Author Topic: Philip Adnet Webb.  (Read 2020 times)

Offline chrish53

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Philip Adnet Webb.
« on: Friday 12 August 11 12:30 BST (UK) »
Through my years of doing family research I have, as no doubt everyone else has, had some successes and also hit some brick walls. Withe Philip Adnet Webb I have followed most of his life but the trail went cold from 1946. I just wonder what happened to him.

He was born in Harbourne, Birmingham in 1907 the son of Charles Joseph Webb (1870-1935) and Jessie Webb (1869-1949) nee Southam. He left England on the 4th October 1928 bound for Peru as a clerk. He returned for a few months after his father's death accompanied by his Peruvian wife Graciella Leonor (1917-?) landing at Liverpool 24th December 1935. They embarked for the return trip in Liverpool 8th May 1936.

The next record shows he and the family; Graciella and the two children, Richard C. V. Webb (1937) and Jessie Anne (1939), in bound San Diego 18th November 1943 bound for Canada. Then 17th July 1946 shows Graciella and Jessie Anne heading for Peru and calling into Washington State in a ship, their home being given as Halifax, Canada. No sign, yet of the return trip.

I know I am asking a bit much and in tend to post this twice in Canada and other countries, is there a record anywhere of what became of them and the births of the children and/or their wedding?

Any guidance/ help gratefully received.
I tried being normal once, it was the worst 5 minutes of my life!
Chris

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Philip Adnet Webb.
« Reply #1 on: Friday 12 August 11 18:42 BST (UK) »
Then 17th July 1946 shows Graciella and Jessie Anne heading for Peru and calling into Washington State in a ship, their home being given as Halifax, Canada. No sign, yet of the return trip.

I'm not sure if you caught the second page of that passenger list.  There is two lists for the same ship, as it looks like it was called back to port, and she and Jessie were stuck aboard as they had no American visa.

Anyway, on the second page of one of those lists, it says at the time, her husband's location was the HMCS Naden and she was headed "home" to Peru, so maybe there was no return trip?

(Seeings he was at both Halifax, and the HMCS Naden, it almost sounds like he was working with the transfer of the Navy from Britain to Canada, but I *think* it was completed years before that? Just a though in case he has some navy records out there.)

Edit to add:

It looks like the records are slowly getting online, but I didn't find your people at familysearch (yet):
https://wiki.familysearch.org/en/Peru_Civil_Registration

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 12 August 11 23:54 BST (UK) »
I did a search at Find My Past in the "British Nationals Born Overseas 1818-2005" database and there are births for Jessie A and Richard CV Webb in Peru listed. This means you can order their birth registrations through the GRO in England (here's their website - order under "overseas births"):
http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

And here are the details that you would need to use when ordering them:

For Jessie:
Consulate: Lima, Peru
Year: 1936-1940
Volume: 33
Page: 485

And for Richard, it's the same except for the following:
Volume: 32
Page: 460

There were other births with the surname Webb in Peru between 1936 and 1960 but the database doesn't give any details regarding parents so there would be no way of knowing if they are the same family or not without ordering them.

Then 17th July 1946 shows Graciella and Jessie Anne heading for Peru and calling into Washington State in a ship, their home being given as Halifax, Canada. No sign, yet of the return trip.

That change was only made on the Seattle passenger list. The ship stopped in California on the same voyage and it has their last residence still as Lima. It's possible the handwritten change made on the Seattle passenger list may have been a mistake.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline chrish53

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 04 September 11 15:29 BST (UK) »
Sorry for the delay in replying, I have been sunning myself on the Adriatic coast of Croatia.    :D

Thank you both for your help it has been fantastic and has helped me no end. I am beginning to believe that maybe the marriage had come to an end and Graciela was homeward bound permanently. It begs the question  why only the daughter and not the son? I need some more research, I will try upgrading my Ancestry membership and start a BMD search in Canada.

The return to port is also intriguing, though not for Jessie and Graciela as they had to remain on board as they had not the requisite visas for the US.

HMCS Naden was a shore station, training as far as I can make out. PAW was a clerk in Peru so I wonder how he would have fitted in except in an administrative capacity?
Chris

Offline chrish53

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 12 August 15 21:14 BST (UK) »
I did a search at Find My Past in the "British Nationals Born Overseas 1818-2005" database and there are births for Jessie A and Richard CV Webb in Peru listed. This means you can order their birth registrations through the GRO in England (here's their website - order under "overseas births"):
http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

And here are the details that you would need to use when ordering them:

For Jessie:
Consulate: Lima, Peru
Year: 1936-1940
Volume: 33
Page: 485

And for Richard, it's the same except for the following:
Volume: 32
Page: 460

There were other births with the surname Webb in Peru between 1936 and 1960 but the database doesn't give any details regarding parents so there would be no way of knowing if they are the same family or not without ordering them.

That change was only made on the Seattle passenger list. The ship stopped in California on the same voyage and it has their last residence still as Lima. It's possible the handwritten change made on the Seattle passenger list may have been a mistake.

Jacquie
I have been catching up with my Rootschat posts and I can pass on good news. Since this post some years ago, I can tell you that my third cousin; Jessie Webb who is the grand-daughter of Philip Adnet Webb, has been in touch through Ancestry.com. Phillip and Graciella returned to Peru. Their two children had families and I am now in touch with members of both families, including Richard son of Phillip. Thank you for your help.
Chris