Author Topic: Knocknabro, Killaha, Kerry  (Read 14414 times)

Offline Gallagher-Doohan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Knocknabro, Killaha, Kerry
« on: Thursday 28 July 11 03:10 BST (UK) »
I have been researching a Dineen family from Knocknabro and have not been able to locate the death records of Timothy and Mary (Cremin) Dineen.  She was originally from Gortnagaun.  They were both still listed in the 1911 census.  Most of their children emigrated to the U.S., but a son John remained in Ireland, bought land in Knocknabro about 1955 and died there, date unknown.  I'm hoping that I might be able to get their dates of death from their gravestones.  Does anyone know which cemetery would most likely be their place of burial?  Their church parish appears to be Glenflesk.  Is there a cemetery there?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Knocknabro, Killaha, Kerry
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 28 July 11 09:18 BST (UK) »
Have you searched civil registration index to narrow down the dates? (goes up to 1958)-
https://www.familysearch.org/search/collection/list#page=1&countryId=1927084
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 28 July 11 11:52 BST (UK) »
found a John Dineen on find a grave
http://www.findagrave.com
memorial no. 41723497
died december 1958

Kiltomey Cemetery

Offline Gallagher-Doohan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 28 July 11 14:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks to both of you for your helpful suggestions.  In writing this reply, however, I realized that I erred in saying that the Dineen who remained in Ireland was John.  I should have said Jeremiah.  He was born in Knocknabro in 1900 and remained single.  He bought the land around 1955.   

The online civil registration index has been a big help to me.  (I'll hate to see the pilot disappear when FamilySearch pulls the plug on it.)  However, I think Jeremiah lived beyond 1958.  However, even if I were to find his death record, it would not give me the name of the cemetery where he was buried, and I'm hoping to get that to help me locate the graves of his parents for any information about them that might be on their gravestones. 

Since the information will help develop a family tree for three terrific grandnephews and one equally terrific grandniece, I'll keep hunting.  Thanks again. 

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 28 July 11 17:37 BST (UK) »
Have youn tried contacting the church to see if they have any records that would help?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline annclare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 28 July 11 21:41 BST (UK) »
Got this message recently saying that "Kerry County Council in conjunction with the three Town Councils [ Listowel, Killarney and Tralee] and local Leader Groups will be launching a website on local authority burial records to be held in the Council Chamber ,Aras an Chontae Tralee on July 28th
168 books were scanned comprising approximately 70,000records.  The oldest records on the website date back  to 1898"

I checked the Council site today but couldn't find any  mention of the new website - perhaps it will emerge over the next few days.
Will post an update when I get more information.
annclare

Kerrisk, Healy, McGuire, Duggan - Kerry and US
Tuohy/Toohey,Gorman, Purcell, Fanning- Holycross Tipperary

Offline Gallagher-Doohan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 29 July 11 03:42 BST (UK) »
Your suggestion that the church might be helpful is a good one.  Even if they don't have a specific record, some of their older parishioners might even remember Jeremiah Dineen and know where he was buried. (I still hope that will lead me to the graves of his parents.)  I've been told there was once a Daniel O'Sullivan living on the road leading to Knocknabro who had a lot of Dineen information, but I don't know how to reach him.  If he's still living, perhaps the church could help there as well. 

If the cemetery information goes on line, that will be terrific.  Irish gravestones contain so much information, sometimes more than the death records.  Some Kerry cemetery inscriptions are available in the Casey Collection, but most of them cover the nineteenth century.  An updating of Casey would be wonderful.  Please do let us know if you see any more about it. 

Thanks again. 

Offline annclare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 29 July 11 08:00 BST (UK) »
Just got a message that the website is working at www.kerrylaburials.ie.
Have fun.
annclare
Kerrisk, Healy, McGuire, Duggan - Kerry and US
Tuohy/Toohey,Gorman, Purcell, Fanning- Holycross Tipperary

Offline Gallagher-Doohan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 15 August 11 01:53 BST (UK) »
Ann Clare,
Thank you so much for this website information.  It is a fantastic resource.  Although I haven't found the graveyard I need yet, I did find the inscriptions of others from the Sneem area of Kerry.  I'll continue to check it from time to time and think of you each time I do.