Author Topic: Brindley family originally from Audley, Staffs.  (Read 4140 times)

Offline griz

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Brindley family originally from Audley, Staffs.
« on: Thursday 05 May 05 03:55 BST (UK) »
Wondering if anyone connects to this branch of the Brindley family? :)

John Brindley b  1792  Parish of Audley Staffs.
 Father was William Brindley, Iron Monger.
 John enlisted in the 2nd Regiment, Life Guards at Newcastle-under-Lyme in July 1815 age 23.  He gave his occupation as a 'nailer'

He spent 25 years in the service and served  'with good conduct' in England. He left due to ill health. He spent most of his life in Kensington, Chelsea and Windso, Berks..

He married ( I do not know his first wife's  name I would really like to have that information) and had at least 2 children:  John Jr,  b about 1822 and William, b about 1828.

In 1839,  John Brindley ( now a Widower) married for the second time to Martha Adams  ( B 1814) at St Luke's, Chelsea.

They had a daughter, also Martha, born 1839. at Spital, New Windsor.

On the 1841 census,  living nr. Queen's Terrace, Chelsea were: John Brindley,  47 ( now a Blacksmith.) nb London
 Martha Brindley wife, age 27 b. London
 Martha  Brindley dau age 2 b London
and William Brindley (son 1st marriage) age 14 not born London.

On the 1851 census, Shepherd's Bush, Hammersmith.

John Brindley, 59, Chelsea Pensioner, b Audley Staffs.
Martha Brindley, wife 36 laundress, b London, Mdx
John  Brindley Jr, son ( of 1st marriage) 29 M Tailor b Windsor, Berks.
Mary  Brindley, daughter 19 M Bonnet maker, b King's County Ireland
( This is probably a mistake and Mary is likely a daughter-in-law married to John Jr.?
(William Brindley, son ( of 1st marriage) living elsewhere as a servant.  Unknown where he was born.
Martha Brindley, daughter 11 scholar b Windsor, Berks.
Henry Brindley son 9 scholar b Chelsea Mdx.
Richard Brindley, son 2 b Shepherd's Bush.

Feb 1852 William Brindley 22 Bachelor Servant,  married

Sarah Willies 20 Spinster at Hammersmith Parish.
Her father, Geo Willies, labourer
His father, John Brindley, Soldier 2nd Life Guards.
Witnesses: James John Brindley (I don't knowwho he is?) and Mary Brindley.

In 1855 John Brindley died, age about 63, St Paul's Hammersmith. Present at the death, Mary Brindley, 7 British Grove, Chiswick. 

Census 1861 Hammersmith,  I have:
 William Brindley M 33 Coal Porter b Windsor, Berks.
Sarah (Willies) Brindley wife M 28 Laundress, b East hamstead Berks.
Teresa Brindley dau 6 b East Hamstead, Berks.
Walter Brindley son 4  b Hammersmith, Mdx.
John Brindley son 2     b Hammersmith, Mdx.

If anyone finds any of these other Brindleys mentioned on the 1851 on the 1861 census I would be very grateful to have that information)

1862, St Mary's church district chapel, West Brompton MDX
Marriage:
William Leach 25 bachelor bricklayer,
7 Colchester Terrace, Mdx.  Father,  Stephen Leach, bricklayer.

Martha Ann Brindley 23 Spinster
Father, John Brindley, soldier.

Census 1871 Chelsea, 8 Pembroke Place, I have:
 William Leach 35 Bricklayer, b Buckenham Norfolk,
 Martha (Brindley) Leach 33  Laundress, b Windsor
Amelia Leach dau 6  b Chelsea
Mary (Ann?) Leach  dau 5 b Chelsea
Annie Leach dau 14 months b Hammersmith.

Both William Leach and Martha ( Brindley) Leach( daughter of John the Soldier) died young and the girls were sent to an orphanage in Surrey.

Some of the following is  unverified and speculative:
 John Brindley,( b about 1859) son of William Brindley (son of John the soldier) and Sarah (Willies) Brindley married  Caroline( nee?)  b about  1855, they had a son, George Brindley, b 1880.

Henry Brindley( Son of John the Soldier) b 1841 M Amelia Platt they had 6 children, Sarah,( b 1869) Mary, (b 1870) Edward, (b 1874)John,( b 1876) Mary( b 1879). Walter( B 1881)

Richard Brindley(son of John the soldier) b 1849 M Phoebe
(nee ?) had 4 children: Francis S ( female)(b 1873)Mary (b 1875) Elizabeth ( b 1876) Walter (b 1884)

Boyle, Co. Leitrim  Boyle, Co. Tyrone, Shaughnessy, Co. Limerick, and  Manchester, UK.  Pope, Cheshire. Chadwick, Speke, Lancs.  Frankish, Hunmanby, Yorks.  Brindley, Audley, Staffs and  Middlesex.

Offline lainey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Brindley family originally from Audley, Staffs.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 05 May 05 09:57 BST (UK) »
Hi, I have been researching my family tree for a couple of years and have now just started researching my boyfriends.  He is a Brindley and from what I have gathered so far his GGGG Grandfather was Thomas Brindley born Lichfield Stafford abt 1829, his son was Ernest Robert Brindley born abt 1867 in Southampton, his son was Victor T Brindley born Canning Town Essex abt 1900, his son was Roy born 1928 in Southampton.

I have more info but I thought I would just send this to see if you think there is a link there somewhere.

Best wishes

Lainey
Cole, Lawrence, Sturgess, Terry, Wareham, Broomfield, Taylor, Lovett, Davis, Brindley

Offline griz

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 06 May 05 01:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Lainey,
 thank you for your reply. I do not know of a link to your Brindleys at the present time. I will certainly let you know if I find one later. There are a heck of a lot of Brindleys from Staffordshire so I imagine that way back we are all connected  :D  It is interesting that your Brindleys also moved South.  Good hunting! 
Boyle, Co. Leitrim  Boyle, Co. Tyrone, Shaughnessy, Co. Limerick, and  Manchester, UK.  Pope, Cheshire. Chadwick, Speke, Lancs.  Frankish, Hunmanby, Yorks.  Brindley, Audley, Staffs and  Middlesex.

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 30 May 06 02:51 BST (UK) »
Hiya Folks,

You have a lot of good detail in your post there Griz.
It looks as though you spent some time searching for information.

Griz asked me about John's daughter Mary, born in Kings County (Offaly) Ireland.
I looked at www.failtesomhat.com and noticed a number of Brindleys in Co. Tipperary in 1850 - 51. That was when Griffiths Valuation was conducted in the county. This is not an Irish surname so I suppose those Brindleys travelled from Staffordshire, or Middlesex, to fight for the British against the Irish in one of the small disturbances there.

All the Best, Chris