Author Topic: TAYLOR family; Montreal, Canada.  (Read 24336 times)

Offline CelticAnnie

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
TAYLOR family; Montreal, Canada.
« on: Friday 09 September 11 17:34 BST (UK) »
Hello!

I have no access to Canadian records :'( and could really use some help tracing some Taylors in Montreal.

This is what I know:

Archibald D Taylor m Mary Davies in Scotland.  (Have no dates for this couple at all!)

They had a son born in England on 24th May 1830: James Williamson Taylor.

Then about the only other documentary evidence I have is photos of various Taylors, all taken in Montreal -- for once, helpfully annotated on back. (I assume before being sent back to my relatives in UK).  These are:

James Williamson Taylor                   (undated; but photo depicts late-middle-                                                                                                           aged man)
Thomas M Taylor                               (dated 1882; late-middle-aged man)
Mrs Thomas M Taylor                         (dated 1882; late-middle-aged woman)
Mary Isobel Taylor                             (dated 1891; girl in mid teens-ish)

I know James and Thomas also had a sister: Margaret Peploe Taylor.  This is known because she married her cousin, Huntley Mackay (b Inverness, Scotland; emigrated to Canada in 1840, aged 18 -- we know quite a lot about HIM!) in 1868 in Montreal.

Since there is evidence of all three siblings being in Montreal, I assume their parents likely emigrated there.  But I have no idea when (or even, for sure, that they did!).

Although the Taylors are fairly distant relatives of mine, it would be really lovely to be able to add some flesh to these names and photos.  Anything that anyone with access to Canadian records can turn up without going to a great deal of trouble (census records, perhaps?) would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks! :D
CELTIC ANNIE
PEPLOE/PEPLOW: Shropshire, Inverness
DAVIES: Inverness, Montgomeryshire, Ruabon
OWEN: Edinburgh, Aberystwyth, Middlesex, Essex, Kendal, Berwick, Montgomeryshire
TROLLOPE: Warwickshire, Middlesex
TAYLOR & McKAY: Montreal, Canada

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: TAYLOR family; Montreal, Canada.
« Reply #1 on: Friday 09 September 11 17:49 BST (UK) »
Here are some freebies to get you started  :).

You can access the Canadian censuses for free at these links.

1871, 1881 (includes images unlike the census from familysearch), 1891 .... click on 'Census of Canada' for the relevant year.

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/genealogy/022-911.009-e.html

1852, 1901, 1911

http://automatedgenealogy.com/

Montreal directories .... start at 'serie principale' and it will be English after that .....

http://bibnum2.bnquebec.ca/bna/lovell/index.html

Polarbear

We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline CelticAnnie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 09 September 11 18:05 BST (UK) »
thanks, polarbear!  I'd no idea there were ANY Canadian records that could be accessed free of charge (yippee! :D); so this is great news.  I will get straight on to these and see what I can unearth!

many thanks to you for your trouble.

CELTIC ANNIE
OWEN: Edinburgh, Aberystwyth, Middlesex, Essex, Kendal, Berwick, Montgomeryshire

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 09 September 11 18:21 BST (UK) »
You're most welcome. Happy hunting!

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 09 September 11 19:33 BST (UK) »
You might check if your local library subscribes to Ancestry Library Edition. This would give you access to the Drouin Collection which has parish registers for Quebec with images of each record. You can search for baptisms, marriages and burials. Civil registration in Quebec did not start until about 1994 (yes) so these are the only available records for this time period.

Looks like there was a 3rd brother Edward? He was a witness at Margaret's wedding to Huntley (Drouin Collection).

PB

Offline CelticAnnie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 09 September 11 20:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that, Polarbear!  I live in Texas -- things might be different in relation to what's accessible at our libraries, but I'll make enquiries.  So far, I've managed to unearth a d. o. b. for Margaret (wife of Huntley) from 1901 census records -- which is a good start!  :) But the other Taylors remain strangely elusive.  I'll keep looking, though; and thanks for the "heads up" about Edward -- hitherto completely unknown to me.

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 09 September 11 21:07 BST (UK) »
Ancestry Library Edition might also be available through your local Family History Center (the familysearch folks) if you are lucky enough to live near one of those. I understand some carry it.

PB

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 10 September 11 15:45 BST (UK) »
This family used the Montreal (Congretional Zion) church for a number of baptisms and burials.

Archibald Dunbar Taylor, civil engineer, d. 11 Aug 1865 age 72 with sons Edward and James witn
Mary Taylor (Davies) d. 14 Feb 1870

Burials for this family appear to be in Mont Royal Cemetery

There is a 4 Feb 1846 marriage in Montreal (Presbyterian Crescent) between Thomas Mallegaum Taylor and Mary Redpath and the following baptisms and deaths of children were in the Montreal (Congretional Zion) church.  Thomas was a banker

Redpath Taylor b. 11 March 1850
Archibald Dunbar Taylor b. 12 Oct 1853
Helen Ida Taylor b. 4 Dec 1856
Edward Thornton Taylor b. 13 Sept 1858
Mary Elizabeth b. 3 Mar 1847  d. 3 Nov 1861 age 13 years 8 months eldest daughter of Thomas
Alice Jane Taylor b. 10 Dec 1851 (married 7 Sep 1876 Alfred Walter Brailsford)
Margaret Beatrice Taylor b. 26 Feb 1862
Gertrude Francis Taylor b. 21 Sep 1859

Children between Edward Thornton Taylor  and Victoria Dougall
Thomas Malligaum Taylor b. 2 Jan 1856  d. 30 Jul 1863 age 6 1/2 years
Mary Francis Elizabeth b. 23 Jan 1857
James Dougall Taylor b. 27 Sept 1858 (father Manager of a branch of the Bank of Upper Canada)
Owen Llewellyn Taylor b. 18 Jun 1860  d. 5 Nov 1862 age 17 months
Alexandra Victoria Taylor b. 31 Mar 1862
Ida Beatrice Taylor b. 2 Dec 1864
Kate Peploe Taylor b. 3 July 1866
Allan Davies Taylor b. 22 Dec 1873
Douglas Thornton Taylor b. 27 Aug 1870

Children between James Taylorand Mabel Louisa White
May Isobel Taylor b. 10 Jul 1874
Edith Taylor b. 15 Jan 1877  d. 9 Feb 1877

Victoria Dougall w/o Edward Taylor d. 13 March 1898 age 60 Montreal (Anglican Saint Martin)

James Williamson Taylor d. 26 Jan 1892 Westmont (Presbyterian Melville) refers to his employment at the Caledonia Insurance Co.
1891 census he is in Cote St. Antoine Hochelaga with wife Mabel 20 years his junior and daughters Isabella 15, Dasie 13 and Lillian 9.  Also sister-in-law Emily White.

Debbie

Offline CelticAnnie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 10 September 11 16:25 BST (UK) »
Debbie, this is WONDERFUL, WONDERFUL, WONDERFUL stuff!  So much detail; and tons and tons and tons of information.  I find it hard to find words to express how very grateful (and excited!) I am to have all this; but bless you!   :-* :) Am going to have a lovely time, this afternoon, slotting all this info. into my family tree!

Interesting to have Edward confirmed as son of Archibald, as 1852 census suggests Archibald could only have been 12 years old when he had him!   :D  I did wonder if perhaps he was a younger brother who emigrated with him. (But then we all know dates can be out a bit).

Was aware there was a link with the Zion church as Huntley Mackay had his second marriage there, but of course I don't have access to records.

Once again, thank you so, so much -- you have literally made my weekend!

CELTIC ANNIE