Author Topic: Where was Glenfield in Moffat? Completed with thanks  (Read 2684 times)

Offline purplekat

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Where was Glenfield in Moffat? Completed with thanks
« on: Thursday 20 October 11 19:31 BST (UK) »
The 1881 Census shows that my Grandfather lived in Glenfield, Moffat however I've never been able to find Glenfield on any old maps, I've also been to Moffat but been unable to locate the area.  Does anyone know where it was?  Thank you.

Offline Garrod

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Where was Glenfield in Moffat?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 21 October 11 18:02 BST (UK) »
There is a Glenfield Square in Moffat, where the current factory for Moffat Toffee is made. Maybe this is the Glenfield you are looking for. Unfortunately I do not have any other details.
Allwood of Cheshire, Derbyshire, Flintshire and Shropshire. Pilsbury of Staffordshire and Shropshire. Andrews of Lincolnshire, Lancashire and Cumbria. Griffith of Caernarvonshire. Tait of Moffat and Dumfries

Offline purplekat

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 21 October 11 19:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks Garrod, I'll look into it, this could be the clue I've been looking for  :)

Offline purplekat

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 22 October 11 11:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Garrod,

Checked it out but the only reference I can find to Glenfield Square is, as you say, in connection with the Moffat toffee factory. 

If anyone reading this knows the area the Moffat toffee factory was in please could you let me know, thanks  :)

Offline Garrod

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 24 October 11 20:57 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have been speaking with a work colleague who is from the Moffat Area.

He seems to think that Glenfield was a Large Country Estate about 2 Miles to the South of Moffat.  This estate has since been sold off to local farmers and has now disappeared. This probably happened in early 1920, just after the 1 WW. This is the reason why no trace of this estate can be found in the present day.

Whether this is correct information I don't know but could be feasible.

Hope this theory helps
Allwood of Cheshire, Derbyshire, Flintshire and Shropshire. Pilsbury of Staffordshire and Shropshire. Andrews of Lincolnshire, Lancashire and Cumbria. Griffith of Caernarvonshire. Tait of Moffat and Dumfries

Offline purplekat

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 24 October 11 21:36 BST (UK) »
Yes it does sound feasible, it would explain why the place seems to have disappeared, my g grandfather was a mason so maybe he worked on the estate for a time.

Thank you

Offline happyhunter2012

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 06 December 11 14:07 GMT (UK) »
I was up in Moffat researching my family, Hill. I was told that the people who know everything Moffat are the owners of the Moffat Toffee Shop.

http://www.moffattoffeeshop.com/

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 07 December 11 10:26 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried the maps held by the NLS?

http://maps.nls.uk/os/index.html
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline purplekat

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Where was Glenfield in Moffat? Completed with thanks
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 07 December 11 17:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi happyhunter and Imber

I must apologise as I have been meaning to update this topic.  Your suggestions are appreciated the NLS website  is excellent, although unfortunately Glenfield isn't marked on the maps, and the info about the toffee shop owners is good to know for when I next visit Moffat.

With help from Garrod I have been given the info below by a member of staff at the Dumfries Library Archive, I think is probably the nearest I'll get to the answer:

I have had a look at the original pages for the 1881 to 1901 census and Glenfield is listed as being on the west side of the High Street, between the end of Church Street which is now Number 21 called Annan View  and Annanside and Garthland  which are the two older cottages at the top of Annanside.  In the 1891 census there are five households listed and two uninhabited houses at this address occupied by 5 people  and by 1901 there are 7 households occupied by 36 people and now called Glenfield Square. There is a long low building at the top of Annanside which in is now a works but by its form was perhaps converted from housing in the past.

I think this is as close as I can get to  where Glenfield Square was situated.  I have marked this with a red oval below

I haven't been able to include the map but the red oval didn't survive the send button in the right place!

I'll mark this as completed now, with thanks to all who helped.