Author Topic: london metropolitan archive  (Read 14920 times)

Offline diarmuid 32

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: staines middlesex
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 31 July 11 23:26 BST (UK) »
hi
   there Jane thank you for your reply ,and your help. i know the hospital is in ashford and that it name was changed after in 1945. that were my grandfather died ,he was laid to rest in ashford cemetery , he was never came home to ireland ,cumberland road is were he had lived in , i would say a rented room. he was an engineers fitter,were in staines i don't know ,how long i dint know, whom he lived with i don't know.
i have his life all the way, i hit a brick when it comes to England.
                                                                                                          diarmuid

Offline expatinturkey

• RootsChat Extra
  • My dad in 1943
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 01 August 11 08:46 BST (UK) »
Hello. I don't really have much to add to the info given by other posters- it's excellent BTW.
I know of many men from Ireland (North and South) who came over to work in Eng.
In the times your  grandfather came over most people came over to Eng on the boat- from Dun Laoghaire to Holyhead or Belfast-Heysham. Your grandfather probably came from Dublin (Dun Laoghaire).
As to why he picked Staines? There are many possible reasons. He already had a contact there- his brother? Had an offer of work there. Heard there was work there. Many Irish people did go to the south of Eng to get away from the usual Liverpool scene. It's quite near London but not so urban. In those days it was quite pleasant- a typical southern suburb- in some areas. There were developments going on. It could have been pure chance and he didn't really choose it as such.
Good luck! :)
McGaughey, Crawford, WW2 POW, Surrey Fire Brigade, Fintona, Woking

Offline diarmuid 32

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 01 August 11 11:25 BST (UK) »
thanks turkey
                for your reply , just trying to get to the bottom of my grand time in england, he died in england
and he was never brought back home to dublin , i say he sail from dun laoghaire , then onto staines middlesex ,
i like to know were he worked over there , and whom he lived with . up on till he died ,diarmuid

Offline jane harrison

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 01 August 11 12:38 BST (UK) »
Hello
 No 3 Cumberland road is still there & quite a large house if you wrote to the occupiers & asked they could look on the deeds to the house & that would tell you who owned it @ the time as a matter of added intrest its the end of the road nearest to the Hospital litrally just across the other side of the A 30. what expatinturkey  says makes a lot of intresting points as most would have stayed in groups & obtained work via a family member or close friend it might be a good line to find out more about his brothers work ect as he was ov around when James Gannon was in the area & also when he died. as added intrest what was the cause of death? could there have been a mention in the local papers.Do you know the plot number he was buried in the cemetery workers have some records (could ask for you as i know the lads that work in said cemetery)

Offline diarmuid 32

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 01 August 11 13:00 BST (UK) »
hi Jane
             is the house an old house from the 1940s , do you live in staines , that is a great idea to write to the owner of the house ,that never entered my mind. yes i give you my grandfather information no problem ,he died 13th may 1944 in the county hospital cause of death lobar pneumonia , he was laid to rest on the 22ND may 1944, he is buried in ashford cemetery grave no 87 section 4 . his grave is not marked , i only found this out while doing my research on my family history, and i am wondering why he was never brought back to ireland.it hard to research in England , when i live in Dublin ireland .thank for the information and help Jane.

diarmuid ,

Offline jane harrison

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 01 August 11 16:53 BST (UK) »
hello
Yes I think so the house has the style for that era =patterned coloured glass above the door & also on the tops of the glass in the windows old style chimney pots (quite a nice well looked after house) if you pm me with your e/mail i will send you a photo. Staines is the next town to Ashford around 2 miles away. Ashford cemetery & Hospital is in the area of Stanwell village on the opp side of the A30 all very confusing if you dont know the area,I come from a little way past the Hospital. have you googled the cause of your Grandfathers death? The reason i ask is that around the time of his death Ashford still had an Isalation unit within the hospital grounds  he could well have been taken there.(all sold off & a housing estate & Tescos now) the wards where long wooden constuctions & you had to be taken across the road to the other building for an operation extra blankets over you in the winter & an umbrella held over you if it was raining. My Granmother worked @ the Hospital from the time she left school & even though she was 2 years past retirment was still on the pay roll part time up untill the day she died in Ashford hospital. you could also try writting to the records office @ the Hospital. The few out patience departments still in use still have your records in a large folder.my Mum had an appointment @ E.N.T. early this year & whilst reading her large folder was astonished to see records of when she had her tonsils out in 1950

Offline diarmuid 32

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 01 August 11 17:07 BST (UK) »
that brillant Jane thanks for your help you took a picture .   sorry Jane i did leave my email for you , i put it back up if you want to send the picture thanks ,diarmuid

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 02 August 11 00:12 BST (UK) »
Pllease do not post your email address in topics. They will be removed in accordance with forum policies.

If you want to exchange this information, please use the personal message system.

Dawn

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline jane harrison

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 02 August 11 00:25 BST (UK) »
Roots chat have a strong policy that you do not post your personal details for all to see its for your own safety thats why i said to send me a p/m =personal message if you re post your e/mail again it will be removed again & you will be in breach of your agreement.just in case you dont understand this fully i have sent you a p/m with my details.when you log on it will tell along the top you have a message just click on that .