Author Topic: Michael Grever  (Read 2893 times)

Offline Oates

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Michael Grever
« on: Tuesday 15 November 11 22:21 GMT (UK) »
My ggggrandfather Michael Grever and his wife Mary Gaffy had a child Thomas who was baptised on 11/23/1814 at Bishop's Caundle (Roman Catholic?)  Dorset, England. Are there any records available that could shed some light on this family? For example, census data, etc. Thank you for your assistance.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Michael Grever
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 November 11 22:28 GMT (UK) »
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 November 11 22:33 GMT (UK) »
Are you descended from Thomas?  Did he remain in Dorset?  Who did he marry and when?
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Oates

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 15 November 11 22:41 GMT (UK) »
Carole:

He was my ggggrandfather. Mary Gaffy was his wife and I can assume they were married in Ireland around 1800 as their first child Bridget was born in Ireland in 1804. I do not know what became of Michael after the birth of Thomas. I was not aware of the other son Patrick.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 15 November 11 23:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I think you have misunderstood my question above.  I asked if you were descended from Thomas etc

There is no trace of either of the boys in the censuses so I wonder if the family returned to Ireland

If you have no direct connection to Thomas - he may have died in infancy

Offline Oates

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 15 November 11 23:14 GMT (UK) »
Carole:

I will attempt to answer your question. Michael Grever and Mary produced Bridget, among others,who married my gggrandfather Michael Oates on 8/22/1828 in Athlone, Ireland. This union produced my ggrandfather Patrick who was married in England in 1858. This union produced my grandfather John Oates who married Ellen McGuire. This union produced my mother and here I am today. Thanks.

Tim

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 15 November 11 23:23 GMT (UK) »
Right - so you don't know whether Thomas & Patrick survived infancy and returned to Ireland

If Bridget was born in 1804 and married in Ireland - it's odds on that Michael & Mary returned to Ireland sometime after Patrick's birth in 1818.  Bridget would only have been 14yrs old when Patrick was born 

Unless deaths can be found for the boys in Dorset parish records - it would seem that your search for info about them needs to be in Ireland

Offline Oates

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 15 November 11 23:32 GMT (UK) »
Carole:

Thank you for you advice. I am not really concerned about Thomas and Patrick - as callous as that might sound- I was trying to find information about Michael such as his date of birth, etc. I will pursue other venues. Thanks again.

Regards,

Tim