Author Topic: James Magee A Brigade RHA  (Read 922 times)

Offline chelsen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
James Magee A Brigade RHA
« on: Monday 31 October 11 08:04 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if anyone can explain why I cannot locate online the military papers of my Great Great Grandfather, James Magee, Quarter Master Sergeant, A Brigade, Royal Horse Artillery. 

I do not know when he enlisted but he was born about 1836 and was already a Quarter Master Sergeant by the time he married my Gt Gt Grandmother, Elizabeth O'Connell in 1864 in Secunderabad, India.

He died in Woolwich in 1873 in Woolwich, whilst still a serving officer.  After his death, his widow, Elizabeth, married for a second time to Robert Watts, also from A Brigade, RHA in Umballa.

I have found the military records of Robert Watts on Findmypast but cannot find those for James Magee.
I have found references to the birth of his daughters on the National Archives website on the Royal Horse Artillery Register of Marriages and Baptisms but so far, no military papers for James himself.

I would be grateful if someone can point me in the right direction.

Panton, Webley, Hinton, O'Connell, Magee, White, Huish, Meek, Wootten and Parslow amongst others

Offline apwright

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Magee A Brigade RHA
« Reply #1 on: Monday 31 October 11 09:15 GMT (UK) »
The most likely reason you can't find him in the FindMyPast pension records is one you've given yourself: he died whilst in service.

From FindMyPast's Help & Advice:
Why can’t I find an entry?
The series generally doesn't contain the records of soldiers who died in service or who took an early discharge because they didn’t receive a pension.

Adrian

Offline chelsen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 31 October 11 10:02 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for that very prompt reply.  He actually committed suicide in Nov 1873 while back in UK, living in Woolwich.

Would this affect his pension?

Does this mean I won't ever find any papers, or will I find them if I go to the National Archives or British Library?  I am relying on them to find out when and where he was born.

Carole
Panton, Webley, Hinton, O'Connell, Magee, White, Huish, Meek, Wootten and Parslow amongst others

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 31 October 11 10:39 GMT (UK) »
If  he was a  Quarter Master Sergeant when he died that is a senior non commissioned rank, and his records are likely to have been destroyed some time after his death.

However, you say he was still a serving "Officer" when he died, do you know that he took a commission? If that was the case Officers records are not included in those on FindMyPast.

Jebber

CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline chelsen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 31 October 11 12:10 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, Jebber, for taking the trouble to reply.  I think I have my terminology wrong.  As a Quarter Master Sergeant, I assume this is a non-commissioned rank.

Does this mean I will never be able to find his records?  I do not want to waste time in the NA or British Library if they won't be there.  It is not easy for me to get there.

I am also having trouble finding my Gt Gt Gt Grandfather's papers.  He was Thomas O'Connell and was killed in India in about 1860 while serving with the 3rd Madras European Regiment.  He was a private at the time of his death.  I assume I cannot find his records for the same reason.

Carole

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 31 October 11 12:14 GMT (UK) »
Someone will correct me if I am wrong, but I believe when someone died in service their records were later destroyed. I  have the same problem with my grandfather's records he was also a QSM.

Jebber
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline chelsen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 31 October 11 12:59 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your help, anyway.
Carole