Author Topic: 1841 census  (Read 4459 times)

Offline cmphipps

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1841 census
« on: Saturday 29 October 11 12:03 BST (UK) »
Hello team .
 I am searching for a great x2 grandfather,  Ebenezer James he is seaman .
 Found one on a 1841 census at Haverfordwest he seems to be lodging ,his birth is around 1821 born in Pembroke ..His occupation is, or what looks like,
M S. I am wondering if it means Merchant Seaman. ???
Yours kindly
 Chris

Offline Pels.

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 census
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 29 October 11 12:18 BST (UK) »

Hi Chris,

According to the following link, in 1841 M.S. referred to a male servant :

http://www.census-helper.co.uk/census-abbreviations/

Someone might correct me though.

Kind regards,

Pels.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 29 October 11 12:21 BST (UK) »
M.S. was definitely the standard abbreviation for Male Servant.

All domestic servants may be entered as “M.S.” for Male Servant, or “F.S.” for Female Servant, without statement of their particular duties, as whether butler, groom, gardener, housekeeper, cook, &c., &c.
http://freepages.history.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~framland/census/1841directions.htm

Jennifer
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Pels.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 29 October 11 12:26 BST (UK) »

That's what I believed too Jennifer, then thought knowing my luck - Ebenezer might be the one exception to the rule ! 

;D ;D

Pels.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cmphipps

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 29 October 11 12:37 BST (UK) »
Thank you team .
 What a shame . Just my luck.. When i was hoping the tide may turn ..
Thats the trouble with sailors never home when you want them ..
Thanks again
Chris

Offline Orielbenfro

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ORIEL (world wide 1042 ~ 2013)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 29 October 11 14:50 BST (UK) »
When you refer to Pembroke, do you mean Pembroke Town, the Town of Pembroke Dock or the county as in Pembrokeshire.
There is no Ebenezer James baptised in or around the area of Pembroke Town or Pembroke Dock, unless he was Chapel.
An Ebenezer James was baptised at Clydai in 1818, which the IGI shows as 06 Sep 1818. Also I have found reference to an Ebenezer James bapt 1819 at St Davids.
Do you have the names of any confirmed siblings available?
Was Ebenzer a Sailor (R. Navy) or was he a Mariner (civil shipping), if the later contact Dr Reg Davies at ;
http://www.welshmariners.org.uk/

Rgds
Orielbenfro
ORIEL a welsh window on a surname
ORIEL (world wide 1042 ~ 2013)
P.R.'s Pembs St Mary, St Michael & Monkton St Nicholas
e-books ~ Headstones & Memorials of St Mary, St Michael, Monkton St Nicholas
e-book ~ Park Street Cemetery Pembroke Dock
e-book ~ Ex Servicemen buried Llanion Cemetery
e-book ~ British Military Cemetery 1832 ~ 1948
Pembrokeshire Military Related Headstones 1714 ~ 2013
PEMBROKE Town & District (History of People and Places)
1946-2015

Offline cmphipps

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 29 October 11 17:04 BST (UK) »
Hello Oriel..
 I have to admit to having no information at all about him only reference i have to his existence is that he is on his sons marriage certificate his son is Thomas James born 1847 according to the marriage certificate, he was also a widower. He married Angelina Poldo 1883 Pembrokeshire whereby  Ebenezer states he is a sailor for fathers occupation .. I believe Thomas was a mariner as he was on the Great Western Steam Ship, 1886, when his son was born on board the ship which was on the river Cleddy at the time near Pembroke Dock and Ferry his name was Thomas Joshua James .
I have contacted Reg Davies in the vain hope that he may be able to help solve and unravel the knotted past ..
 Regards
Chris 

