Author Topic: Any Tuckney Taylor descendents??  (Read 5444 times)

Offline meggiemoo3

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Any Tuckney Taylor descendents??
« on: Sunday 16 October 11 13:49 BST (UK) »
Hello

I'm just wondering on the of chance if there are any Tuckney Taylor descendents on here? I've researched the 4 grandparents lines and this is the only one that I haven't found distant relatives of which is a shame.

My gr x4 grandfather was a Jonathon Taylor born in Boston about 1728. He married a Priscilla Forman on 15 November 1758 in Boston. She was born in Boston about 1732.

My gr x3 grandfather was Thomas Taylor baptised on 28 January 1758 in Kirton-in-Holland. He married Mary Johnson 11 Sept 1788. She was born 1786, her father was John Johnson.

My gr x 2 grandfather was Tuckney Taylor baptised 29 April 1810 in Kirton-in-Holland. He married Rebecca Watson  in Crowland on 9 June 1828. She was born in Crowland in 1807 to William and Sarah Watson.

My great grandfather was Joseph Harry Taylor born  March 1847 in Whaplode. He married 3 times. First to Mary Ann Carr. Then to Ellen Carr - yes they were sisters! Also they were his step-sisters too. He had children with both of these wives.

He then married Ann Eliza Harrison, my great grandmother on 2 Feb 1899. T

My grandfather was Harry Taylor born 1904 in Sutton Bridge. He then married Ivy May Burrows.

It would be good to hear from anyone who is related to me.
Taylor - Lincs
Jackson - Lincs
Burrows - Norfolk
Ambrose - Norfolk

Offline Don5097

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Any Tuckney Taylor descendents??
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 March 12 20:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Just signed up with this web site and saw your message. My great great great grandfather was your ancestor. His daughter Rebecca married my great grandfather Joseph Attenborough and they lived at first in Sutton St James Lincolnshire. I am descended from his daughter Gertrude Elizabeth who was sadly never married. My grandfather was therefore illiterate. the family moved to Potters Bar and then my Great grandmother moved to Streatham South London. I live with my wife in Bexleyheath Kent on the edge of London. I am a retired Baptist minister.

Don

Offline meggiemoo3

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 26 March 12 14:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Don

Just been checking through my emails and came across your reply to my post concerning Tuckney Taylor. Good to hear from you - haven't got time to write a longer relpy at the moment as I have got to give the little ones their bottles and then go and get my children from school (I'm a childminder) so will write a longer reply when I have a little more time.

So who is our last common ancestor? Is it Tuckney who married Rebecca Watson - probably as I'm sure I remember them having a daughter Rebecca - do not have my notes to hand!

My family still live in South Lincolnshire but as my husband is in the RAF we now live in North Wiltshire, although hoping to get a posting back there in the next 12 months, when hubby has been and returned from a tour of the Falklands. My dad is a Taylor and has 4 brothers (he lost his eldest brother recently) and 5 sisters, all who still live in and around the Long Sutton area.

Will write more later and would be good to share any further info you have on Taylor ancestors, as will I.

Melanie
Taylor - Lincs
Jackson - Lincs
Burrows - Norfolk
Ambrose - Norfolk

Offline Don5097

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 26 March 12 19:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Melanie

Yes, I believe Tuckney Taylor is our common ancestor;he is my 3 times great grandfather on my father's side of the family. His daughter married my great, great grandfather Joseph Attenborough and initially they lived near the Taylors in Sutton St James Lincs. They later moved to Potters Bar north west of London. I have no other details of the Taylor family.

Thanks for the contact. I hope your husband gets the transfer you would like!

Don Attenborough.
Bexleyheath. Kent.

Offline meggiemoo3

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 27 March 12 12:47 BST (UK) »
Hello Don

Hopefully I have a little more time to reply as my two little mindees have just gone down for their nap, so I have my notes and a cuppa to hand!

I have quite a bit of information on Tuckney, Rebecca and his children and on his ancestors as far back as 1728.

Tuckney was the 7th child of Thomas and Mary Taylor and was born in Kirton in Holland, Lincolnshire in 1810 - he was baptised on 29 April of the same year. He married Rebecca Watson on 9 June 1828 in Crowland, Lincolnshire. Not sure how he met Rebecca but the 2 places are quite some distance apart. They had quite a few children... in 1851 they were living in Holbeach, Lincolnshire and he was an agricultural labourer. I have the following children listed:

Mary Ann, born 1829 - in Lincs
George, baptised 20 March 1830 - Holbeach, Lincs
Tuckney, baptised 9 Oct 1831 - Frampton, Lincs
Rebecca, baptised 17 Nov 1832 - Whaplode, Lincs (died 22 May 1833)
Henry, baptised 25 July 1834 - Whaplode
Rebecca, baptised 25 July 1836 - Whaplode - your Rebecca
Charles, baptised 17 Sept 1838 - Whaplode
Sarah, baptised 5 November 1840 - Whaplode
Thomas, baptised 5 Nov 1840 - Whaplode (first incidence of twins which actually run in the Taylor family - the youngest ones being mine)
Alice, baptised 28 Aug 1842 - Whaplode
Joseph Harry, baptised 7 March 1847 - Whaplode - my great grandfather.

Rebecca died 9 Sept 1858 in Whaplode aged 53. Tuckney then remarried Mary Ann Carr (widow) in December 1864. Tuckney died 22 Feb 1877, aged 66. Mary Ann died later that year in September. Mary Ann had 2 girls who later both became wives of my great great grandfather Joseph - think he was a bit of a lad!!!!!

Rebecca Watson was baptised in Crowland on 15 June 1807 and was the daughter of William Watson and his wife Sarah. She had as far as I know 5 siblings - Ann (1800); William (1803, died 1805); Hester (1811); Henry (1818) and George (1820).

I have a marriage date for your Rebecca to a Joseph Seaton Attenborough on 15 May 1858.

Many of the parish records for Lincolnshire have now been digitised and are available to view on a website called Lincs to My Past or something similar. I've found quite a few of the entries but you have to search through everything unless you know months and years!

Now Tuckney's parents were Thomas Taylor and Mary Johnson. Thomas was as far as I know the second son og Jonathon and Priscilla Taylor - more about that later.

Thomas was baptised on 28 January 1758 in Kirton-in-Holland. He married Mary Johnson on 11 September 1788 in the same place. They had I believe 9 children, including our Tuckney:

Mary - bap 16 July 1790
Thomas - bap 3 March 1793, died 1798
John - bap 18 Oct 1795
Aaron - bap 19 May 1798
Thomas - bap 26 Dec 1800
George Johnson - bap 22 May 1807
Tuckney - bap 29 April 1810
Thomas - bap 3 Aug 1813
Thomas Henry - bap 15 Sept 1816

I have no information on when Thomas or Mary died.

Mary was the daughter of John and Elizabeth Johnson (Elizabeth was a widow, previously being married to James Brittan. Elizabeth was originally a Metcalf).

Mary was baptised on 31 December 1786 in Kirton in Holland

She had at least 3 siblings - the ones I could find were Elizabeth, baptised 31 May 1763, died 5 June 1763; Elizabeth, baptised 12 Sept 1766 and John baptised 28 March 1770.

Now Thomas was the 2nd son of Jonathon Taylor. I don't have a huge amount of information on him, only that he was probably born around 1728 in Boston, Lincolnshire. He married Priscilla Forman on 15 November 1758 in Boston. I found the baptism records for the following children:

John - bap 14 June 1756, Kirton in Holland (KiH)
Thomas - bap 28 Jan 1758, KiH
Walls (?) - bap 7 July 1760, KiH
Aquilla - bap 23 July 1761, died 6 Aug 1761, KiH
Martha - bap 18 Sep 1764, KiH
Tuckney - bap 16 Oct 1771, KiH

Priscilla Forman was born around 1732 in Boston, Lincs.

Anyway hope this fills in some gaps for you. Would love to know more about Rebecca.

Regards

Melanie
Taylor - Lincs
Jackson - Lincs
Burrows - Norfolk
Ambrose - Norfolk

Offline rick1939

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 09 April 12 22:27 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Just joined roots chat and found your thread. Tuckney Taylor is a strange name. I have something which may interest you, or may not, as the case may be. If you would like to email it is (*)

Regards

Rick1939

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline Don5097

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 11 April 12 13:36 BST (UK) »
Hi

Just read your message that you may have some interesting information for me. I am happy to hear more via this site.

Thanks

Don5097

Offline rick1939

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 11 April 12 19:57 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Thanks for the reply. This name has popped up in my family research. It could be just circumstantial but I don't think the name is particularly common.

So this is what I have, although it isn't a great deal:

Marriage cert. Jan. 22nd, 1879, William Lovegrove married Sarah Wilmot at Cookham Dean. Witnesses, Tuckney Taylor and Elizabeth Scribbins.

Death cert. of Thomas Wilmot shows Edward Tuckney Wilmot, son, being the informant. Edward T. was married at Eton in 1902. My Gt. Grandfather was also Edward Wilmot and he was married to Maria Scribbins. They were lodging house keepers in London.

Finally, I have a photograph from around the mid-1880s showing Mr. & Mrs. Taylor, Mr. & Mrs. Pratt (I know who they were), and an unknown woman. Unfortunately, no christian names for the Taylors. The two couples were my father's uncles and aunts. Now I am guessing that the Mr. taylor could have been Tuckney! Mrs. Pratt was formerly Mary Ann Scribbins. They ran The Fleece pub in Chelmsford in 1901.

I don't know what you'll make of this, but I would certainly like an opinion.

Regards

Richard Wilmot

Offline meggiemoo3

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 13 April 12 10:31 BST (UK) »
Hello Richard

Well that is interesting. I've read through your message and looked back at the details to see if its possible that the Tuckney you are talking about is a relative. As you say although Taylor is an extremely common surname Tuckney isn't a common christian name.

I've had a look through and I don't think the Tuckney you talk about is my gr gr gr grandfather because I know that he married Rebecca Watson and I know that they never moved out of the South Lincolnshire area. However i suppose that it is possible that the Tuckney you mention could be one of their children (they had a son Tuckney, born around 1830, which would have put him in his 50s around the time you are talking about - does this tally with the picture?) or one of their grandchildren perhaps. The name Tuckney certainly seems to be a family name as there is one in each of the generations back to the 1720s.

I no longer have access to census records (our ancestry account not being renewed as we have found most of the information we need now) but was wondering if either of you have this access and could perhaps research the census returns for the particular area to see if Tuckney is living around there and where his birthplace is - as this will be on the census. Perhaps you might be able to find a link that links them altogether.

Thanks for that information - it seems a tenuous link but you never know....

Look forward to hearing any more information you may find out.

Regards

Melanie
Taylor - Lincs
Jackson - Lincs
Burrows - Norfolk
Ambrose - Norfolk