Author Topic: Adelphi Convent School, Salford  (Read 10687 times)

Offline Ruth1973

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Adelphi Convent School, Salford
« on: Friday 16 September 11 09:09 BST (UK) »
Hiya, I've got two ancestors who went to Adelphi Convent School in Salford.
I'm not sure at what age but both girls who went were born in 1888 and 1891 if that helps!

From googling it appears to be a boarding school but apart from that I've not been able to find much out on records on where it is / was and a picture.
Also ancestry doesn't seem to find the school on its records.

Can anyone help please?
Samson - Kent
Chater - London Area
Bultitude - London & Norfolk
Pounder / Smith / Lynch - Manchester & Salford & Ireland
Richards - Bridgend / Wales
Watkins - Glamorgan / Wales

Offline Dazey999

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Adelphi Convent School, Salford
« Reply #1 on: Friday 16 September 11 09:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Ruth

I just tried googling Adelphi Convent, Salford - and it seems it was Adelphi House at 43 The Crescent, Salford.  Yes, it was a boarding school run by the Faithful Companions of Jesus. 
Quite a lot of info here  http://www.salford.gov.uk/d/adelphi-appendix-b-web.pdf

Dazey

Offline Ruth1973

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 16 September 11 09:37 BST (UK) »
oh that's great, thank you very much.
I will have a look.
Samson - Kent
Chater - London Area
Bultitude - London & Norfolk
Pounder / Smith / Lynch - Manchester & Salford & Ireland
Richards - Bridgend / Wales
Watkins - Glamorgan / Wales

Offline emmsthheight

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 16 September 11 19:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Ruth

Some of our family went to Adelphi a little later than this and certainly by 193o's it was not all boarding.  They lived locally and I'm pretty sure it was by a scholarship.  I think it was one of the small chances for girls who were not well off to get a good education.

I've been told loads of stories and even part of the original uniform of the day.

Yes, it was down on the Crescent.  It was renamed at one stage in the late seventies and I think I'm right ion saying it's not a school now buit either a college or part of the uni.

No doubt the locals will put me right!

Best wishes

Emms :)
Hoey : Louth, Dublin, Lancashire,
Diggle: Pendleton Lancashire,
Stickley: Dorset, Lancashire
Bockmann, Boedemann etc Artist, Europe and London

English Merchants in Brazil and Portugal especially Carruthers family

1st Battalion Connaught rangers WW1

Website:  Look  out for new website coming soon to replace Fells and Seas

Offline lorrielou

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 29 October 15 15:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ruth,
I went to Adelphi House in the 1970's. It was a convent girls grammar school run by the FCJ nuns that lived there  and taught us, it had a brilliant reputation and was a very good school.
Some girls paid private to attend and others like myself passed our 11+ exam so we got a scholarship.
The school was on the banks of the river Irwell, the main school & classrooms and school hall, there was a chapel inside the school also & the nuns lived in the convent building (it's the building that is still standing that is now part of Salford uni) In that building we had the music room and art room and pottery also a common room where we would do drama, there was a separate science lab building and also a separate gym (without showers) The gym has now been replaced with a pub called 'the old pint pot'
It was a fantastic school, very strict but great fun also. We used to pray for foggy days because there was a rule if we could not see across the river to the crescent fields through the fog then we were sent home.
Please take a look at this link you may find it useful in your research.
http://www.fcjsisters.org/ep/resources/about/hist_brit/ADELPHI%20HOUSE%20CONVENT%20FCJ%201852%20-%201981.pdf

Offline Fae Sidhe

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 08 November 16 18:22 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately, the "foggy day rule" was only a myth.
We waited and hoped for years. One day it happened: We couldn't see Spike Island playing fields, let alone Salford University's Maxwell Hall. Most of the classrooms on the main building emptied, as the girls in classrooms overlooking the river made a break for it. We were blocked on both staircases by teachers coming out of 2 of the staff rooms, who told us that we were not, unfortunately, going to be allowed to go home. :(
I was in the penultimate year's intake.
It changed it's name to Cathedral High School, when it was joined with Sacred Heart School. Adelphi lost most of it's teachers, who left rather than be downgraded. (Adelphi lost it's Sixth form as part of the changes)
Many of them went to the Boys' Grammar school, who kept it's Sixth Form and didn't get joined to another school, into the bargain.
The boys got the better deal.
The teachers we got from the other school seemed flabbergasted that we were sat quietly. I think that they were more used to liontaming than teaching.
Children came over from the other school (we never went over there) We ended up having to carry everything we owned from class to class, as our girls learned the hard way we could no longer leave our coats in the cloakroom or our belongings in our desks. We dreaded days when we had to bring in our PE kit, plus our lab coat, plus our cookery stuff (and all our books, of course)
Culture shock, indeed!

Offline veebareeba

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 20 February 17 13:54 GMT (UK) »
I was at Adelphi from 1967 to 1974 and was sent home on at least two occasions due to fog.  So the fog rule was far from being a myth in those days.  It wasn't quite the treat I hoped for as on both occasions I had to walk home to Swinton as buses were either not running at all or on a reduced service.   :)
Sweeney - Manchester and Ireland
McCormick - Rochdale
Connolly - Swinton and Galway
Hurst - Wigan and Bury
Cheer - Manchester
Wallwork - Manchester, Swinton
Brannan - Swintn and Pendlebury, Ireland
Moss - Derby and Macclesfield
Farrish - Macclesfield
Latchford - Macclesfield
Bosson - Macclesfield