Author Topic: john campleman harbour master  (Read 7789 times)

Offline campy

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
john campleman harbour master
« on: Monday 22 August 11 22:59 BST (UK) »
any info on john campelman iam his great ,great ,great grandson

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: john campleman harbour master
« Reply #1 on: Monday 22 August 11 23:20 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat but if you'd like help to find information you need to supply more details and tell us exactly what you are looking for.

Harbourmaster?- where? dates? Have you found him in any census records?...
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 August 11 09:53 BST (UK) »
In the 1871 Census, Bridlington Quay, Yorkshire, John Campleman, Harbour Master, age 77, Birth Year 1794, born Nafferton, Yorkshire. Wife Hannah Campleman, age 74. RG10; Piece: 4812; Folio: 7; Page: 8
Also in Bridlington Quay in the 1841, 1851, and 1861 censuses.

Stan

Moderator comment: moved to East Yorkshire in the light of stan's find.  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline macdonald444

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 30 May 12 18:17 BST (UK) »
Hi. I am new to research.

I was looking for information on John Campleman b1796 who was harbour Master in Bridlington, in a general google search when this thread appeared.

My wife is the 3rd great-grandaughter of John Campleman.

We are trying to find any information as to whether he had any siblings and also his parents names.

Can you help?

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 31 May 12 10:09 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome to Rootschat...according to a tree on Ancestry...John Campleman was born to:

Christopher Campleman c. 1770 and Fanny Dandy b. 1771..his siblings were...Christopher b. 1793 and Betty b. 1803

John was married to Hannah Armstrong b. 1796-1879

On the 1841 census It names the following children for John and Hannah:
Charles 15
Thomas 14
Christopher 8
Hannah 4

In 1851 they are at the same place with an additional Daughter Frances age 7

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline macdonald444

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 31 May 12 10:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol

Many thanks for the information.

It gives all the information I was looking for and had been unable to find, but just as importantly confirms the links I had found to his children.

Once again many thanks

David

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 31 May 12 11:00 BST (UK) »
My pleasure David....If you have any further queries regarding Camplemans of Bridlington I suggest you post them on a different thread and will get lots of help...This is useful:

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline cjl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 31 May 12 11:08 BST (UK) »
David,

A very warm welcome to Rootschat from me also.

I have a transcript of Bridlington Priory baptisms and also some burials which include entries which I think relate to John and Hannah Campleman's children.  Would you like the details, if so let me know and I will post the details.

Best Wishes
CJL
Redshaw -  Yorkshire.
 Ireland - East Yorkshire,
Slater - East Yorkshire,
Petts - Yorkshire, Derbyshire,
 Hughes - Yorkshire, Staffordshire,
Blackham - Derbyshire, Staffordshire,
Mason - Derbyshire, Yorkshire, Huntingdonshire
Leach - Thornton, West Yorkshire
Driver - Thornton, West Yorkshire
Ambler - Thornton, West Yorkshire
Drake -  Thornton, West Yorkshire
Holland - Staffordshire, Durham
Owen - Staffordshire, Gloucestershire

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 17 June 12 15:27 BST (UK) »
No doubt you have this already :

Duties of a Harbour Master
The Hull Packet and East Riding Times (Hull, England), Friday, November 27, 1863; Issue 4114

William COOK, master of the schooner, William, of Yarmouth, appeared to answer the complaint of Stephen Postill and seven others, pilots of Bridlington Quay, for not paying some salvage claimed by them for services rendered to the said schooner when in distress in Bridlington Bay, on the 3rd instant. It appeared that about 2 o'clock on the above morning, these boatman were in the bay looking out for vessels, when they met with the said schooner riding at anchor outside the Smithwick, having lost all her  sails, and making so much water that the crew could just keep the pumps sucking, and they were nearly exhausted. When these men got on board they asked the captain for £200 to take him into Bridlington Harbour. He said it was far too much, and he would leave it to the gentlemen to settle on shore. They replied No, they would have a bargain; and if he would give them £120, they would leave him. The captain then agree to give that sum. They got the vessel into harbour by eleven O'clock the same morning. The cargo (coals) was valued at £50, and John CAMPLEMAN, harbour master, was called to prove the value of the schooner, when he said she was the worst he had ever seen, and he did not think she was worth £60-Mr. Summers, of Hull, appeared for the boatman, and Mr. Richardson, of Bridlington, for the captain. The bench awarded them £60.

The Hull Packet and East Riding Times (Hull, England), Friday, October 3, 1873; Issue 4630
DEATHS
 Campleman, November 27, at Bridlington Quay, aged 79 years, John Campleman, Harbour Master at that place.

Tom