Author Topic: William Waddell and Charlotte Davis  (Read 9561 times)

Offline fairsea

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Waddell and Charlotte Davis
« on: Wednesday 31 August 11 07:18 BST (UK) »
Hi, Can anyone help me find the birth of William Waddell, which was somewhere in Scotland according to the 1841 English census.  He  married Charlotte Davis in St Mary Magdalen Church, Woolwich in 1832 and his father was Peter, a musician.  His daughter Eliza came to Australia in 1853.  William was in the Royal Artillery.
Many thanks,
Greenside.

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: William Waddell and Charlotte Davis
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 31 August 11 11:11 BST (UK) »
hi Greenside

welcome to rootschat  :)

how old was william on the 1841 census ?

would his military service provide any further clues ?

http://www.rma-searcher.co.uk/chelsea/RPDF/RMACorps/RA.pdf

one entry for a william waddell , parents william and charlotte
could be a son.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline fairsea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 31 August 11 13:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Ev,
Thanks for that.  Yes, it is the family I am researching, but what does it mean, do you know?  What is this a list of?   Could it be a list of children, whose father's were serving overseas in the Army, or even dead.  I know William and Charlotte were both dead by 1853. 

I'm afraid looking at William's Army Records is out of the question as I live in Australia and paying for a researcher would cost too much.

I have found William and Charlotte on the 1841 English census, with children, Julia, Eliza, Elizabeth and Emma.  Can't find them on the 1851 census.  I can't seem to find William on Find My Past either.   Thanks ever so much for your help, it is greatly appreciated.
Greenside.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 31 August 11 17:43 BST (UK) »
So, he was listed as aged 35 in the 1841 census, and was living in Circular Redoubt, Eastbourne, with Charlotte and four daughters, all born in England.

Ages in the 1841 census were (supposed to be) rounded down to the nearest 5 years, and the census date was 7 June 1841. So William could have been born any time from 8 June 1801 to 7 June 1806.

There is one possible match in the International Genealogical Index: William Waddell, born 26 November and baptised 3 December 1809 in Perth, parents Peter Waddell and Mary Dow. This couple also had children named Jane, George, Catherine and Thomas. However it is vital to realise that just because he is the only one in the available records, he may not be the right one. There could be another William Waddell, son of Peter, born in that time period, of whose birth and baptism no record has survived.

I think you really have to get hold of his Army record. If. for instance, this gives his birthplace as Perth and the age matches, then you can be reasonably confident you have the right man.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 31 August 11 18:45 BST (UK) »
i'm not too sure what that list is  ???

looks like boys and girls of service men(?) perhaps being cared for/ schooled
until they are approx. 14 years of age

if you note the column with remarks like "delivered to parents" and "army volunteer" , even "delivered to his friends - in america via liverpool"

sounds like an obligation of some sort to care for these children  :-\

ev

Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline fairsea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 01 September 11 10:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone for their help and suggestions.  Greenside.

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 02 September 11 00:41 BST (UK) »
looks like an admissions list from the Royal Military Asylum, Chelsea

http://www.rma-searcher.co.uk/chelsea/index.htm

http://www.caroledivall.co.uk/the-royal-military-asylum-chelsea

so it would seem that William senior had died before the admission of his son, William Thomas. The son was born in St Helier, Jersey. According to his army papers, he was 18 on 2/3/1861 & married Louisa Jane Burrows in Teheran 26/10/1869

No need to pay a researcher, the papers for pensioned men are on Findmypast, but if William senior died in service as seems likely, there won't be any pension records.   

http://www.findmypast.co.uk/welcome.jsp

There's an Elizabeth Waddell b. Devon, Stoke Damerel in 1851 as a servant in the household in Plumstead of George Oliphant of the RHA & a baptism in Stoke Damerel for Elizabeth Ann Davis Waddal daughter of William & Charlotte bp 9/10/1836 , father being a corporal in the Royal Artillery. So the younger sister of your Eliza.

Emma Mary was baptised 15/9/1839 in the Scots Church in Woolwich, IGI extracted batch C068791
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline fairsea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 04 September 11 03:01 BST (UK) »
Dear Osprey,
Thanks heaps for the info about Army Records on Find my Past ,I didn't know that they were only for pensioned soldiers. and the Asylum Records.  I think I have found Charlotte Waddle's death on the London Parish Deaths on Ancestry and a daughter Margaret Waddle in the Back of the Red Lion, Greenwich.  Also for the other info on Elizabeth and Emma.  Greatly Appreciated. 

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 04 September 11 19:32 BST (UK) »
the same records show a burial of a Peter Waddell aged 54 at St John the Baptist, Woolwich in 1816. Wonder if he is the father? He may have been a musician in the Royal Artillery.

Margaret's baptism on 6/4/1845 reduces the period to search for William senior's death. Her death certificate should show if William is dead by that date
Margaret Waddle sept qtr 1847 Greenwich vol 5 pg 189

:-\
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb