Author Topic: Fairlie MADGWICK "Mather House" - Gourock 1867  (Read 9349 times)

Offline Sturdy

• RootsChat Member
  • John PARK and Louisa Jane PARK (nee STOREY) 1889
    • View Profile
What became of Shipmaster Frederick MADGWICK of Greenock, Scotland.
« Reply #18 on: Friday 06 October 17 07:15 BST (UK) »
I am new to maritime research so this enquiry may be in the wrong area to start with but here goes;

I am trying to determine what became of my 5 x grandfather Frederick MADGWICK. What I do know is that he was born around 1811 (according to the 1841 census he was 30) and married a Fairlie CONNEL at Greenock on the 2nd September, 1839. The local paper announced it as follows "
"MADGWICK, Frederick 1839 shipmaster, to Mrs R McFarlane, widow of Robert McFarlane,
shipmaster, at Greenock on 2nd September 1839 by Reverend Menzies" (Greenock
Advertiser 3.9.1839)

I know the Greenock Postal list for 1861-1862 had a Mrs Frederick MADGWICK living at 50 Eldon St, Greenock.

The papers of 1867 announced the death of Fairlie MADGWICK as follows; "MADGWICK, Fairlie Connel 1867, widow of Captain Madgwick died at Mather House, Gourock on 19th March
1867". (Greenock Advertiser 23.3.1867).

It would appear Fairlie married twice to Shipsmasters who both died before her. Assuming the worst that these deaths occurred at sea I was hoping to find a record of their maritime history that might indicate their service details and / or deaths. It has been mentioned to me that Lloyds Register of Sea Captains or similar would be a good start. Would anyone have access to these lists or any information on these Shipmasters - in particular Frederick MADGWICK. Any assistance or guidance would be greatly appreciated

Thanking you in advance

Sturdy 

STOREY Family London (Spitialfields, Shoreditch, Lambeth, Wandsworth) & Ballarat Aust 

PARK family Glasgow

MILLS (MILES) Family Kirkmaiden - Wigtownshire, Glasgow & Geelong Vic and Moulamein NSW, Aust

MILLER family London (Bethnal Green, Mile End Old Town) & Auckland, NZ

AVON family Cobh, Queenstown, Cashel (HUSSEY Family), Ireland & Melbourne Australia -

Offline buckhyne

• RootsChat Veteran
  • James Lawrie & Mary Ann Watson (1878)
    • View Profile
Re: What became of Shipmaster Frederick MADGWICK of Greenock, Scotland.
« Reply #19 on: Friday 06 October 17 09:45 BST (UK) »
I got this from the Merchant Navy & Maritime list in FindMyPast.
But I’m hopeless at searching for seamen there.

First name(s)   Fredk
Last name   Madgwick
Age   36
Birth year   1809
Birth date   ? ? 1809
Birth place   Middlesex
Birth county/country   Middlesex
Archive   The National Archives
Series   BT115
Piece number   7
Date range   1845-1854
Record set   Britain, Merchant Seamen, 1835-1857
Lawrie name in Fife (and elsewhere) with all its various spellings.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 06 October 17 10:47 BST (UK) »
The following are from https://www.freecen.org.uk/cgi/search.pl. There is more detail there, and you should check the originals at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk.

They're in the 1841 census in Greenock, in the household of Isabella Kennedy, lodging house keeper. Fredrick, 30, merchant seaman, born England; Fairlie, 38 and Elizabeth McFarlane, 12, both born Renfrewshire.

In 1851 the household consists of Isabella Kennedy, 72, lodging house keeper; daughter Fairlie Madgwick, 48, shipmaster's wife; granddaughter Eliza B McFarlane, 19; granddaughter Isabella S Madgwick, 8, all born Greenock.

In 1861 Fairlie and Isabella Sophia were still in Greenock. The original will tell you whether Fairlie was widowed or still married. Isabella died in Glasgow in 1869, aged 26, having married John Park in 1862 and had two children.

There's no death in Scotland after 1855, or in England or Wales. So it does look as if he died at sea or, just possibly, in Scotland between the 1851 census and the end of December 1854.

Edit: I see I am wasting my time duplicating old ground. This is the same family as in Scottish threads merged. - though the information in whatever transcription of the 1851 census was quoted in that thread does not tally with the FreeCEN transcription. I'd back FreeCEN over most other transcriptions most of the time, but you need to look at the original to make up your own mind what it actually says.

Anothere duplicate thread http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=674827

Buckhyne, you don't need to worry about searching for seamen's records for this query. The relevant extract has already been posted in that second thread.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline buckhyne

• RootsChat Veteran
  • James Lawrie & Mary Ann Watson (1878)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 06 October 17 11:40 BST (UK) »
The following are from https://www.freecen.org.uk/cgi/search.pl. There is more detail there, and you should check the originals at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk.

They're in the 1841 census in Greenock, in the household of Isabella Kennedy, lodging house keeper. Fredrick, 30, merchant seaman, born England; Fairlie, 38 and Elizabeth McFarlane, 12, both born Renfrewshire.

In 1851 the household consists of Isabella Kennedy, 72, lodging house keeper; daughter Fairlie Madgwick, 48, shipmaster's wife; granddaughter Eliza B McFarlane, 19; granddaughter Isabella S Madgwick, 8, all born Greenock.

In 1861 Fairlie and Isabella Sophia were still in Greenock. The original will tell you whether Fairlie was widowed or still married. Isabella died in Glasgow in 1869, aged 26, having married John Park in 1862 and had two children.

There's no death in Scotland after 1855, or in England or Wales. So it does look as if he died at sea or, just possibly, in Scotland between the 1851 census and the end of December 1854.

Edit: I see I am wasting my time duplicating old ground. This is the same family as in http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=564754.0 - though the information in whatever transcription of the 1851 census was quoted in that thread does not tally with the FreeCEN transcription. I'd back FreeCEN over most other transcriptions most of the time, but you need to look at the original to make up your own mind what it actually says.

Anothere duplicate thread http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=674827

Buckhyne, you don't need to worry about searching for seamen's records for this query. The relevant extract has already been posted in that second thread.

Thanks Forfarian.
Sturdy, this is from one of your other threads.

Frederick   Madgwick
Merchant Seaman
Age 36
Born 1809 Middlesex England
Series B T 115
1845- 1854
Piece No. 7
                                      Norma

You already have the info I posted.
Why didn't you just bump one of your other threads or at least link to them?
As Forfarian says it's just a waste of time and resources for rootschatters to respond to you.
You are what we in Scotland call a 'tap dancer;D
Lawrie name in Fife (and elsewhere) with all its various spellings.