Author Topic: Owen ANGEL of Totnes & Exeter  (Read 2950 times)

Offline Brett

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Owen ANGEL of Totnes & Exeter
« on: Tuesday 03 May 05 06:18 BST (UK) »
As part of my research into various Devon photographers, I am currently investigating the family of Owen ANGEL (c1821-1909), who was born in Totnes but moved to Exeter where he married Mary Ann BRIMACOMBE in 1843.  From census records and the FreeBMD database, I have come up with a provisional outline of his family, as shown below:

Owen ANGEL b. c.1821 Totnes DEV d. 1909 Exeter DEV m: 1843 Exeter DEV Mary Ann BRIMACOMBE b. c.1821-1822 Sowton DEV
|- Marian ANGEL b. c.1844 d. 1883 Exeter DEV m: George O. HEATH b. 1840 Totnes DEV d. 1905 Exeter DEV
...|- George O. HEATH b. c.1866 Totnes DEV
...|- Stanley HEATH b. c.1867 Exeter DEV
...|- Cecil Hayward HEATH b. 1870 St Thomas, Etwick DEV m: Eleanor J. b. c.1868 St Pancras LON
......|- John A.O. HEATH b. c.1898 Lambeth LON
...|- Beatrice Angel HEATH b. 1873 Exeter DEV m: 1898 Exeter DEV Arthur Row PARKHOUSE b. c.1853 Tiverton DEV
......|- Arthur C. PARKHOUSE b. c.1899 Lambeth LON
......|- Dorothy M. PARKHOUSE b. c.Jan 1901 Lambeth LON
...|- John Lennox HEATH b. 1874 Exeter DEV d. 1907 Exeter DEV
...|- Lilian Rachel HEATH b. 1876 Exeter DEV d. 1883 Exeter DEV
...|- Violet Amy HEATH b. 1877 Exeter DEV
...|- Marguerite Florence HEATH b. c.1879 Exeter DEV
...|- Ivy Evelyn C. HEATH b. c.1883 Exeter DEV
|- Owen ANGEL b. 1846 d. 1847 Exeter DEV
|- Owen ANGEL b. 1848 d. 1865 Exeter DEV
|- Leonard ANGEL b. 1850 d. 1854 Exeter DEV

As can be seen, I don't believe he left any descendants in the male line, although his daughter Marian left several HEATH childen and PARKHOUSE grandchildren.  Can anyone add to the material shown here, please?  In particular, I'm looking for:-
- a record of Owen ANGEL's baptism, and the names of his parents
- any record of the marriage of Marian ANGEL to George O. HEATH, particularly if it shows whether Owen ANGEL was working as a photographer at the time

I am not related to the above family, but would be interested to hear from any researchers who do have a connection, please, particularly if they are able to shed any light on Owen Angel's life and career as a photographer.

Owen Angel started working in Exeter in the early 1840s as an engraver and a printer, became a lithographer in about 1846.  By Jan 1855 he had added photography to his repetoire, advertising "daily photographic portraits."  He was therefore one of Exeter's earliest, and ultimately most successful, portrait photographers.  He continued working until at least 1903, making a total of nearly sixty years in the business!

Angel had premises at 92 Fore Street, Exeter until about 1855, but between 1857 and 1859 his studio was listed at Bampfylde Street, Exeter [Source: Trade Directories].  From a carte de visite photo dated tentatively at between 1866 and 1869, he then worked from 11 High Street, Exeter.  He was still there in the late 1870s, although his residence was at 80 Black Boy road, St Sidwell's, Exeter.  He appears to have given up the High street premises some time in the early 1890s - by 1893 he was shown at 21 Longbrook street, Exeter, and then between 1895 and 1909 was at 25 Mount Dinham, St Davod's Hill, Exeter.

I am also looking for any trade directory entries for Owen Angel in the period 1859 to 1878, please, to help narrow down the dates which he spent at the various addresses.  Also if anyone has old family photos taken by the studio of Owen Angel, I would be very grateful for scanned images, to help with dating purposes.  I am compiling profiles along the same lines as the ones I have done for Derbyshire Photographers, and any images will be of great help.

Regards and best wishes,

Brett Payne
Tauranga, New Zealand

Offline Brett

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Owen ANGEL of Totnes & Exeter
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 June 05 10:48 BST (UK) »
For those interested, I now have a profile of and portfolio for Owen Angel (1821-1909) of Exeter, here.

Regards and best wishes,

Brett Payne

Offline CarriAngel

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 May 17 19:27 BST (UK) »
Hi

I know this is a very old post but if you are still interested in work by Owen Angel, I have just acquired one of his pieces which I am happy to scan for you.

Best Wishes
Carri

Offline Brett

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 04 May 17 21:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Carri.

Thanks for the kind offer. I haven't updated my page about Owen Angel for quite a while, but I'm still accumulating images, so please do send a scan of yours. [gluepot@gmail.com]

Regards, Brett

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 05 May 17 10:30 BST (UK) »
I presume you have this by now Brett?

OWEN Angel Christened 14 January 1821, Totnes, Devon
Parents THOMAS and MARY RENOTE Angel
Sibling;
JANE, 22 July 1819

Marriage;
Thomas ANGEL to Mary Rendle TAYLOR, 23 January 1818, Ermington, Devon

1841 Census
Fore Street,
Totnes, Devon
Thomas Angel, 50, Ironmonger
Mary Angel, 46
Marcia Angel, 18
Albert Angel, 8
Thomas Angel, 4
All born in Devon except Mary.

1851 Alfred is with his Brother FRANCIS born c 1825 Totnes.
Francis is a Watchmaker and Alfred an Engravers Apprentice.

1851 they are mistranscribed;
Still in Fore Street.
Thomas Agnes, 60, Head, Mar, Alderman/Ironmonger, born Broadhempston, Devon
Mary R Agnes, 54, Wife, Mar, born London
Thomas Agnes, 13, Son, Errand Boy, born Totnes Broadhempston, Devon
Susan Gegg, 28, Servant
Elen Bird, 42, Visitor, Widow, Schoolmistress, born Devonport

1861 the image is impossible to read.

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Brett

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 05 May 17 11:04 BST (UK) »
No, I hadn't, so thank you very much Trish. Regards, Brett

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 05 May 17 13:27 BST (UK) »
Your welcome :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)