Author Topic: Rev Joseph Ashton of Horton  (Read 16047 times)

Offline patDEN

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Rev Joseph Ashton of Horton
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday 01 May 12 09:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Greensleeves
Indeed, we are on the same track.  My grandmother, Lillias Irene Ashton, was the sister of your grandmother, Thyrsa Victoria Ashton who  always referred to by my grandmother as "Peg".  I did meet Peg at one time a long time ago ... I took my grandmother to see her in Manjimup ...  about 1976.  Unfortunately, I had no interest in family history at the time, so I missed out on any of Peg's little gems of information she may have had to pass on.   How wonderful your dad is keen to find out more re the Ashton family.  I am guessing your dad will be either Norman or Allen?  I am only too happy to join forces with you or your dad and share information, photos etc.  As Andrea suggests, we will be able to message personally if you want.
Regards
patDEN

Offline Greensleaves

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday 01 May 12 12:09 BST (UK) »
Big thanks to Andrea (sillgen) and patDEN for getting back to me on this.

patDEN, i remember visiting your grandma (Aunty Lil) on the farm near Badgingarra in her later years. So thrilled to have made this connection with you. My Dad (Allen) is the last of his line now and this is really important to him all of a sudden.

Andrea is saying there is a way of talking directly. must admit i got so excited to see a reply from you both, i didn't quite take in how we do that. hopefully you can initiate it from your end as i am unfamiliar with anything more advanced than email!

Off to ring Dad and fill him in.

Offline OzBigKev

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Thursday 30 August 12 00:12 BST (UK) »
Hi patDEN

I am pretty much a newbie to ancestoral research and discovered this forum by chance.  I have to say after only a short time my head is starting to hurt but I think this forum will go along way toward taking away some of the pain that seems part of this type of research.

Like you I live in WA and have an interest in TW Ashton & the Rev' together with their antecedents. TW is my wife's g grandfather also and I seem to have hit the same brick wall you obviously did quite some time ago whilst endeavouring to explore his background.

Anyway won't bore everyone with all the detail here but when I qualify to do so I will send you a PM with a view to getting in touch and exploring family history information that may be of mutual interest.

At our end at least we may have some documents (such as Isabella's Birth & Death cert's) that you may like copies of and some paraphenalia relating to TW such as the following (if my attempt to attach succeeds).

Best regards
Kevin

Offline patDEN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Thursday 30 August 12 11:41 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for your message, Kevin - it is wonderful having more family sleuths on board! I have been at work all day, but my sister has just sent me a transcript of that wonderful reference for TW Ashton ... signed by the Manager, Joseph Wilcock.  What an absolute gem ... the Wilcock name looms yet again. Previous posts on this thread will indicate that a Joseph Wilcock married an Ann Frankland [thanks to hjstort last October] and while it is obvious that Joseph Wilcock is the Manager of the Collieries in which Thomas worked 1872-1877, it doesn't rule out a possible family connection.  I am hopeful this reference will open up more avenues for research ...

I am sure we will have much to share regarding this family ... please keep in touch.

Regards
Pat

Offline OzBigKev

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Friday 31 August 12 00:04 BST (UK) »
Hi patDEN

Great to hear from you.  At this stage of my reasearch I'm not sure I can contribute too much but perhaps a new finger in the pie may be able to uncover something useful in the search for the elusive Rev'.

I am hoping to pick up a box of Ashton family documents, in the next couple of weeks, from a source I discovered yesterday so here's hoping there may be some pointers amongst those papers.

Incidentally I found another reference for TW placing him in Mooloolaba, Qld in Nov, 1884 so it looks like he moved to Australia between 1877 and 1884.

Whilst you may already be aware of it I have also located reference to a Rev' Joseph Ashton at the Unitarian Chapel in Preston. No specific date  but the book was produced in Dec' 1869. I have not followed up on this thread yet as you may have covered it previously.

I have sent you a PM with my contact details if you are interested in making contact which I would look forward to.

Regards
Kevin

Offline patDEN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Friday 31 August 12 02:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Kevin, for your reply.  The Qld reference is very interesting ... from his death certificate, I have placed TW in Qld about 1884, but without any real 'proof.'  Now it seems we have it!
The Rev Joseph of Preston, I have come across before, some time ago now, and dismissed him as a likely candidate because he was too young, I think [from memory].
Thanks for your PM ... will contact you directly on your remail addy.

Regards
Pat

Offline hjstort

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Monday 03 September 12 22:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Greensleeves
Indeed, we are on the same track.  My grandmother, Lillias Irene Ashton, was the sister of your grandmother, Thyrsa Victoria Ashton who  always referred to by my grandmother as "Peg".  I did meet Peg at one time a long time ago ... I took my grandmother to see her in Manjimup ...  about 1976.  Unfortunately, I had no interest in family history at the time, so I missed out on any of Peg's little gems of information she may have had to pass on.   How wonderful your dad is keen to find out more re the Ashton family.  I am guessing your dad will be either Norman or Allen?  I am only too happy to join forces with you or your dad and share information, photos etc.  As Andrea suggests, we will be able to message personally if you want.
Regards
patDEN
My Ann Frankland 1831-1859 (married to Joseph Wilcock)  had a younger sister Thirza (1841-1919). I noticed the name of Greensleaves' grandmother was Thyrsa and wonder if this similarity could be another pointer to indicate a connection to Ann.

Regards
Helga
Dobson, Frankland, Oates, Sellar(s), Chadwick, Hardcastle, Cawthra, Vogel

Offline patDEN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Tuesday 04 September 12 00:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks Helga, for your information re Thirza.  I was going to message you as  I am starting to think that there is a connection ... yet to be proven, of course.  My sister has come up with the idea that Joseph Wilcock and Joseph Ashton married two sisters, Ann and Elizabeth respectively.  Certainly the time frame fits.  It is now just a matter of trying to locate the relevant documentation.  I have had absolutely no joy in locating a marriage of the the Rev Joseph! 

Will keep plugging away ... and again thanks for the Thirza bit ... I may be wrong, but I think it is not a common name?

Regards
Pat

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Tuesday 04 September 12 09:28 BST (UK) »
Will keep plugging away ... and again thanks for the Thirza bit ... I may be wrong, but I think it is not a common name?

More common than you think!
In 1851 census, there are 3689 Thirza's! ;D
1861 has 4261.   of course, this does include "Thereza".
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)