Author Topic: Mystery - Robert Eccles Dublin circa 1860's  (Read 13280 times)

Offline hotfix123

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mystery - Robert Eccles Dublin circa 1860's
« on: Wednesday 20 July 11 02:07 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I'm new to rootschat. Have spent the last few day's reading back over topics in Dublin, Tyrone and Antrim and I'm amazed at the wealth of info offered. So hoping somebody can point me in the right direction with this one.
There is a family story that my 2 x Gr Grandfather Robert Eccles is directly descended from the landed gentry Eccles family of Ecclesville, Fintona, Co. Tyrone. However, I have no evidence to back this up and the first definite record I have is his marriage to Mary Smith, St Paul's Arran Quay, 14th February 1849. No other relevent info is given on that record. I can find him resident at 11 Phibsboro on the 1851 Census, Griffiths Valuation and the 1862 Dublin Street Directory. His occupation is given as Prison Warder on several records, the earliest I have found being 1849. His youngest son was born 1862 and thereafter I lose him. I can find no record of his death suggesting he may have died pre 1864. I can find no burial for him although his wife and a couple of his sons a were later buried in Glasnevin.
I have a possible birth/baptism for him, Robert Eccles, Jan 1827, St Georges CofI Dublin, son of Cuthbert & Catherine Eccles, Eccles Street, Dublin (which would be at least partly consistant with the family story). Cuthbert & Catherine Eccles also had a daughter Mary Anne and the baptism of one of Roberts sons was sponsored by a Marianne Eccles (a tenuous connection).
If the Robert Eccles baptised St Georges 1827 is my Robert Eccles and given the status of Cuthbert Eccles Esq. of Eccles Street how likely is it that he would have married a catholic?
If this is him possibly he was buried in the Eccles family grave. I have no idea where that may be but maybe in St Georges Graveyard, Whitword Road. Does anybody know of surviving burial records for this graveyard?
Also, he was a prison warder in 1849. Mountjoy didn't open until 1850 so possibly he was in the Richmond Penitentiary but either way both prisons were close to his home. Could the fact he was a prison warder provide any leads?
What is the possibility that there was an obituary and if so where would one find it?

Thanks in advance

Phil
Murphy; Avoca, Wicklow & Dublin City. Harling; Dublin & Meath. Grimes; Dublin. Potter; Dublin. Eccles; Dublin. Hanlon; Swords, Dublin & Royal Artillery. Hood; Ballinderry, Antrim & Royal Artillery. Whitlow; Woolwich, London & Royal Artillery

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Mystery - Robert Eccles Dublin circa 1860's
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 20 July 11 08:46 BST (UK) »
To answer your last question first... the National Library of Ireland (Kildare Street) has a great collection of newspapers, but searching for a death notice, or obituary if there is one, would be difficult without some idea of when he died. Given the dates, I'd try Freeman's Journal and the Irish Times ..

The Dublin Heritage website (run by Dublin Libraries) has details of county Dublin graveyards and includes details for St. George's - see : http://dublinheritage.ie/graveyards/search.php

Transcript of burials for the cemetery are included on www.irishgenealogy.ie  - see : Death/burials - St. George 
I see a few Eccles listed, but no sign of Robert..

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline hotfix123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 20 July 11 11:40 BST (UK) »
Thanks a million for that Shane.
I've used the link you posted and had a look through the burial listings for St George's Parish. The only Eccles listed are children and none of them are of the Eccles family I'm interested in. So it's back to the drawing board on that one.
Roberts youngest son was born 1862 and Robert was listed as deceased on the marriage record of his daughter in 1875. So he died sometime in that 13 - 14 year period. Yep, as you say, it would be very difficult to find a death notice/obituary in such a long timeframe. Are Thoms, or other directories, available for that time period that might help me narrow it down a bit.
I have also looked on FamilySearch but can't find a listing for the death of Cuthbert Eccles. I'm pretty sure there would have been an obituary for him that might have given me a clue but I've no idea when he died.
I found the following on-line in IGP Archives but it doesn't really take me any further.

"HEADSTONES AT CHRIST CHURCH, DELGANY
In Memory | of | JOHN CUTHBERT ECCLES | infant son of | Dr. CUTHBERT ECCLES |
East Hall, Delgany | died 16th Sept. 1902 | also | MARY ANN ECCLES | eldest
daughter of the late | CUTHBERT ECCLES | late of Eccles Street, Dublin | died
26th Feb. 1908 | also EMILY | wife of | C. ECCLES M.O.H. | who died 24th Aug.
1927 | Dr. CUTHBERT ECCLES | died 8th March 1938"

Oh well, I'll keep ploughing on. It wouldn't be any fun if it was too easy.

