Author Topic: Were they Jewish?  (Read 16026 times)

Offline Mouchoir

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Were they Jewish?
« Reply #18 on: Monday 02 July 12 20:10 BST (UK) »
Still no further forward with this ???

My most recent line of enquiry was to try to find John Dunbar Page Howes prior to his marriage to Charlotte Louisa Lewis Fridenry in 1843, on the offchance that he lived near to Charlotte and her father, coffee roaster John Fridenry.  Oddly though, I can't find him in the 1841 census either!  He was born around 1809 and was a painter.  His father, also John, was a gardener.

Any advice would be much appreciated as I seem to be spending hours and getting no nearer.  I did find someone on a google search who listed the surname Fridenry as a research interest, their email bounced back, so I've written a letter but I fear they may have moved.

Thank you!
Maddie
Fridenry, Rayner, Howes, Durrant, Brion, Dadd, Alleway

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 02 July 12 21:18 BST (UK) »
1841  HO107 680  Book 3 / Folio 12 / Page 16

has a Charlotte Fridy 22 yrs in St Marylebone district
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mouchoir

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 03 July 12 13:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks for this - I really appreciate you searching.  I don't think this can be the one though as this is a Charlotte K. Fr... and she appears in later census returns under this same spelling / middle initial - my Charlotte appears from 1851 onwards as the wife of John Dunbar Page Howes.

It is a mystery!

Thanks for taking the time.
Maddie :)

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 03 July 12 23:32 BST (UK) »
On a visit to a  Manchester Synagogue which is now a Jewish museum I asked a volunteer a question about how I could trace a baby girl born the same time as me and after my name Viktoria came,they explained that the name really is carried down the mother`s line as there is never any doubt as to who a child`s mother is but the father is not always so certain.
I gathered --perhaps mistakenly-- that surnames as such down the male line were not like that for Jewish people.
Please correct me if I am wrong but the lovely lady who gave the above explanation was Jewish and  I naturally felt she knew  how things differed from our patronymic system ( have I the correct spelling?)I`m wondering if this is perhapd why your relative is so elusive .
                                                                                                          viktoria 

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 04 July 12 18:03 BST (UK) »
Viktoria; Are you referring to a given name or a surname? I ask because there is a tradition in my family of the oldest girl in each generation having the name Melinda as one of here given names. When our daughter was born and named I was not aware of the tradition, and our daughter was duly named, but not Melinda. I was in the dog house for the next 36 years!
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 04 July 12 23:49 BST (UK) »
Well I was trying to find the surname, I knew the baby born at the same time as me was Viktoria and the family were Jewish but the newspaper cutting with the details had been lost, possibly in the blitz on M/C Dec 1940. We were born May 1937 and there was to be a re-union when we were 21 Although my parents were still at the same address we heard nothing and the surname  could not be recalled. It was difficult because  a trust fund had been set up so I did not want the other family to think that was my reason for wanting to make contact almost 50 years later. I  had traced one name with a baby girl Viktoria ,through FreeB.M.D, born at the same time and I thought the guides at the Synagogue may be able to help.That`s when the explanation came.
I`m 75 now so she may be dead, or gone to Israel. They were German Jews and the father had  a business in Germany as well as here so that would all have been lost and he may not have been able to keep the trust fund.That does not bother me in the slightest. They may have returned for reasons of business and perished that does bother me greatly. I feel a part of me is missing, sillyI know but the father visited my Mum when I was two days old and asked that I be also named Viktoria(German spelling) like his little girl .Mum had chosen my frst name but agreed that it could be my second name.I would so like to have met her. Too late now I strongly suspect. Viktoria.
P.S for form filling in etc when I say "with a k" it is usually written Vicktoria!!!!!

Offline Mouchoir

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 05 July 12 19:42 BST (UK) »
Thank you Viktoria.  I didn't know that.  I think I'll try to find out more about Jewish naming etc. to see if there are any other ways to pursue this.  The fact I'm having so many problems might lend weight to the idea that they are Jewish immigrants.

It's so sad that you have not been able to meet up with this other Viktoria.  I wonder if anyone has any ideas of places you could search.  Have you been on JewishGen?  I realise it will be difficult with no surname to search for, but there might be sites with message boards. Alternatively I always find myself reading that section in the Daily Mail (on Saturdays I think), where they have people writing in, trying to track down lost friends/family - it surprises me sometimes the connections they make.

I really hope you do find her.

p.s. How nice to have an unusual name (though getting it misspelt must get annoying!). My name is Madeleine and gets mangled in all sorts of ways (Madlen being the worst!!)

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 05 July 12 23:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks Mouchoir, I realise the baby would have to be registered in the father`s name in the  legal birth register and on her birth cert but I was asking the lady at the museum if they( the Jewish community) had a record of births and that is when she said for their records(Jewish) the baby would be in the mother`s name.
I have done what you suggested --in the Manchester Evening News but no reply.
The surname of the Viktoria I found sounds Jewish but I can`t disclose it as whoever that is may still be living .
Thanks for your help everyone. Viktoria.

Offline enwau

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 25 July 12 21:35 BST (UK) »
I see you have also got Rayner on your list of names.This can also be jewish.Try googling it.Best of luck with your searches.