Author Topic: Wheatlands, Sussex and a mystery  (Read 6322 times)

Offline Barbara2543

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Wheatlands, Sussex and a mystery
« Reply #9 on: Monday 14 November 16 17:25 GMT (UK) »
My Maternal Granddad was George Wheatland.  We all came from Croydon.  We had an Uncle Foster, my grandads brother who lived in Croydon. We also had an Aunty Alice. A very god fearing lady.  When I searched a while ago specifically for a link to the name Foster which is a very unusual forename I found it to be linked to Wheatland  and that makes sense to why I had an Uncle Foster.   I found the first link of Foster Wheatland  at Burnt House Cottage Shipley. I too wondered why Ollive would marry someone much younger. But  you have to remember that in those days you couldn't just move from one town, parrish to another. You had to have a job there or a good enough connection or there would be a removal order made to remove you back to your parrish of birth. It's possible that if Ollive lost  her husband (I assume of surname Biggs)  she may well have remarried William Wheatland or she might have ended up in the poor house. William may have been happy to marry to enable him to stay in the village of Ifield.   It is possible that having lost her husband, Ollive ended living with the Kilners in Ifield where Charles Ifield was born. he married William and  had his child. I think she went to Ifield because she had some connection to Mary Ann Kilner who was born in Rusper where here Biggs children were born. Then they all moved to Shipley where William came from just before the cenus.  Only theories. I assumed the step children Julia, Foster and Henry all changed their name from Biggs to Wheatland and are probably connected to the Foster, Alice, George Wheatland (my grandad) from Croydon as this is the only line where the name Foster and Wheatland exists.  So if you are descendants from William Wheatland who married Olive (Biggs) Wheatland then you are also descended from a Famous lady from Bognor in the link below.    If you are descended from Julia, Foster or Henry, this isn't going to help you much.

http://www.bognor.co.uk/lifestyle/nostalgia/beach-life-was-a-lot-safer-when-mary-was-around-1-6976763

Burnt House Cottage:
RG9/ Piece: 609/ Folio: 77/ Page: 17 & 18
Head: William WHEATLAND 23, Ag Lab, b Shipley, Sussex
Wife: Ollive WHEATLAND 42, b Newdigate, Surrey
Step-Dau: Julia BIGGS 21, b Rusper, Sussex
Step-Son: Foster BIGGS 10, Scholar, b Rusper, Sussex
Step-Son: Henry BIGGS 8, Scholar, b Rusper, Sussex
Step-Son: William BIGGS 6, Scholar, b Rusper, Sussex
Step-Son: John BIGGS 2, b Rusper, Sussex
Daughter: Ellen WHEATLAND 5 mths, b Ifield, 
(this is probably "Emma" of the 1871).
Lodger: Charles KILLENER 27, marr, Ag Lab, b Ifield, Sussex