Author Topic: Macclesfield Industrial School  (Read 5591 times)

Offline regina

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Macclesfield Industrial School
« on: Saturday 07 May 05 19:02 BST (UK) »
According to the 1881 census, my ancestor, Albert Moore lived at Macclesfield Industrial School, in Brook St.   I would like to know more about these schools.   Were they for correction, or education or to teach a trade, and do any records still exist?   Albert was born in London, son of a carter, and I have found no trace of his family in Macclesfield.
Regina
Macclesfield - Potts, Ashness, Hooley, Haslam, Walton, Heapy, Hulme, Wildigg, Walton
Congleton - Cooke
Stockport - Whittingham, Sheppard
Ireland - Walton, Gain

Offline Manchester Rambler

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Macclesfield Industrial School
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 07 May 05 19:19 BST (UK) »
This link explains what industrial schools were - principally for destitute or abandoned children:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/education/beyond/factsheets/makhist/makhist10_prog11c.shtml

MR
ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 07 May 05 19:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Regina,

Welcome to RootsChat   :)  :)

Try this site: http://www.missing-ancestors.com/  Apart from lots of general information about industrial schools, it also gives some specific info. about the Macclesfield Industrial School
http://www.missing-ancestors.com/industrial_school_for_boys%20macclesfield%20info.htm

Another source is the Rossbret institutions site: http://www.institutions.org.uk/
Click on "Reformatory" for some more info. and then further on "Industrial School Staff 1866 "
Hope this hlps,
Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline peterbennett

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Samuel if ever an Ag Lab looked like one it was he
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 13 May 05 13:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Regina

The record office at Chester have these plus other bits and pieces of records specific to Macclesfield Industrial School
Managers minutes 1860-1909, Log books 1896-1921

You are able to contact them by email at the address on this link

http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/Recordoffice/aboutus/recoffcontact.htm

I also have a 4 page piece of research specific to Macclesfield Industrial School that I cobbled together some time ago, there is far to much to put on to rootschat,but if you contact me by PM I will sort out some way to get it to you.

peterbennett
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright<br />www.NationalArchives.gov.uk <br />Cheshire BMD  www.cheshirebmd.org.uk/ <br />Cheshire Wills database http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/recordoffice/wills/Search.htm<br />Cheshire family history society  www.fhsc.org.uk/<br />Cheshire Records Office http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/Recordoffice/aboutus/recoffcontact.tm<br /><br />--------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Bennett/,Whaley,Chesh/Lancs, Brindley Staffs

Offline Justanne

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 03 June 06 16:38 BST (UK) »
I have discovered two relatives of my father's wife were in the Industrial School in Macclesfield in 1871.  They were both 11 years old.  Thomas Stephenson & Elizabeth Littlewood were married in 1879.  Thomas was a tailor.
They had several children, but sadly Elizabeth died when the children were young & they ended up in Styal Children's home (they were there in 1901)

I have managed to find Thomas's family, but I'm struggling with Elizabeth. I was wondering if records existed, that might give me more information about her. The marriage cert says her father was a cab driver & census records say she was born in Derbyshire.

Offline regina

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 03 June 06 20:04 BST (UK) »

Hi, Justanne, I was given a lot of in formation about the industrial school, but unfortunately, it has not helped me to find the family of my g.grandfather who lived there.   He also was a tailor, and continued to live in Macclesfield.  If you follow the links in the reply from Berlin Bob, there is an interesting bit about the children who were sent to these schools.  Sorry, I can't be of more help.
Regina :-[

Macclesfield - Potts, Ashness, Hooley, Haslam, Walton, Heapy, Hulme, Wildigg, Walton
Congleton - Cooke
Ireland - Walton, Gain

Offline Justanne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 04 June 06 10:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks for this, it is much appreciated.

Offline The Kings Heir

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 02 February 17 18:00 GMT (UK) »
Regina,
Hi, I’m in a similar situation, Gt Grandfather originally born Hoxton, London ending up in Macclesfield Industrial School. Recently found out that both he and his mother were abandoned by the father and looking at recently added workhouse records, both bounced in and out of various workhouses. I’ve looked for a link at the Chester Register office, but there aren’t any detail admission records. Tried Hackney archives for a link between the two establishments, but nothing. I’ve been to the school, unfortunately a bit grim looking, it’s now a collection of run down offices units. My Gt Grandfather basically left and walked over the road to the Cheshire Regiment, a quick means of escape and a way to see the world (Boar War and WWI France). Did you manage to get a link between London & Macclesfield?

Offline regina

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 03 February 17 15:05 GMT (UK) »
Sorry I have found no reason for the link to Macclesfield.  Apparently the reason for being sent to industrial school was begging, homelessness, misbehaviour or out of control.    As I have found the family of my ancestor and the other children seem OK I think it must be one of the latter !
Regina
Congleton - Cooke
Ireland - Walton, Gain