Author Topic: St Giles Oxford Marriage 1807  (Read 3434 times)

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
Re: St Giles Oxford Marriage 1807
« Reply #9 on: Monday 03 October 16 12:30 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately that is contained in a copy of one of his E-Mails to me back then ,and which I cannot send as an attachment  for some reason. I've tried and read through other RootsChat FAQ's with no success. Any thoughts ?

Hi Peter :)

It's because this is a 'Lookup' board.

When answering queries, people often want to cut and paste information from commercial sources and this is usually subject to copyright.  RootsChat would prefer not to be sued for breach of copyright (obviously!), so they don't allow any attachments on these boards.

You can of course quote from the emails by typing out the relevant parts.

Hope this helps,
Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 03 October 16 13:38 BST (UK) »
Have been looking at this family and I don't think you will gain anything at all from the original marriage details as I'm sure you'll find her surname was indeed Jones.

According to census Mary Terry was bc.1786 Black Bourton, Oxfordshire.

Mary Jones bp.25/6/1786 Blackbourton, Oxfordshire, dau. of Jane Jones

Then we have:

Thomas Horn bp.28/6/1789 Blackbourton, son of William Horn and Jane.

Both these baptisms on familysearch.     

Thomas Horn seems to be the only child baptised to William and Jane.

Sounds like Mary Jones - although born illegitimately - knew her father was William Horn and that sometime between her birth and 1789 (when Thomas Horn born) her mother Jane Jones married said William Horn and had son Thomas.

If all this is correct (although can't find a marriage between a William Horn and Jane (Jones or otherwise) then when Mary married she would have had to marry with her legal name of Jones, which in fact she did.

Therefore, the marriage entry is indeed correct - she was born Mary Jones and - regardless of whether she knew her father was William Horn - 'Jones' would be the name she would have to use when she married.

Unless a marriage can be found between a William Horn and Jane Jones I don't know how you can prove that Jane Jones and William Horn's wife Jane are one and the same but it sounds as if she was.

So, nothing wrong with the marriage entry - all accurate there - what's needed is a marriage between William Horn and Jane surely?

Annette       

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 03 October 16 14:04 BST (UK) »
William Horn of the parish of Fifield in co of Berks married Jane Jones otp (Brize Norton) on 11 May 1789. both made their mark
witnesses: David Draper and Joseph Williams

Ancestry has transcribed as Hone.

A Jane Jones ( can't tell whether same one as she too made her mark) witnessed a marriage at Brize a couple of months earlier between Joseph Bennett otp and Sarah Hitchcock of Black Bourton.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 03 October 16 14:13 BST (UK) »
Mary Jones and James Terry seemed in a hurry to marry, third reading of banns on 1st Nov and marriage on 2nd Nov.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 03 October 16 14:39 BST (UK) »
Oh well done, LizzieL - surely this is all the proof that's needed here.   William Horn did indeed marry Jane Jones (now why couldn't I find it).

Annette
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 03 October 16 15:16 BST (UK) »
I had several attempts at it. In the end just put William and Jane without any surnames, the time period between Mary's and Thomas's births and searched whole of Oxfordshire and found it indexed as William Hone, but image is clearly Horn.
I don't know whether the marriage Jane witnessed is connected.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 03 October 16 18:29 BST (UK) »
How wrong can you be?  There were 9 more children after Thomas born in 1789 - it seems that William and Jane moved back to Williams' parish of Fyfield (given at his marriage) between 1789-91.    Children baptised there to William Horn and Jane are:

Ann bp.1791 (no full date given)
Hannah bp.29/9/1793
Charles bp.27/12/1795
Elizabeth bp.22/4/1798
Sarah bp.16/11/1800
Martha bp.10/4/1803
Giles bp.14/7/1805
John bp.20/5/1808
Jane bp.22/4/1810

William and Jane are still alive and appear in the 1841 census at Fyfield - with them appears to be their married son John and his family.

Burials at Fyfield show:

William Horn bc.1765, bur.5/7/1850 Fyfield
Jane Horn bc.1762, bur.19/3/1847 Fyfield

Annette
London -  Monk

Offline PETE7215

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 04 October 16 06:02 BST (UK) »
Carol,

I'm absolutely flabbergasted by what I have just read. It appears that the additional notes from Annette7 & LizzieL had been sent over the last few days without my reading them - I don't understand.
It looks like I have been very non diligent in scrolling down the page.
The additional information would appear to corroborate my "gut feel" about who really was this distant relative of mine.
Carol, I owe the following to you which partly shows why I believed that person was Mary Horn.

The following is part of the E-Mail that I received from Paul in 2011 ...

"I also managed to get someone to transcribe the marriage for James Terry to Mary Jones in St. Giles Oxford on 02 Nov. 1807 :
  2Nov. 1807;
James Terry &Mary Jones sojourners
both made mark(rather than signed their names)after banns,witnesses Martha Terry and Thomas Horn
Sojourners is generally put alongside people who lived in the parish but have only lived there for enough time for banns to have been read. So neither James nor Mary actually came from Oxford St. Giles which also fits the theory that they didn't marry in either of their own parishes because Mary was about 5 months pregnant. It looks like they married then moved to Berkshire where they would have arrived as a married couple.
So I'm fairly sure that James Terry and Mary Jones are William and James Terry's parents but it will be difficult to prove absolutely  unless a record exists for one of their children that Shows Mary's maiden name.
Unfortunately baptism records were standardized across the country in 1812 and so it is unlikely that Michael's baptism record will show the mother's maiden name but Charles's baptism in 1808 might. I'll see if I can (get ) it transcribed."     

(Mary was pregnant with Charles at the time of the marriage in Nov. 1807.)

Carol,This might add to the almost concluded puzzle. If there's any anything extra that develops as a result of this ,obviously I'd like to know.

How do I get to thank Annette and Lizzie for their input ?

I owe you all for your inputs.

Regards

Peter   

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 04 October 16 13:15 BST (UK) »

How do I get to thank Annette and Lizzie for their input ?

You just have, Peter!   When anyone contributes to a thread we all get notified when further posts are made, so Lizzie will see this too.

Annette
London -  Monk