Author Topic: Arthur NORTON Headmaster at HASWELL  (Read 4595 times)

Offline NormanE

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Arthur NORTON Headmaster at HASWELL
« on: Thursday 17 November 11 14:51 GMT (UK) »
Arthur NORTON c 1856 Appears to have been a teacher At HASWELL from about 1881 right through until his retirement in 1933.  The Census records through to 1911 show him to be Headmaster in 1911.

Apart from the census I have been unable to find any detail of his life or the school at Haswell.

It would be much appreciated if any pointers or informaton was made available.
Regards
NormanE

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Arthur NORTON Headmaster at HASWELL
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 November 11 16:10 GMT (UK) »
In 1890, he was the Head Master of the Haswell Colliery Schools (mixed & infants), which was built in 1873, by the Haswell, Easington & Shotton Coal & Coke Co. for 720 children.
In 1914 he was the Head Master of the Haswell Public Elementary School (boys, girls, & infants) which was built in 1910.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 17 November 11 16:35 GMT (UK) »
If you go to http://gis.durham.gov.uk/website/interMAP/viewer.htm and put the coordinates 437110, 542971 in to search the map will centre on the location of the first school. 437350, 543150 will centre the map on the second school location. You can select maps of various dates. You can also use the same coordinates at http://www.old-maps.co.uk/maps.html which has better quality maps.
You can see the 1910 school on Google Street View at http://www.rootschat.com/links/0h7w/
Stan

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 18 November 11 02:54 GMT (UK) »
In the entry under Haswell in the Post Office Directory 1879 Arthur Norton is the Master of Haswell Colliery National School. {School} Mistress was Miss Annie Johnson. I wondered if he married Miss Johnson but he seems to have married 1877 Jane Hamilton F. Scott in the Easington area. Marriage available on Durham Records Online.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 18 November 11 12:05 GMT (UK) »
There are many photos of Haswell at http://www.haswell-history.co.uk/album/index.html including Haswell School Infants Class 1907, 1919, 1950, 1946, and an undated one. There is also one of Church Street with the school buildings visible on the right.

Stan

Offline NormanE

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 18 November 11 15:01 GMT (UK) »
For Stan and Barryd
Wow what a lovely GULP of information. The maps set the scene for me and the confirmation of schools was new to me.
I had seen the Heswell School pictures but they mostly lack teachers and no pupil names.
What I know so far is that Arthur returned from a trip to Ireland in 1872 along with his future bride Francis aged 17. Don't know anything about the time to their marriage in 1877. Six children of the seven born to Arthur an Francis were born at Haswell between 1878 and 1896. It seems likely they would have been schooled in Haswell up to about 1910. School registers or pupil named photo's if they exist might help.
I have Portrait pictures of Arthur and Francis said to have been taken in 1935
Again many thanks for your help
NormanE

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 18 November 11 15:04 GMT (UK) »
In the entry under Haswell in the Post Office Directory 1879 Arthur Norton is the Master of Haswell Colliery National School.
"National Schools" set up by the Church of England, were founded in 1811, under the auspices of the 'National Society for the Education of the Poor". In some cases, like the one in Haswell, local landowners or industrialists provided the sites for the buildings and helped with the costs.

Stan

Offline Porpoise

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 09 April 15 22:44 BST (UK) »
Arthur Norton was my great great grandfather.  Do you have any information about his ancestors?

Offline NormanE

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 10 April 15 06:10 BST (UK) »
Porpoise
Have you got access to Ancestry.com?
Norman E