Author Topic: grove street glasgow  (Read 9685 times)

Offline CacaEaton

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: grove street glasgow
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 08 November 15 13:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi,after researching my fathers past it appears he was born in Grove street at number 29 to a lady called Christina Ferrier in 1943.As she put my father up for adoption we have no clue about what happened to her so if anyone could shed some light on her i would be eternally grateful.

Offline linsco

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 08 November 15 14:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi, My mother and her family lived at number 79 Grove Street from the early 1930's until she married in 1955.  She is still alive and kicking and I will have a chat with her when I visit on Tuesday and ask her if she has any recollection of your grandmother. Fingers crossed!

Offline CacaEaton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 08 November 15 18:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi ... Blimey that is amazing that your mum is still going ... That would be great if u could ask if u don't mind r u on Facebook ??thank u ?? Xx

Offline Lodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 08 November 15 23:21 GMT (UK) »
Grove St was the sort of inner-city working class street that was occupied by families living in tenement buildings. Everyone knowing everyone else and where a little scandal went a long way.

Christina wouldn't have been the first young girl who was forced into parting with her illegitimate child because of pressure from a domineering parent, usually her father.

If she was a young, easily dominated girl and, nine times out of ten they were, she would have had no choice. Give up the child or pack your bags. She was probably a teenager and would have been given no help by the state to bring the child up by herself. (During wartime too).

So, the child is sent away and a scandal diverted. Normally, in a few years, she would find a husband and marry.
According to Scotlandspeople, only one Christina Ferrier was married in Glasgow between 1943 and 1955.
She was Christina Smith Ferrier and she married David McBlain in 1951 in the Kelvingrove registration district, which quite possibly is the same district as Grove St.
If you are very lucky, this marriage certificate may have 29 Grove Street as the bride's address.

Unfortunately, it cannot be viewed on-line but must be purchased and sent to you by mail.

Good luck.
Paterson, Torrance, Gilchrist - Hamilton Lanarkshire. 
McCallum - Oban, McKechnie - Ross of Mull Argyll.
Scrim - Perthshire. 
Liddell - Polmont,
Binnie - Muiravonside Stirlingshire.
Curran, McCafferty, Stevenson, McCue - Co Donegal
Gibbons, Weldon - Co Mayo.
Devlin - Co Tyrone.
Leonard - County Donegal & Glasgow.

Offline linsco

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 10 November 15 19:39 GMT (UK) »
I had a chat with my mum today and asked if she had any recollection of a Christina Ferrier or the Ferrier family at No. 29 Grove Street.  Unfortunately she does not remember anyone of that name. It was a bit of a long shot really as she was only 11 yrs old in 1943. Lodger has given you some good pointers.  Good luck with your search.