Author Topic: Heatlies and Dalkieth  (Read 1282 times)

Offline adamheatlie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Heatlies and Dalkieth
« on: Monday 24 October 11 20:11 BST (UK) »
In 1826 my 4th grt grandfather James Heatlie (b abt 1808) married Agnes Sanderson (b 1807) in St. Cuthbert's, Dalkieth. Does anyone know anything about this man or his parents?
Heatlie

Offline Templar75

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Heatlies and Dalkieth
« Reply #1 on: Monday 24 October 11 22:15 BST (UK) »
Hi adamheatlie,

any more information like where he was born as there is no trace of him in the 1841 Census.

Archie.

Offline adamheatlie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 24 October 11 22:54 BST (UK) »
Sadly, I don't have much to go on. His gravestone in Quebec, Canada states he was born 24 May 1807 in Scotland. I did just today find the old parish records confirming his marriage in Dalkeith in 1826. I also found a newspaper ad that James put out in Oct 1819 to sell some charcoal via the Edinburgh Advertiser. James and Agnes likely came to Canada around 1830 as their first three childred were born in Scotland and their remaining children were born in Canada.
Heatlie

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 25 October 11 12:24 BST (UK) »
There are marriage and bann(s) showing in both Dalkeith and St Cuthbert's Edinburgh (4 Dec 1826). The St Cuthbert's entry, as is the norm for their registers, also shows Agnes' father's name as John Sanderson. The St Cuthbert's register might give an occupation for James which might help (always hard to know what will be included but the St Cuthbert's registers are better than some others).

Confused about dates here. Have you got an approximate birth year for James from the Canadian censuses? If he was born c.1807, would he have been involved in business by 1819?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline adamheatlie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 25 October 11 15:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica, I did print off the marriage and bann which was how I found out James was from Dalkeith. The St. Cuthbert's shows James as a labourer, so that doesn't help too much. Again, I'm not 100% sure about the birth dates. That is what was on their gravestones here in Canada so I'm not sure how right they are. I'm just hoping this Dalkeith lead brings me some new information on my relatives.
Heatlie