Author Topic: SAD, BLADE, ARTON  (Read 3279 times)

Offline MaltbyNewBrunswick

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: SAD, BLADE, ARTON
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 07 August 11 14:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Jennifer,

Thanks for getting back to me.  I understand completely - I just thought you might have information somewhere on the Internet.

Once I get it in better order, I will send you what I have put together.

Hope you had a good weekend.

Heather

Offline MaltbyNewBrunswick

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 15 February 14 17:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

We have spoken before about your initial post and when I came across it again, I thought I would look into more.

Your crossing point with the Artons, and Blades is Terrington St Clement ... and the Sadds/Sads lived in Terrington St John which are sister villages (2-3 miles apart).  There is much evidence that the Artons lived in the fenland area as I see them in Tilney, Wiggenhall, etc. 

I found Sad Blade, son of Sad Blade and Mary Ground (m. 16 Oct 1743, St John Church, Terrington), christened on 9 Apr 1746 at St Clement's Church, Terrington St Clement.  (Which you already know!)

Years in Terrington St Clement:

1. Blade baptisms from 1746 to 1763; marriages from 1743 to 1874 (and 2 in Walpole St Andrew); and burials from 1747 to 1920.

2. Arton baptisms from 1785 to 1909; marriages from 1782 to 1809; and burials from 1792 to 1813.

3. Sadd/Sad one baptism in 1739 (Terrington St John from 1695 to 1839); marriages NONE - but there were 2 in West Walton (Terrington St John from 1801 to 1859);  and burials from 1741-1850 (Terrington St John from 1680 to 1889).  (I only used FreeREG as my source.)

I don't doubt many years are missing but I would look for a Sad and Blade connection somewhere in this vicinity.  I gather they were farmers having lived in this area.

Wisbech and the Fenlands (source) - Terrington St Clement
1779 Ann ARTON ? John BLADES
1785 Josias ARTON Sarah WATSON 
1782 Rachel ARTON Peter DORSEY 
1790 Sarah ARTON W'm STEPHENSON   

1811 Elizabeth BLADE Thomas SEXTON   
1821 Jane BLADE James BAILEY   
1758 Mary BLADE James CANEY or CONEY   
1803 Mary BLADE Daniel RYLEY*   
1743 Sad BLADE Mary GROUNDS   

No Sadd/Sad.

* Lots of Ryleys in Terrington St Clement.

I've also seen a connection to the Sutterby family.  I believe John Sadd had dealings with him and I know my Hubbard family did.  They were well known millers and farmers of the area.

You've probably already gone through this, and more, but I thought I'd look at it again.  Focal point is Terrington St Clement.

Take care,
Heather Holdgate

Offline Jaznjjj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 15 February 14 20:28 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Heather!   The "cousins" are meeting in about a month (7th March) to have a look at this file again so this information is very timely.  We only meet every year or two.  I have an attack of guilty conscience now on re-reading our posts that I didn't do as I promised.  I found I was in overload and things were being overlooked - so about two years ago I started a database of my family history contacts so that from time to time I can review and renew contacts.  It looks like our communication pre-dated the start of the database (but you are on it now!)  The database includes date of last contact, progress and follow-up needed. 

I'll send your information off to the others now so we are prepared for the meeting in March.

Cheers,
Jennifer Bell