Cheers

Phil
Murphy; Avoca, Wicklow & Dublin City. Harling; Dublin & Meath. Grimes; Dublin. Potter; Dublin. Eccles; Dublin. Hanlon; Swords, Dublin & Royal Artillery. Hood; Ballinderry, Antrim & Royal Artillery. Whitlow; Woolwich, London & Royal Artillery

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 20 July 11 11:48 BST (UK) »
Roberts youngest son was born 1862 and Robert was listed as deceased on the marriage record of his daughter in 1875. So he died sometime in that 13 - 14 year period.

I'll check Thom's 1863, 1868 and 1872 later on..

Do you have any addresses for the family as starting points ?

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 20 July 11 12:01 BST (UK) »
Dont see any sign of Cuthbert snr's 1908 death in Ireland, but there is a possible index match for the death of Dr. C. Eccles (fits with the Mar 1938 date on the headstone ) :

Name: Cuthbert Eccles
  Registration district: Rathdrum
  Event type:    Death
  Quarter and year:   Jan - Mar 1938
  Volume : 2 / Page : 571

The district of Rathdrum starts just south of Delgany.

For notes on the details included on death certs see :
   Details included on a Death Cert   

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline hotfix123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 20 July 11 12:12 BST (UK) »
Great Shane, thanks for that.
The family were resident ar 11 Phibsborough throughout this entire time period. Phibsborough is a small laneway to the right off Phibsborough Road going from Doyle's Corner towards Broadstone, parallel to Moncks Place. It was originally the entrance roadway to Phibsborough House.
I think the 1908 death refers to Mary Ann Eccles. I'm pretty sure Cuthbert Snr was long dead by then. I recall seeing his wife Catherine still resident Eccles Street and refered to as a widow circa 1870's but I can't remember exactly where I saw that reference. I'll have to dig it out of my notes.
Phil

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 20 July 11 12:28 BST (UK) »
some Eccles entries from earlier Thom's

1852 :

Cuthbert Eccles esq, 44 Eccles Street
  Mrs Eccles, 33 Pembroke Place
  Mrs. Eccles, 17 Dominick St upper
  Mr. Robert Eccles, 7 Phibsborough
  Rev. Samuel Eccles D.D., 41 Gardiner Street Lower
  Wiliiam Eccles, solicitor, 33 Eccles Street

most of the above (plus a few others) also appear in the 1850 listing, but there's no sign of Robert in that edition.

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline hotfix123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 20 July 11 12:49 BST (UK) »
Thanks Shane
As mentioned the earliest definate record I have of Robert is his marriage February 1849 which unfortunately doesn't give an address for him. I presume he took up residence in Phibsborough after his marriage and in fact Griffiths Valuation shows him residing next door to his in-laws, Smiths, in Phibsborough.
I have him on the 1862 Street Directory at this address and also his son was born here 1862 so I know he was alive about this time. His daughters marriage in 1875 still lists this address (as do some later records) as the family home and also lists Robert as Desceased.
He is listed as a Prison Warder on a several records including the 1875 marriage record suggesting he was still a warder at time of death.
But, unfortunately, that's as much as I know.

Phil 

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 20 July 11 13:06 BST (UK) »
Found a few things which I'll post in case they help-

Belfast Newsletter, 13 Oct.1877: Marriages- SEYMOUR-ECCLES- October 11, at St. Peter's church, Dublin, by the Rev. John Eccles, A.M., Rector of St. Peter's, Drogheda, assisted by the Rev. Canon Seymour, A.M., Precentor of Christ Church Cathedral, Commander J.C. Seymour, R.N., to Harriette, second surviving daughter of the late Cuthbert Eccles, Esq., Eccles Street, Dublin.

Marriage, 2 Aug.1854 at St. Peter's, Dublin, Rev. ? Eccles, eldest son of Cuthbert Eccles, Esq., Eccles? Street?. to Harriotte Frizell, Castle Thevin, Co.Wicklow.

Marriage, 21 Apr.1869 at Southampton (England), Major Cuthbert Eccles to Amy N. Pocock, Southampton. His brother Rev. John Eccles, St. Peter's, Drogheda.
Birth, 20 March 1874 at Woolwich, son to Major Cuthbert Eccles.
Birth, 11 Aug.1875 at Sunday's Well, Cork, daughter to Major Cauthbert Eccles, 2nd Battalion 4th King's Own Royal Regt.

Added- Cuthbert Eccles married Catherine Thomas in 1819-
http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details/0efea70889750
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!