Author Topic: Capt David Roberts  (Read 11093 times)

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
Re: Capt David Roberts
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 07 August 11 00:31 BST (UK) »
Could you explain please
Modifed to prevent copyright infringement

Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline Morganllan

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 07 August 11 00:42 BST (UK) »
Hello seaweed  :)

This link gives more info on Copyright :

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/copyright.php

Kind Regards
Morgan

Offline amazon510

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 07 August 11 13:34 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Are you sure Eleanor and Mary Ann aren't the same person?  I've heard some odd nicknames over the years.  My grandmother was Mary Ellen but some people called her Nellie, for example.  Eleanor to Mary Ann would be a reach but you never know - have you looked for birth records for either of them? Also, when was your gg grandfather born?  Does it match the birthdate for David and Mary Ann's son?

If Eleanor is a separate person, perhaps she is missing from the census records because she went to sea with her husband - occasionally the captain's wife would accompany him on his voyages.  Perhaps if you can find him on board his ship during a census, you will also find her? 

I agree with Seaweed, you should try to find the crew agreement and log if it exists.  You can also look up the official number at the Crew List Index Project - http://www.crewlist.org.uk/data/vesselsalpha.php.  Looks like it might be ON 68221, a brigantine out of Barrow built 1873.  The Bidsie & Bell was around until 1925, so at least you know then that David didn't go down with the ship.

Plugging the number into the MHA search engine it appears that the crew agreement for 1877 is in the Lancashire records office!  Good news for you, if you are in the UK.  I would definately go have a look.  They also have 1878.  The agreements are filed by year the voyage finished, so you may need to check 1878 as well.  The log book may not have survived, but there would certainly be a mention of the demise of the captain in the crew agreement itself - look on the last few pages for notes from the local Britsh consul. 

Jennifer.

Offline dglvr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 07 August 11 14:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks Jennifer,

You have actually clarified my thoughts. I too thought it may be a middle name or something like that.  I also thought about seeing if the wife may be in a workhouse or something too!

I live in Leeds so it's only an hour or so to Preston. Unfortunately the record office is closed until October, so I'll have to wait til then. Thankyou everyone for rejuvenating my search.

Regards
Damian
GLOVER'S OF FERMANAGH, DUXBURY'S OF BEESTON (LEEDS), CARTER'S OF HORSFORTH AND ROBERTS OF BARROW IN FURNESS AND LLANELLI

Offline Dazey999

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 07 August 11 16:56 BST (UK) »
Free BMD (www.freebmd.org.uk) has a possible marriage in Llanelly Jan-March 1848 where 2 of the partners listed under that registration number (26-656) are David Roberts and Mary Ann EVERY

I would suggest that this marriage cert might be worth buying, if you haven't already done so?

Dazey

Offline dglvr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 08 August 11 13:50 BST (UK) »
On it Dazey, thanks for the recommendation.  Ordered it today.

Cheers, fingers crossed
Damian
GLOVER'S OF FERMANAGH, DUXBURY'S OF BEESTON (LEEDS), CARTER'S OF HORSFORTH AND ROBERTS OF BARROW IN FURNESS AND LLANELLI

Offline dglvr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 23 April 12 16:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks all, the plot thickens!!
I went for a different approach, after hitting 'The Wall'  As I stated my GG Grandfather James Parker Roberts b:1850 Llanelli to Capt David Roberts & Eleanor Avery. Moved to Barrow In Furness.

I have Eleanor as the mother on James' birth cert. I located the aforementioned William E (which is for Every, a typo?) Roberts and it seemed too much of a coincedence.  I ordered William's birth cert which gives his parents as David Roberts (Master Mariner) & Mary Ann Roberts (formerley Every)

This ties in with every census I have found with my GG Grandfather on i.e. 1851 Census of Llanelli which has Mary Ann Roberts ( Mariners wife with her son James P Roberts at 8 mnths old)

I am also in the process of ordering the marriage cert of Mary Ann Every & David Roberts which is in 1848.

The thing that is baffling me is this lack of Eleanor Avery but everything tying in with Mary Ann Every, is she the same person??

Thanks for looking

Offline dglvr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 23 April 12 19:26 BST (UK) »
After an afternoon of trawling through census' etc I have come to a conclusion....

In the 1871 Census we have a Mary Ann Roberts (Sailors wife) with her family including James P Roberts (GG Grandfather) residing at 7 Storey SQ, Barrow In Furness.

The address sounded familiar, sure enough on my GG Grandparents wedding cert. James' was residing at 7 Storey SQ!!  Gotcha!!

But why on earth does his birth cert state Eleanor as his mother? I even ordered 2 copies thinking it may have been a mistake.

Regards
Damian

Online osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 23 April 12 20:23 BST (UK) »
did you order your copies from the GRO? If so, they do not have the originals, but copies of quarterly returns & mistakes were made at times in copying.

You could try the Carmarthenshire registrars who now hold the orginals although it may involve ordering a 3rd copy

http://www.carmarthenshire.gov.uk/english/living/registrars/pages/familyhistory.aspx

By the way, the present spelling is Llanelli, but it used to be spelt Llanelly. Think it changed around 1974. 

;)
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb