Author Topic: MUAT surname in Angus  (Read 8148 times)

Offline Lorna1320

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
MUAT surname in Angus
« on: Monday 17 October 11 21:05 BST (UK) »
Hi!

I just thought I would post a new thread on the family I am researching.  I found a link in 2006 relating to the Euphemia GRANT and William MUAT who married in Dundee in 1825.  I note that William Muat was born in Edinburgh.  Most of my Muat family were born in Edinburgh and I am most eager to start chatting about this family and to share info on it. 

I've registered the surname MUAT with the Guild of One Name Studies (GOONS) so am searching for any references to this surname world-wide.  I would love to link records together to connect family - so if you have ANY references at all I would be extremely grateful if you could pass them on. 

I'e got this particular family in the 1841, 1851 and 1861 census - I hope to see if I can find them in the 1871-1911 census returns.  I would really be interested to find out if William Muat's parents have been traced and if so, how much background there is on him.

Any help offered would indeed be appreciated, and I can do look up at New Register House in return.

Many thanks:

Lorna Muat

MUAT (One Name Study) - World-Wide; Thomson/Burn/Dickson/Herkes/Muat/Briggs - East Lothian; Fyfe/Thomson/Mitchell/Petrie/Donaldson/Rust (plus others) - Angus; Dawson/Mudie - Dundee; McLauchlan - Blair Atholl

Offline breaky

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: MUAT surname in Angus
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 18 October 11 17:03 BST (UK) »
Hi,

The "Angus M.I. inscriptions pre 1855" for Dundee & Broughty Ferry, (in the Howff cemetery section), lists  a headstone of "Dundee 9.1799" as "by Thos Muat mert. in Dundee and w. Margt Guild imo Jas Robertson thread maker in Dundeee 23.12.1798 72 (Heirs of Thomas Muat)"

The M.I. index suggests the alternative spellings Mowat or Mouat.

The Friends of Dundee Archives listing of the Howff burials online has 3 Mouats and quite a few Muats - Thomas seems to have been a confectioner.   Scotlandspeople may have details of his will - but I have not checked this out.

breaky

Offline Lorna1320

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 18 October 11 22:24 BST (UK) »
Breaky

Thank you - I managed to download The Howff Cemetery in Dundee and got about 20 Muat MI's already just by GOOGLE alone. 

Thanks for your help - it is much appreciated.

Lorna1320
MUAT (One Name Study) - World-Wide; Thomson/Burn/Dickson/Herkes/Muat/Briggs - East Lothian; Fyfe/Thomson/Mitchell/Petrie/Donaldson/Rust (plus others) - Angus; Dawson/Mudie - Dundee; McLauchlan - Blair Atholl

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 08 November 11 17:31 GMT (UK) »
An Ann Thow married a John Mouatt on 13/11/1796 at Benholm Kincardine. Spelling variations include Muat, Muatt etc. Ann's sister later had links with Dundee. One of the sister's sons was born in Dundee in 1813 and noted as named after his uncle-in-law, John Muat (?sp).
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline Lorna1320

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 08 November 11 20:35 GMT (UK) »
An Ann Thow married a John Mouatt on 13/11/1796 at Benholm Kincardine. Spelling variations include Muat, Muatt etc. Ann's sister later had links with Dundee. One of the sister's sons was born in Dundee in 1813 and noted as named after his uncle-in-law, John Muat (?sp).

Thank you for that information - much appreciated.  Do you have any connection with Ann Thow/John Mouatt or did you just find the information?

Many thanks:
Lorna1320
 :) :)

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 08 November 11 21:18 GMT (UK) »
Connection is via Ann's sister.  I shall check my manual records/notes to see if I have any other info on Ann and John.

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

Offline Lorna1320

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 08 November 11 21:28 GMT (UK) »
Connection is via Ann's sister.  I shall check my manual records/notes to see if I have any other info on Ann and John.

You're great - thank you again.  Will put your details down as primary source and contact for this particular family.

Regards,
Lorna1320
 :) :)

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 09 November 11 09:39 GMT (UK) »
Ok, a little more:

John Mouatt and Ann Thow had at least the following children:

Jean Mouatt               born 1797 in Benholm

David Mowat  [sic]   born 1802 in Benholm

John Mowat    [sic]   born 1804 in Benholm

William Mowat [sic]  born 1806 in Benholm

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 09 November 11 09:42 GMT (UK) »
Just noticed, this person also seems to have an interest in various appearances of the surname and the variations:

http://tammymitchell.com/surnames/Mowat-BMD.html