Author Topic: TAYLOR family; Montreal, Canada.  (Read 24337 times)

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: TAYLOR family; Montreal, Canada.
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 11 September 11 08:24 BST (UK) »
Allen Davies Taylor (s/o Edward Thornton and Victoria) married 19 Oct 1898 at Montreal (Saint Patrick) - Catholic church
Marriage to Mary Catherine Corinne Kinsela.
1901 census they are in Montreal Saint Antoine under Alan D. and Katherine
1911 census in the St. Laurent section of Montreal.  Son Edward C.H. (9) is with them.
Edward Charles Hosmer Taylor marries 23 Sep 1926 to Mary Louise therese Alain and at least one child - a son is born 20 Aug 1927.  D.J.A. Taylor

Douglas Thornton Taylor married 21 June 1902 at Quebec (Saint Andrews') to Grace Caroline Anderson and on the 1911 census they are living in Sherbrooke Quebec with daughter Helen Anderson Taylor.  B. 23 April 1903 at Montreal.  Married at Levis (Church of Scotland) 14 Sep 1929 to Horace Roland Willmott.  Her father was deceased at the time.

Death for Douglas Taylor 21 Dec 1926 Levis (church of Scotland) with burial at Mont Royal Cemetery Montreal

Lots for you to work with

Debbie

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 13 September 11 22:27 BST (UK) »
There is a marriage for Archibald Taylor and Mary Davies taking place in Petty, Inverness on 9 Dec 1820 at ScotlandsPeople. This Archibald is said to be the overseer for the Earl of Moray and Mary the daughter of Mr. Davies, Mains of Connage. Could this be your couple?

SP also has birth/baptism entries for Thomas Taylor, son of Archibald Taylor and Mary Davis, in Inverness dated 22 May 1822 and for Edward Thornton Taylor, son of Archibald Taylor and Mary Davie in Aberdeen dated 20 Jun 1824. No occupation is listed for Archibald on Thomas' entry but the entry for Edward indicates he was a merchant.

By the way, I believe the ages for Archibald D. Taylor and Mrs. Taylor are 58, not 38 on the 1851 census.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline CelticAnnie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 14 September 11 15:19 BST (UK) »
Hello, Jacquie!

Thank you so much for this valuable extra info! :-*  It's extremely helpful to have a bit more of the extensive Davies family's activities in Scotland "pinned down".  (My ggggrandmother was a Davies).  I'm also extremely grateful for the helpful further dates/places relating to the Taylors that you have found. 

Scotlandspeople -- doh!  I would have gotten there eventually (honest!); it was more a case that I hadn't gotten around to researching Archibald+Mary much yet than that I hadn't been able to find anything on them. But, as something of a "technophobe" and a relative "newbie" to genealogy, I don't find Scotlandspeople easy to "navigate" (I'll keep working on that, though!) so it's very helpful to know what's on there to be found before I go and try and locate the records myself.  Left to my own devices, I know I could easily have hunted for and not found this stuff -- or some of it.  Thank you so, so much for that.  This was really very kind of you.    :-*

So I'm a VERY happy girl, today! :D  My Rootschat family are a wonderful lot!  (I never dreamed I'd end up with all this when I started this post!)

CELTIC ANNIE
PEPLOE/PEPLOW: Shropshire, Inverness
DAVIES: Inverness, Montgomeryshire, Ruabon
OWEN: Edinburgh, Aberystwyth, Middlesex, Essex, Kendal, Berwick, Montgomeryshire
TROLLOPE: Warwickshire, Middlesex
TAYLOR & McKAY: Montreal, Canada

Offline CelticAnnie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 14 September 11 15:48 BST (UK) »
p.s.  sorry, Jacquie, I should have confirmed that the Archibald and Mary you found are DEFINITELY the right couple.  I already knew of a link with Petty, Inverness in relation to other Davies family members -- and of the Mains of Connage link for Daddy Davies; this all confirms you've found the right pair. It's very helpful to have a further date (ie the wedding date you've located), though, to confirm when the Petty link/Mains of Connage were on-going.   :)

Thank you again!
OWEN: Edinburgh, Aberystwyth, Middlesex, Essex, Kendal, Berwick, Montgomeryshire

Offline chinakay

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Our housegoof
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 19 September 11 05:22 BST (UK) »
You can also have a look in the Lovell's Directory for Montreal here:
http://bibnum2.bnquebec.ca/bna/lovell/index.html

The introductory page is in French but subsequent pages are in English...select Serie Principale.

In 1900 James D Taylor was working for E T Taylor & Son, apparently something to do with insurance, and living at 491 St Urbain street which is right downtown. If you load 491 rue st-urbain, montreal into Google maps it will give you the location and also a modern image. The area has changed much over the years and today is right next to a major expressway. The address seems to be a Holiday Inn now, and across the street from a Metro station (subway).

Oh yes, and in around 1900 it was a heavily Jewish neighborhood, but now it's the Montreal Chinatown :)

Cheers,
China
Moore/Paterson~Montreal
Moore/Addison~New Brunswick
Jubb/Kerr~Mirfield~Halifax~Moffatt
Williams~Dolwyddelan

King~Bedfordshire~Hull
Jenkins~Somerset
Sellers~Hull

Offline chinakay

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Our housegoof
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 19 September 11 05:35 BST (UK) »
I see Polarbear already gave the link to the Lovell's....I should have read more carefully. But I bet she didn't know about Chinatown ;D

Cheers,
China
Moore/Paterson~Montreal
Moore/Addison~New Brunswick
Jubb/Kerr~Mirfield~Halifax~Moffatt
Williams~Dolwyddelan

King~Bedfordshire~Hull
Jenkins~Somerset
Sellers~Hull

Offline CelticAnnie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 19 September 11 15:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for these interesting additional snippets of info. Chinakay -- I'd not thought of google-mapping the address. :)

Cheers!

CELTIC ANNIE     

Offline St Bernard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 22 October 11 12:45 BST (UK) »
Hi

I know quite a bit about the Taylors as my wife is a direct descendant of Archibald Dunbar Taylor (christened April 11 1793). The oldest Taylor that I've found is Archibald's father Jo. who married Beatrix Brander. I've also some info on the Davies family which goes back to the 16th century and earlier in some cases. The name Mulligaum appears as a tribute to the brother of Mary Davies who was killed at the Batlle of Mulligaum in India.

I need to look through all the info in this thread to see how it tallies with what I have.

Photographs of Thomas Mulligaum Taylor and his wife Mary Redpath appear in the book A Gentleman of Substance The Life and Legacy of John Redpath (1796-1869) by Richard Feltoe.

Best regards

Jan

Offline CelticAnnie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 22 October 11 23:53 BST (UK) »
Hello Jan -- how wonderful to hear from you!  Am very excited to touch base with someone else who has Taylor and Davies connections, and look forward to comparing notes and hopefully swapping information about them with you.  But, unfortunately, right about now, I have to go out! :( :( :(  So I will post here again tomorrow; and then perhaps we can start personal messaging each other about these interesting families.

Meantime, if you have not found it already, would recommend you check out thread entitled "Thomas Davies, Esq. of Davies Place, Inverness" on the Scottish forum (sorry -- can't presently lay my hand on the web address; first post dates to 16th Jan. 2010) -- think you will find that (and its daughter thread) very interesting! 

Oh, and welcome to Rootschat!  As you will probably have already gathered from reading the entirety of this thread (ie my Taylor thread), there are a lot of very helpful and friendly folk hanging out on here.

Crikey, I'm now late -- must run!  Really looking forward to talking with you further!

Warm regards.

CELTICANNIE.