Author Topic: Robert Hales 1813 - 1863 The Norfolk Giant  (Read 8520 times)

Offline herrings

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Hales 1813 - 1863 The Norfolk Giant
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 08 December 16 10:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi, please explain how you know William is your ancestor ?  I have been researching for many years not just Robert Hales but lots of others.  Before I am ready to share my hundreds and hundreds of hours work I need to establish who is the recipient.  First, I assume from the time the message was posted that you do not lived in the UK?  Do you know of any other people who have William as an ancestor.  I do, and in regular contact with them.  My husband's ancestor is Thomas the very younger brother.  Once I hear back from you we can establish how we wish to communicate.  Open forums are very good for beginners to make contacts but not the place to give away all you know.
Look forward to hearing from you.

Offline trustnjc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 09 December 16 06:42 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the info. I need to put on my family tree software now. Our direct descendant is William and Ann Bultitude. Unknown as to how many children they had but Charles Edward Hales was one of them. Charles married Mary Ann Tomlin. They had Charles Edward, Martha Swift, Emma Mary. Martha is descendant. Martha Swift Hales m. Wright Ellis Cox. Ida Francis Cox (daughter) m. Henry Joseph Gerke,Sr. Who had Matilda Martha, Martha Swift, Henry Joseph, Wright Ellis. Henry Joseph, Jr. m. Sara Elizabeth Heathcote. They had Henry Joseph III, Bruce Wright, Christine Carol. (That's me)
All this to say my daughter inherited a genetic disorder that has traveled through generations and its biggest symptom is excessive height which the early Hales posessed. Many also died of illnesses of the lungs. Any more infor you have regarding William & Ann's Children & Charles Edward children would be helpful.
Thank you.

Offline trustnjc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 09 December 16 06:53 GMT (UK) »
herrings:
No I have never been to England. My bucket list as I have other family descendants also in England on my mother's side as well as in Ireland.

My line comes through William and Ann Bulitude's child named Charles Edward. He moved to Philadelphia Pennsylvania. He married Mary Ann Tomlin. They had Charles Edward, Martha Swift and Emma Mary.
Martha Swift Hales married Wright Ellis Cox (2nd marriage). They had Ida Francis Cox.
Ida Francis Cox married Henry Joseph Gerke, Sr. They had Matilda Martha Gerke, Martha Swift Gerke, Henry Joseph Gerke Jr. Wright Ellis Gerke.
Henry Joseph Gerke, Jr. married Sara Elizabeth Heathcote. They had Henry Joseph Gerke, III , Bruce Wright Gerke and Christine Carol Gerke. (That's me)
Does that help. I love working on the family trees. I was told over & over again about the Norfolk Giant while growing up but never looked into it until now.

Online amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 11 December 16 07:32 GMT (UK) »
Ann Hales nee Bultitude age22 with son William age 2 arrived Philadelphia 4 March 1830.
Still cannot find her husband William.

1840 Census Philadelphia
1 male 40-49 = William Hales
1 female 30-39 = wife Ann
1 female 20-29 = sister Hester who emigrated 1838
2 females 5-9 from 1850 this is Susan and Anna
1 male 10-14 is son William born England
1 male  under 5 from 1850 this is Charles.

1850 Census 5th Ward Southwark Philadelphia
William Hales 46 Moulder born England
Ann 48  born England
Susan 17 born Phiadelphia
Anna 16
Charles 12
Robert 9
Emma 7

1860 Census  Philadelphia  house 1109
William Hales 67  s/b 57
Anna 53
Robert 19
Samuel 16 (missed on 1850)

Daughter Emma Hales age 18 is next door at 1107

1863 male only listing. Philadelphia
 William P Hales age 36(son of William and Ann)
William Hales 60
Robert Hales 23

1870 census Philadelphia, Ward 1 District 2
William Hales 68
Anna 65
Robert 29
next door is  daughter Emma now Emma Knight 27 wife of William Knight born England with son Albert age 2

1880 census Philadelphia taken 5-7 June 1880
William Hales  76 Junk Dealer - Dead  ( he died 6th June 1880)
Ann 74
Emma Knight daughter 36
Albert C grandson 11
William J, grandson 8.

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 11 December 16 08:12 GMT (UK) »
  Open forums are very good for beginners to make contacts but not the place to give away all you know.
👎👎👎

That's a bit harsh!!  Sorry to say this, but Rootschat is a forum where members can happily and safely share, and request  our information in two ways.  Either in the public pages, or by PM if desired for more sensitive postings..  You won't find too many people on here with your opinion, not much point in a lot of members happily helping someone find further information, only to find they already have it! Rootschat is much more that! 
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline trustnjc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 14 December 16 07:26 GMT (UK) »
 :) Thank you for all the information that I've receive over these past few weeks. The Hales family from England most likely has passed through the generations a connective tissue disorder called Marfan Syndrome which is characterized by excessive height, long narrow fingers and toes, toes also curl inward, flexible joints, flat feet, crowded teeth,, lung issues like asthma and sleep apnea as well. Marfan syndrome can affect many parts of the body, and each person is affected differently. This is called variable expression. Features can even vary among people in the same family who have the condition. This condition overlaps another connective tissue disorder called Ehlers Danlos Hypermobility. Since the Hales family line had excessive height and had lung issues the common theory is they also had Marfan Syndrome. This is why I enjoy studying the past family generations to locate where these genetic conditions started. Thanks for all the help. I will share more about the Hales family line soon. Christine