chard/Combe St Nicholas/Ilminster:  Dean[e]/Doble/Jeffery/Burt;  DEV/Yarcombe:  Dean/Gill/Every; 
BRK/Newbury:  Westall/Green/Lewis/Canning;  WIL/Allcannings:  Hiscock/Amor;  Froxfield:  Hobbs/Green;  HAM/Kingsclere:  Martin/Hiscock/Westall;  WAR/Marton/Bubbenhall:  Glenn/Holmes;  STS/Yoxall/Hamstall Ridware/Barton-u-Needwood:  Holmes/Dainty;  STS/Brewood/Codsall/Penkridge/Hatherton:  Dean[e]; GLA/Aberdare:  Dean/Dane

Census information: Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Robert Fletcher

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 06 July 11 19:12 BST (UK) »
Widow Bessie NEWMAN born Chatham and son Albert 8 may be found at 17 York Place, Portsea in 1911.

There is a marriage 4Q 1913 between Bessie NEWMAN and James URRY Portsmouth 2b 963.
Thank you so much for this. I need to get the MC to confirm but it seems to be a reasonable match at this stage. I wonder where the other children went?
Robert...
BELL - Nottingham
FISHER – Hinckley Leics
HALLETT - Grimsby Lincs
MINKLEY - Notts & Leics

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 06 July 11 20:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Robert it may be worth checking this:-

Frank Newman 11
Nellie 10
Albert 7

They are on the SS Dominion bound from Liverpool to Portland USA along with numerous other children on the 21st February 1907

Remember the search I have carried out will link similar surnames, so maybe something or nothing!

Keyboard86

Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Robert Fletcher

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 06 July 11 21:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Robert it may be worth checking this:-

Frank Newman 11
Nellie 10
Albert 7

They are on the SS Dominion bound from Liverpool to Portland USA along with numerous other children on the 21st February 1907

Remember the search I have carried out will link similar surnames, so maybe something or nothing!
I have just had a quick look at the records. Nothing else on the manifest. Also sailing from Liverpool a long way from Southampton. I can't get anything from the Allis Island site. But all is not lost. We are hoping to catch up with an uncle who we know visited Portsmouth looking into this family. I don't think he did it on genealogical lines but we will see what he did find out. Our best thing I think is to get the civil certs. then see if that can lead us somewhere.
I welcome any suggestions on how to go about this, a visit to Portsmith is on the cards.

Robert
BELL - Nottingham
FISHER – Hinckley Leics
HALLETT - Grimsby Lincs
MINKLEY - Notts & Leics

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 06 July 11 22:18 BST (UK) »
Have you investigated the birth registered in Portsmouth RD in Dec qtr 1913 for a William E Urry or Newman where the mother's maiden name is Dracass.  This may tie in with the marriage to James Urry in the same quarter in 1913.

A Bessie Urry died in Mar qtr 1946 aged 73 in Portsmouth RD.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Robert Fletcher

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 06 July 11 23:34 BST (UK) »
Have you investigated the birth registered in Portsmouth RD in Dec qtr 1913 for a William E Urry or Newman where the mother's maiden name is Dracass.  This may tie in with the marriage to James Urry in the same quarter in 1913.

A Bessie Urry died in Mar qtr 1946 aged 73 in Portsmouth RD.
Nell

Thanks Nell I had not looked. It seems to confirm that marriage. At the moment I am on slow as the last few days has taken me away from everything. Will see Uncle tomorrow and hopefully but a lot of this together. It's wonderful having a name like Urry seems very uncommon.

Robert...

PS: Just done an edit, it seems that the Urry family is a very important family from the Isle of Wight.
BELL - Nottingham
FISHER – Hinckley Leics
HALLETT - Grimsby Lincs
MINKLEY - Notts & Leics

Offline PortsmouthLindsey

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 05 May 12 07:59 BST (UK) »
I have only registered today due to your posting.

My Great Grandmother was a Bessie Newman  She is on the 2011 census with my Grandmother Olive May Urry. As you  mentioned above

Have been trying to find out as much as I can about Bessie as she has been really hard to track...  I am very new to researching ( you may be able to tell! )

Really hope you still use this site!

Lindsey