Author Topic: Rotorua Cemetery - COMPLETED  (Read 5322 times)

Offline TwiggyTree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Rotorua Cemetery - COMPLETED
« on: Thursday 04 August 11 02:20 BST (UK) »
Am planning to dash off to the cemetery whilst in Rotorua tomorrow (Friday).

Does anyone need a photograph or MI look-up?
...out of, through, and back from New Zealand to the ends of the Earth

FRYER - MITCHELL - DUKE - WHYTE - McDONALD - TAYLOR - CARPENTER - HARRIS - WILLIAMS - CUNNINGHAME - LUCAS - WHITE - BOTHAM - HOLDAWAY - EYLES - OLSEN - CHASE - TRAILL - BAGGS - HASKINS - EDWARDS - CHING - SHIELDS - POLLARD - HOGAN - SMITH - STANLEY - HALL - ROBERTS - LARKHAM

Offline taonga1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Rotorua Cemetery
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 04 August 11 08:41 BST (UK) »
Oooh - Mr Lechner if you happen to see him!

John William Theodore Lechner, or any combination or order of those names, or Johannes Wilhelm Theodore Lechner.    It's an old burial.  Not sure if there would be a stone. 

I'll just go hunting and see if I can find a record ...
My mum's family:  MESSENGER (=> NZ 1852), ROSCOE/ROSCOW, ROBINSON, GROOMBRIDGE (=> NZ 1909)
My dad's family:  WHITE, CROOK. (Devon => NZ), SCHAEFFER/SCHALFER (Eisenach, Germany), MCFADYEN (Scotland) (=> NZ 1870s)
My daughter's family:  HAILEY, WAKEFIELD (=> NZ 1850s)
My husband's family:  FLETCHER (Goole, Yorkshire => NZ),GREVERS (Wassenaar, Holland), HILL (Devon => Australia), NOTT (Australia)

Offline taonga1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 August 11 08:55 BST (UK) »
Hmmmmm - never mind.  Can't find him in their online records.
My mum's family:  MESSENGER (=> NZ 1852), ROSCOE/ROSCOW, ROBINSON, GROOMBRIDGE (=> NZ 1909)
My dad's family:  WHITE, CROOK. (Devon => NZ), SCHAEFFER/SCHALFER (Eisenach, Germany), MCFADYEN (Scotland) (=> NZ 1870s)
My husband's family:  FLETCHER (Goole, Yorkshire => NZ),GREVERS (Wassenaar, Holland), HILL (Devon => Australia), NOTT (Australia)

Offline TwiggyTree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 04 August 11 09:14 BST (UK) »
taonga1, did you have a note that Herr Lechner was buried there?  I can always ask the sexton if they are on site.

FRYER - MITCHELL - DUKE - WHYTE - McDONALD - TAYLOR - CARPENTER - HARRIS - WILLIAMS - CUNNINGHAME - LUCAS - WHITE - BOTHAM - HOLDAWAY - EYLES - OLSEN - CHASE - TRAILL - BAGGS - HASKINS - EDWARDS - CHING - SHIELDS - POLLARD - HOGAN - SMITH - STANLEY - HALL - ROBERTS - LARKHAM

Offline taonga1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 04 August 11 19:53 BST (UK) »
I thought I recalled from the family history book that he was at Rotorua Cemetery.  He died in 1886, so burial records may be incomplete. 

Offline TwiggyTree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 04 August 11 20:39 BST (UK) »
Ok, will see what I can do.

Offline TwiggyTree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 07 August 11 10:10 BST (UK) »
*** Rotorua Cemetery database is indeed INCOMPLETE.  There are members of the departed community who are not in it. ***

taonga1, I have the burial register entry for Herr Lechner, if you'd like to PM me your email.  The sexton (private contractor) did not know exactly where he was buried but will look into it further on Monday for us.  He offered to take a photo with his cellphone and send it - sorry that was the best I could do as I wasn't going to be there Monday.  Herr Lechner was one of the people exhumed from the former cemetery at the top of Sala St, Rotorua and moved to the current site (further along the road).  As a result it appears that the entry in the register does not directly match the references in the current cemetery.

Leandra, have sent you a PM with a photo of your folks.

Sidenote: the gentleman that I went to visit, does not even have a headstone or anything but green grass, so his grave couldn't speak to me and tell me his story.

Offline Beg Clonrode...

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 07 August 11 10:56 BST (UK) »
Quote from: TwiggyTree

The gentleman that I went to visit, does not even have a headstone or anything but green grass, so his grave couldn't speak to me and tell me his story

Hello TwiggyTree...

I think the fact that you are remembering the person is what's important.

I for one would be quite chuffed if in fifty or a hundred years from now someone took time out of their life to find out about my (frankly) pretty ordinary life.

Moreso if they took time to visit my gravesite.

Regards
Beg

Offline taonga1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 07 August 11 12:58 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much Twiggy.  I'll PM you my email now.  My Dad was the Vicar of Rotorua many many moons ago, so he's traipsed around that cemetery a fair few times.

Unmarked graves feel a bit strange when it's someone who belongs to you.  We have three unmarked in our wider family and have thought about whether we should invest in something tangible for future genealogists to be able to see.