Author Topic: Campbells/Burnetts in N.I  (Read 19463 times)

Offline Carolb58

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Campbells/Burnetts in N.I
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 16 July 15 19:49 BST (UK) »
Hi my Grandfather was James Burnett born in Drung, Donegal, married to Matilda Campbell. They did live in Nassau Street, Londonderry before moving to Mount Street. They had 12 children including a set of twins. My father Robert Burnett was the youngest. My fathers cousin Roy Burnett still lives on the family farm in Drung. His sister Cissie lives nearby.

We hold a family bible that lists all the births, marriages and deaths for James and Miltida's family.

We are obviously related, one of your parents will be my cousin.

Regards Carol Burnett

Offline Bellarosa70

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Campbells/Burnetts in N.I
« Reply #37 on: Friday 17 July 15 08:55 BST (UK) »
Hi!
Nice to hear from you. You mention you have a family bible that lists members of your Family.
You may already have this information, but I will send it anyway.
My Great Grandfather was Andrew Burnett born in Drung Donegal in 1834 and died 1872. He married Catherine Harbison who was from Derry.
So these two people would be our Great Grandparents.
their children were William born 1878
                           Isabella born 1875
                           Robert Burnett born 1880
                           James Burnett born 1883 (your Grandfather)
                           Henry Burnett born 1872
                           Martha Burnett (My Grandmother)
                           Jane Burnett.
I know your Grandfather left Donegal and went to live in Londonderry.
My Grandmother Martha also left Donegal, Married my Grandfather and went to live in Derry too.
I do not have a lot of information on the rest of their family, but I do know that Robert their son, stayed in Drung and ran the farm.
I don't know if you have this information but, our Great Grandfather Andrew's Father was also a Robert Burnett, born -I believe in late 1700 or early 1800. in Drung.So he would be our great great Grandfather. I have no information on his wife.
Our great Grandparents Andrew and Catherine, their son Robert who married a Martha. (So many Martha's and Catherines)  are all buried in Greenbank Cemetery Drung Donegal.
My Grandmother Martha -James sister as I said married and moved to Derry.
They had six children -my Mother being one of them. My Mother married an Englishman and moved to England. I remember being taken as a very young child back to Londonderry to visit relations
and my Mother said we were going to see 'Uncle James'. I do not know if this was your Grandfather,
I was too young, but I do remember a very old man.
You say they had 12 children. I found out through this website that one or two of James children
went to America. I assume you are one of the descendants. So yes we are related -albeit distantly.
If you have any more information regarding the relatives from Drung Donegal -for example what happened to the rest of James and Martha's brothers and sisters I would be grateful.
I know that one of the brothers Henry, went to Derry and worked in the textile trade. Robert stayed and worked the farm. but William, Isabella and Jane -I have no information on.
lovely to talk to you.