Author Topic: Anthony family of Coggeshall  (Read 7135 times)

Offline maudarby

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Anthony family of Coggeshall
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 20 July 11 22:05 BST (UK) »
I have had another look at the 2nd baptism & you are right it was 1735. It gets so confusing with the old calendar & the year ending in March.

If you have a sub to Ancestry this is a link to my Caroline Guinn's marriage.
She was born Shoreditch c 1824 (from census) her father was William & she had a brother Joseph born c 1825 at Shoreditch. This is all I know about her.

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?htx=View&r=5538&dbid=1623&iid=31280_195055-00327&fn=Caroline&ln=Guinn&st=d&ssrc=&pid=5760316

Maudarby

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 21 July 11 02:56 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Jane Howard and Jane Anthony are definitely one and the same person, in the marriage and banns entries, one names her as Jane Anthony other Jane Howard.  If memory serves me correct the entry actually named her Jane Hayward but her first husband was John Howard whom she married 31 Oct 1788 at St Peter ad Vincular Coggeshall.  Once again that info was in the notes I lost/mislaid, I had all the dates, names and places safely recorded but when I went to add the odd few notes that I made, there they were, gone!  :(  The annoying thing is that I've been back to the UK at least three times since losing those notes but each time the thrill of determining new ancestors has overshadowed rechecks.

Merrymoo, I'll send you my email address by PM.

Regards. 

Concentrating currently on:
Essex: Card, Harris, Stowell, Theobald/Tibbles & Turner.
Norfolk: Beale, Cork & Dalton.
Yorkshire: Oswald Sturdy birth/baptism c1708, Oswald where the devil are you?

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline merrymoo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 21 July 11 08:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks Findem,
looking forward to hearing from you.

Maudarby thanks for the link to your tree on Ancestry I will look at it and maybe find a connection.

speak soon both

Merrymoo
Rodd, Royffe, Guinn (Bethnal Green), Trevett, Trivet etc (Dorset), Moore (Devon & Dorset), Cox Lyme Regis & Bath), McGregor (Surrey & Kent), Brown & Wilkinson (Bethnal Green), Wilkinson, Hazell, Hazel,Poole & Poole (Bucks)
Royffe, Ducro (London, prob Huguenot)
Scotland: Mackrell (Dumbarton)
Wales: Thomas, Jones (Glamorgan)
Ireland: Kelly (Dublin City), Stubbs (Dublin and Mallow, Cork), Woods (Dublin City) Mackrell (Limerick) Moram (Dublin) Toole (Dublin)

Offline supercooknot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 24 September 15 10:55 BST (UK) »
hi
I was reading through all the interesting comments regarding the Anthony family of coggeshall, of which I am a member.
is the family name 'guinn' related to the anthonys ?
I ask this because my father [Donald George Given b 1910] and his father [Given Abraham b1867] - son of William b1828, son of Isaac b1797, son of Abraham b1767 - both have the name 'given' in the forenames.
we have so often wondered about using Given as a name!
as the mother's maiden name was often used as a son's forename, could this be a corruption of the same name please?
my dear mother - Gwen - suffered from my father's forename, as you only have to dot the 'i' in the wrong place to get a his name.
I look forward to your comments.
thanks
Ruth

Offline merrymoo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 24 September 15 11:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Ruth,  :)

Maria Anthony 1792-1862 married Benjamin Guinn 1792-1865. I have Maria's father as Abraham Anthony 1767-1798 does this match your Abraham? Are the William, Isaac and Abraham you mention all Anthonys' ?

I can see where you are coming from Given can very easily translate into Guinn!

Poor mum was she teased much?  :-[

Diane
Rodd, Royffe, Guinn (Bethnal Green), Trevett, Trivet etc (Dorset), Moore (Devon & Dorset), Cox Lyme Regis & Bath), McGregor (Surrey & Kent), Brown & Wilkinson (Bethnal Green), Wilkinson, Hazell, Hazel,Poole & Poole (Bucks)
Ireland: Kelly (Dublin City), Stubbs (Dublin and Mallow, Cork), Woods (Dublin City) Mackrell (Limerick) Moram (Dublin) Toole (Dublin)

Offline supercooknot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 24 September 15 11:53 BST (UK) »
hi diane
thanks for you swift reply! yes, the family members I mention are all anthonys.
unfortunately, I don't think there is a connection between your guinn and my given, as your maria and my Isaac were siblings only, so it isn't in the 'line'.
I have only ever got as far as Abraham b 1767, but am very pleased to see you and others have gone back another two generations.
do you think it is ok to use other people's hard work and research to just add on to my own family tree? I am happy that it is the same family and individuals.
when I was a child - say 60 years ago - there was a lane in coggeshall which we visited called 'Anthony Place'. no longer on the maps though.
best wishes
ruth

Offline merrymoo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 24 September 15 18:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Ruth, I think it is fine to use other peoples work to get you under way but you must reassure yourself that their research is correct. I found quite a lot of info on the Anthonys on the Essex SEAX site, I was lucky to have access before they started charging but I don't think their charges are excessive. Are you on Ancestry, if so contact me on Rootschat by the private message facility and I will give you my Ancestry details. That's really interesting to know there was a lane in Coggeshall called that I wonder if it was after our Anthony's and why?
Diane 

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 09 November 15 17:30 GMT (UK) »
Coggeshall was a hotbed of nonconformity - and the small idenpendent Coggeshall Museum is an absolute must-go place for anyone researching Coggeshall nonconformists, IMHO.

My direct patrilineal line takes me back to Coggeshall shoemakers too - but my family name is Burrows, not Anthony. There seem to have been quite a few shoemakers in Coggeshall ...
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 10 November 15 01:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone found a daughter Rebbecca Antiney/Anteny/Anthony for Abraham and his wife Rebekah nee Denton who married at Coggeshall 1754?  They named a son Abraham, so I would have expected to find a daughter named after Abraham's wife Rebekah.

I found eight children all baptised at Coggeshall Congregation Church 1758 to 1779.

There is a good sized gap between Abraham and Sarah who were both baptised on 15 May 1767 and Isaac and Jacob who were both baptised 22 Jan 1779.

I would imagine either Isaac or Jacob, one of them, was born between 1767 and 1779 but that would still leave room for one or more children baptised in those years.

I live in Australia now so getting in to the National Archives where the relevant year PRs for Coggeshall Congregational are held is not possible for me, additionally I've found it a nightmare trying to navigate their online site.  I've been on numerous other sites, no problem but the NA!  :o

Regards.
Concentrating currently on:
Essex: Card, Harris, Stowell, Theobald/Tibbles & Turner.
Norfolk: Beale, Cork & Dalton.
Yorkshire: Oswald Sturdy birth/baptism c1708, Oswald where the devil are you?

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk