Author Topic: Irish Immigrants to Michigan via Massachusetts  (Read 1389 times)

Offline JDJames89

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Irish Immigrants to Michigan via Massachusetts
« on: Monday 25 July 11 08:00 BST (UK) »
I’m trying to track down family members from an 1870 Michigan census record.

My direct ancestor Daniel Sullivan was born somewhere in Ireland (later recorded as “Irish – Free State” on a 1930 census record for one of his children) between 1835 and 1840 to Mortimer Sullivan (also born somewhere in Ireland around 1796). Daniel’s wife Catherine “Kate” (maiden name unknown) was also born in Ireland around 1840 according to one census record.

By 1865, Daniel, Catherine had immigrated to the U.S. and settled in Houghton Co, Michigan, where Daniel worked as a miner. In Houghton Co, they had at least six children: Catherine Sullivan (born about 1865), Mortimer Sullivan (born about 1865), Ellen “Nellie” Sullivan (born about 1868), Julia Sullivan (born about 1870) and Mary Sullivan (born about 1872) and Annie H. Sullivan (born 7 Aug 1874). On 21 Jun 1793, it appears that grandfather Mortimer died in Adams, Houghton Co, Michigan.

In 1870, census records show that Daniel’s wife, children and father were living in his household in Portage, Houghton Co.

Also shown on this census, directly next door, is the household of a Cornelius Sullivan I believe may be a brother or some relation to Daniel as well. Cornelius C. Sullivan was born about 1830 in Ireland. His wife Johanna was born there about the same time. They came to the U.S. sometime prior to their eldest known son John Sullivan’s birth in Massachusetts in about 1852. After this they also came to Michigan where a son James was born in about 1864, a daughter Johanna/Josephine in about 1866 or 1867 and a son Cornelius Sullivan II in April of 1869 or 1870. I’ve no further information on any of these individuals and would love to find some trace of them in 1860, maybe in Massachusetts, to hopefully learn more about Daniel and Mortimer. Sullivan was a very common name, however, and this might be sole coincidence.

By 1880, a few changes had taken place. Sometime between 1874 and 1880, mother Catherine died, most likely in Michigan. Daniel and his children continue to live in Hancock Co until at least 1880, when they are seen on the US Federal census there. After this, I lose track of all but two of the children. Both Annie and Nellie ended up in Butte, Montana, where they married and had children. I would love to find some sign of Daniel after this or any of the other siblings.
By 1880, Cornelius Sullivan’s family was living in Marquette Co, Michigan. This census provides no further information and, as with Daniel’s family, I lose track of all members of the family after this.

Researching this family has been very difficult because, as I said, Sullivan was a VERY common name in Irish-American communities. In Hancock Co alone there are at least three seemingly distinct Sullivan families. Because they also share many of the same first names, it makes sorting out relevant information very hard and I appear to have hit a brick wall for the moment and I would appreciate any leads on the family members mentioned as being MIA above.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Irish Immigrants to Michigan via Massachusetts
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 August 11 16:30 BST (UK) »
Do you have death dates for Annie or Nellie?  If they had siblings who survived them, they may be mentioned in their obituaries.

Offline JDJames89

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 01 August 11 20:50 BST (UK) »
Annie died here in Butte in 1949 and I've managed to track down both her death notice and obituary. Neither of which contain any information about family, sadly.

Nellie Ellen Sullivan Ross (as she is listed on the California Death Index) died in Los Angeles on 28 Feb 1953. I haven't had any success in tracking down her obituary, though it would make my day to find one.

After looking at that death record on Ancestry.com, however, I suppose I should note that it lists her mother's maiden name as Sullivan. Not sure if that is a mistake or perhaps her mother Catherine was also a Sullivan before marriage. 

Offline RJ137

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 30 November 16 21:09 GMT (UK) »

Nellie Ellen Sullivan Ross (as she is listed on the California Death Index) died in Los Angeles on 28 Feb 1953. I haven't had any success in tracking down her obituary, though it would make my day to find one.

Nellie's death certificate: http://www.rootschat.com/links/01iyd/