Author Topic: Thomas Protheroe ??  (Read 3760 times)

Offline red3

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Protheroe ??
« on: Sunday 30 October 11 03:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi
 I need help finding Thomas Protheroe a Lawyer.  Only know this from Robert's marriage cert.

His son is Robert Protheroe was born about 1822 or 1825. in Pembrokeshire Wales.  I have the history of Robert but can not get back any further.
I do not know if he had siblings.
 Robert married Mary Ann Palmer in London on the 29 March 1845.
Robert died 4 Jan 1871.  His widow and family then came to NZ in 1875.

Any help would be great!!
Ghent/Gent- Nottinghamshire, Canada to NZ
Brown- Ireland to NZ
Just- Durham to NZ
Battensby-Durham to NZ
Protheroe- Pembrokeshire /London to NZ
Capstick-Lancashire /York to NZ

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Protheroe ??
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 30 October 11 03:58 GMT (UK) »
Do you have the actual marriage certificate or does the information come from the London England marriages and banns records?  If so then I think that Thomas Protheroe's occupation may be Sawyer, not lawyer. Compare the capital S in Shoemaker for Mary Ann's father to the first letter of awyer.
Then look at George jackson's entry first on the page who's address is London Street. The L and the S's are different. :)

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 30 October 11 04:31 GMT (UK) »
This site has volunteers willing to do look ups of baptisms.
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~walesle/pem/chrec.htm

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 30 October 11 11:35 GMT (UK) »
1841 census has an 18 year old Robert Protheroe as a male servant in a household in Tenby HO107/1452/1 folio 19 pg 30

There is an extracted baptism IGI batch C081151 for Lamphey of Robert Prothroe bp 21/9/1823 son of Thomas & Mary, Lamphey being just to the east of Pembroke which he gave as pob in 1861.

Other siblings in the same batch - William bp 1816, George bp 1819, James bp 1819, Anne bp 1827, Maria bp 1829. I can see the 3 brothers on later census entries, so possibly worth following them to see if father's occupation the same on marriage certs?

Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 30 October 11 12:24 GMT (UK) »
1841 Lamphey Rd, Pembroke St Michael HO107/1451/4 folio 9a pg 13
Thos Protheroe 55 labourer
Mary 50
Anne 14
Maria 12
all born in county

1851 Lamphey Lane, Pembroke St Michael HO107/2476 folio 291 pg 15
James Protheroe head 30 labourer b. Lamphey
Ann wife 40 b. St Michael
William son 6 b. St Michael
Mary dau 4 b. St Michael
Thomas son 2 b. St Michael
next door
Mary Protheroe head widow 70 pauper b. Monkton
Thos Bevans son-in-law 22 labourer b. Stackpool
Ann Bevans dau 23 b. Lamphey
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline Orielbenfro

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ORIEL (world wide 1042 ~ 2013)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 30 October 11 19:04 GMT (UK) »
1851 Lamphey Lane, Pembroke St Michael HO107/2476 folio 291 pg 15
James Protheroe head 30 labourer b. Lamphey
Ann wife 40 b. St Michael
William son 6 b. St Michael
Mary dau 4 b. St Michael
Thomas son 2 b. St Michael
next door
Mary Protheroe head widow 70 pauper b. Monkton
Thos Bevans son-in-law 22 labourer b. Stackpool
Ann Bevans dau 23 b. Lamphey

Another sibling baptised to those shown may well be Jane of 1833 baptised at Lamphey

From my transcription of all the Parish Registers of Pembroke St Michael 1711 to 1950’s. From the Baptism Register which covers the period 1839 to 1901 I note the following
22 Jun 1846 Jane  natural daughter of Anne Protheroe of the Grove baptised by
30 Nov 1845 Lydia daughter of Anne Protheroe of the East End baptised by
13 June 1845 William son of James & Ann Protheroe of the East End labourer baptised by William Lloyd
22 Dec 1846 Mary dau of James & Ann Protheroe of the East End labourer baptised by W.M.D. Berrington
29 Oct 1848 Thomas to James & Ann Protheroe of the East End labourer baptised by W.M.D. Berrington/
From the same transcription from the Burial Register which covers the period 1813 to 1845
12 Apr 1842 Ann Protheroe of the East End aged 03 weeks buried by W. Bowling
From the same transcription from the Burial Register which covers the period 1846 to 1870
16 Mar 1857 Mary Ann Prothero of the East End aged 16 yrs buried by T. Crickley
13 Jun 1864 Agnes Protheroe of Orchard Buildings aged 02 yrs 06 months by D.W. Morris
23 July 1855 James Protheroe of the Eastend aged 33 yrs by Henry Williams
16 Jul 1859 Mary Protheroe of the Eastend aged 74 yrs by C. Douglas
26 Feb 1847 Thomas Protheroe of the Eastend aged 58 yrs by Charles Phillips
From the same transcription from the Burial Register which covers the period 1871 to 1929 I note
Anne Protheroe of the East End buried 03 Jun 1874 aged 60 yrs by S. Williams
John Protheroe of Orchard Buildings buried 13 Dec 1874 aged 66 yrs by Henry S. Blink