Offline Orielbenfro

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ORIEL (world wide 1042 ~ 2013)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 30 October 11 17:21 GMT (UK) »
Hello Oriel..
 I have to admit to having no information at all about him only reference i have to his existence is that he is on his sons marriage certificate his son is Thomas James born 1847 according to the marriage certificate, he was also a widower. He married Angelina Poldo 1883 Pembrokeshire whereby  Ebenezer states he is a sailor for fathers occupation .. I believe Thomas was a mariner as he was on the Great Western Steam Ship, 1886, when his son was born on board the ship which was on the river Cleddy at the time near Pembroke Dock and Ferry his name was Thomas Joshua James .
I have contacted Reg Davies in the vain hope that he may be able to help solve and unravel the knotted past ..
 Regards
Chris 
Angelina Poldo is of course listed on the ’81 census on the Family Search website dau of Christopher Poldo from Tuscany Italy. There are a number of interesting Italian families that arrive in Pembroke Town area post 1861.   
The IGI shows the family living in King Street Pembroke St Mary, this is incorrect, King Street is one of the early streets of the newly created town of Pembroke Dock, which was built on land that was covered by the Parish of Pembroke St Mary. Pembroke Dock St John began services circa 1844 and became the parish church in the 1860’s, although officialdom would continue to attribute P.D. streets to Pembroke St Mary for years to come.
I can find no reference to the baptism of the Poldo’s in the area, so would guess that the family is R.C. either worshipping at either Meyrick St or at St Patricks in Pennar. There are no R.C. registers deposited at the Rec. Off., as far as I am aware the Vatican forbade the practice.
I would suggest that the medal cards shown to James & Arthur Poldo for W.W. 1 both of the Welsh Regt are Poldo’s of Pemb Dock. The cards can be obtained from Ancestry.com or the TNA website or direct from Kew reference nbr is  WO 372/16 for both.
I am presuming your Thomas mrd Esther Evans probably at Llanelli in 4th Qtr 1861. I can find only one Thomas James baptised at Pembroke Dock in 1847 in the established church on the  11th Aug 1847 to James & Susan so that’s not yours.
If you wish to follow up the burials of your Poldo Family then refer to ;
http://www.pembrokeshire.gov.uk/content.asp?id=7224&f=s&sys=l&From=&To=&Surname=poldo&Forename=

I visit Llanion on a regular basis researching Pembrokeshire Ex-Military related headstones, so whilst I cannot spare the time to search and find them all, the location of the likes of Christopher’s grave is for me quite simple to find and photograph if his headstone survives.

I shall be looking into James Poldo for my own military related research so as to add to my 3,000+ database and background research.

Given that the Poldo’s are P.D. and that Thomas says in ’81 he was born at P.D. in 1847 it may be safe to assume that Ebenezer was mrd in the Cty and the only ones to fit are in 4th Qtr 1841 and 1st Qtr 1846. Therefore a look at the 1851 is rather essential to your research, with luck S.K.P. will supply you details of an Ebenezer with a 4 +/- year old son Thomas somewhere on the Cleddeau, or you can wait till I visit the library.

Rgds
Orielbenfro
ORIEL a welsh window on a surname
ORIEL (world wide 1042 ~ 2013)
P.R.'s Pembs St Mary, St Michael & Monkton St Nicholas
e-books ~ Headstones & Memorials of St Mary, St Michael, Monkton St Nicholas
e-book ~ Park Street Cemetery Pembroke Dock
e-book ~ Ex Servicemen buried Llanion Cemetery
e-book ~ British Military Cemetery 1832 ~ 1948
Pembrokeshire Military Related Headstones 1714 ~ 2013
PEMBROKE Town & District (History of People and Places)
1946-2015

Offline alltcafan

• RootsChat Member
  • sun setting in Powys
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 30 October 11 22:40 GMT (UK) »
Dear cmphipps,

1841 Park Street South, St Mary's, Pembroke      HO107   Piece 1451   Folio2/50   Pg 15

Ebenezar [sic]  JAMES  age 37    No occupation given   Born out of Parish
Margaret JAMES age 32  born in Parish
Williams JAMES age 12   born in Parish
John JAMES  age 7   born in Parish
Thomas James age 3 born in Parish

Unfortunately I couldn't find them in 1851.

1861 -  20 North Park Street, St Mary's Pembroke     RG 9     Piece4155    Folio 105    Pg 32
Ebenezer JAMES       Head    Married     Age 56       Mariner    born  Scleddy???????? Pembs [not clear]
Margret [sic] JAMES  Wife      Married     Age 53                      born   Whitechurch, Pembs

1871 -  Park Street South    St Mary's Pembroke      RG10    Piece 5516    Folio 28   Pg 19
Ebenezer JAMES   Head    Married    Age  67     Mariner       born Manor Bier  Pembrokeshire
Margaret JAMES    Wife     Married    Age  67                        born Whitechurch, Pembrokeshire
Ann MAGILL        Boarder  Widow     Age 54                         born Haverfordwest, Pembs

Hope the above helps a little (it may or may not be the right family.......)

Regards Alltcafan  :)

EVANS/ JONES / JAMES / REES - Llangeler, Penboyr, Llanfihangel ar Arth, Burry Port & South Wales
STEPHENS - Llangeler, Penboyr & Neath
DAVIES / REES / JONES - Kilrhedyn, Newcastle Emlyn