From the same transcription from the Mrge Register which covers the period 1837 to 1908 I note ;
18 Apr 1846 George Protheroe of full age a bach and labourer of the Eastend the son of Thomas Protheroe labourer mrd Lettice James of full age a spinster with no shown occupation of the Eastend the dau of Thomas James a labourer by banns in front of Will Lloyd. Both made their make in the presence of George Rudd and George Froyne
01 Mar 1845 James Protheroe of full age a bach and labourer of the Eastend the son of Thomas Protheroe a labourer married Anne Rossant of full age a spinster of the Eastend the dau of John Rossant a shoemaker by banns in front of Charles Philipps. James signed and Anne made her mark in the presence on James Mason and George Froyne.
(Note George Froyne was parish clerk at this time a position that had been and would remain in the family for generations at St Michael and St Mary)
26 Dec 1868 Thomas Hopla aged 23 a bach and shoemaker of Pembroke St Michael the son of William Hopla a shoemaker mrd Mary Protheroe aged 22 yrs a spinster with no shown occupation the dau of James Protheroe a labourer by banns in front of Henry S. Blink. Both signed their name in the presence of George John & James Hopla
(I have done a lot of work on behalf of others on the Hopla surname)
29 Oct 1870 George John aged 23 a bach and labourer of Pembroke St Michael the son of Thomas John a labourer mrd Mary Ann Protheroe aged 20 a spinster with no shown occupation of Pembroke St Michael the dau of George Protheroe a labouer by banns in front of Henry S. Blink. Both signed their names in the presence of William Evans and Mary Merriman
18 May 1850 Thomas Bevan of full aged a labouer of the Eastend the son of Thomas Bevan a labouer mrd Ann Protheroe of full aged a spinster with no shown occupation of the Eastend the daughter of Thomas Protheroe a labouer by banns in front of Charles Philipps. Both signed their names in front of James Protheroe and Wm Froyne.

I am aware of the baptism of 2 Lettice James one 1828 at Lamphey and one 1828 at Pembroke St Michael. The latter from my transcription of Pembroke St Michael in the Baptism Register which covers the period 1813 to 1839 ;
11 May 1828 Lettice dau of Thomas & Mary James of the Eastend a Mason baptised by C. Philipps

From my transcripton of the complete and all parish registers of Stackpole Elidor I note in the Baptism Register for the period 1813 to 1930
30 May 1828 Thomas to Thomas & Martha Bevans of Stackpole Village a labouer baptised by F. Geo. Leach
Further children baptised to this couple can be found at http://www.revjones.fsnet.co.uk/stackgrpreg/register.htm

Although this listing does not contain the full information held in my own transcription.

If I can assist you further please let me know.

Rgds
Orielbenfro
ORIEL a welsh window on a surname
ORIEL (world wide 1042 ~ 2013)
P.R.'s Pembs St Mary, St Michael & Monkton St Nicholas
e-books ~ Headstones & Memorials of St Mary, St Michael, Monkton St Nicholas
e-book ~ Park Street Cemetery Pembroke Dock
e-book ~ Ex Servicemen buried Llanion Cemetery
e-book ~ British Military Cemetery 1832 ~ 1948
Pembrokeshire Military Related Headstones 1714 ~ 2013
PEMBROKE Town & District (History of People and Places)
1946-2015

Offline red3

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 31 October 11 00:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Thank you all for this!!
I have the information from the Marriages and Bann register.  Yes it could be a S not and L.

Do you have the actual marriage certificate or does the information come from the London England marriages and banns records? If so then I think that Thomas Protheroe's occupation may be Sawyer, not lawyer. Compare the capital S in Shoemaker for Mary Ann's father to the first letter of awyer.
Then look at George jackson's entry first on the page who's address is London Street. The L and the S's are different. :)

Will follow up on these leads and see how far I get.

With warm regards Red3

Ghent/Gent- Nottinghamshire, Canada to NZ
Brown- Ireland to NZ
Just- Durham to NZ
Battensby-Durham to NZ
Protheroe- Pembrokeshire /London to NZ
Capstick-Lancashire /York to NZ