Author Topic: Strood, Kent, Poor Law Union  (Read 20630 times)

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Strood, Kent, Poor Law Union
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 22 April 12 17:03 BST (UK) »
No further clues but Herbert William BANKS bp Strood St Nicholas 8 Apr 1894 son of Frederick and Minnie of 2 Lloyds Yard, High Street - labourer http://www.rootschat.com/links/0lde/

Casalguidi :)

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline martytriple

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 23 April 12 09:24 BST (UK) »
Casalguidi

I will look at the Banks family, I have experience of the Medway on line achives bit labourious but worth taking your advice to see what pops up. Could take a while.

Martyn
Elliot, Elliott, Kent, Strood Workhouse, Farningham Home for Little Boys

Offline Pedropepper

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 23 April 12 17:24 BST (UK) »
All,

Interesting: an Eliza Collins (nee Elliot) deposited both Minnie & Burtie into the Strood, ie Union Poor House. Eliza had a sister, also named Millie Elliot!

Both Frederick Banks and George Collins (Eliza'a spouse) were cement workers. This might explain Reginald's appearance in the Workhouse, later than Minnie & Burtie, deposited by a Mrs Elliot (sub-defuge perhaps)?

My friend who is helping me with my end of the search thinks that maybe a copy of Reginald Alfred Banks Birth Certificate might illuminate further?

Regards

Offline martytriple

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 24 April 12 19:48 BST (UK) »
Peter

Do you have any info on where the Collins / Elliots lived etc as I can't track anything through on the censuses with any conviction.

I also can't find anything on the BMD's which is convincing.

Martyn

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 24 April 12 20:14 BST (UK) »
I did see this Minnie ELLIOTT but couldn't see anything to connect her.  However, if it is definitely Eliza Matilda COLLINS nee ELLIOTT who took Bertie and Minnie to the Union then ..........

Martyn, search for Minnie ELLIOTT age 6 born Ireland in the 1881 census of Higham (she is a visitor in Strood born Limerick 1891) - parents William John ELLIOTT and Elizabeth Theodosia HALL - her baptism can be found on the IGI.  RG11/880 folio 51 page 10 for 1881. 

Minnie would be the sister to Eliza M(atilda) ELLIOTT m George A COLLINS ........... Eliza M COLLINS age 30 born Scotland in Strood 1901 census RG13/720 folio 77 page 12

It would certainly make sense if Reginald's mother was Minnie ELLIOTT and explain why the children were deposited with the name ELLIOTT if their parents weren't actually married and perhaps the only three belonging to Minnie ???

Casalguidi  :)

Offline Pedropepper

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 24 April 12 20:34 BST (UK) »
Marty,

Looking back at my information, I have made a note that they were in Dartford in the 1901 census.

Regards

Offline helburt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 25 April 12 10:32 BST (UK) »
Hi, Pete's friend here.  This is the info that Medway Archives sent me, which is where we got Eliza Collins from:

"The creed register (ref: WIc/, microfilm 167) shows that Reginald Elliott was admitted from Strood Intra on 11 August 1902, and discharged on 27 July 1904. The name of the informant is given as Mrs Elliott. The same page of the creed register shows the admission of two other Elliotts, Bertie and Minnie, who were admitted on 6 March 1902 from Strood Intra and also discharged on 27 July 1904. . The name of the informant is given as 'aunt'. The name of the pauper's nearest relative or friend is given as 'Eliza Collins, 5 Pearson Street, Station Road, Strood.'

The admission and discharge register for 1902 (ref: WIa/2, microfilm 161) confirms this information. P. 41 shows the admission of Bertie and Minnie Elliott. Bertie was aged 9 and born in 1893, and Minnie aged 6 and born in 1896. They were brought in by their aunt Eliza Collins of the address mentioned above. P. 65 records the admission of Reginald Elliottt, aged 4 who was born on 1898. No extra notes accompany his admission."

I feel that it would be worth getting the birth certificate for Reginald Banks (and/or Herbert or Minnie) as it would establish whether the mother was Eliza, who Frederick appeared to be married to, although I haven't yet found a marriage cert, or Minnie, as stated on the baptism.

Offline martytriple

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 25 April 12 10:58 BST (UK) »
Hi

Thanks for this I have been in touch with Pete by eMail as well, he said it appeared that Herbert (Bertie) and Minnie went back to Dartford in 1911 census, but the Farningham Home record shows Herbrt going to West Wales 21 June 1909 and this is confirmed on the 1911 census.

I have sent Pete copies of the Farningham Home records for both Reginald and Herbert and the admission date is exactly the same as their discharge date from the Poor Union Workhouse.

Thanks for any help you can/have given as you know myself and Pete have been on this for years with very slow progress.

Martyn

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 25 April 12 12:34 BST (UK) »
The same page of the creed register shows the admission of two other Elliotts, Bertie and Minnie, who were admitted on 6 March 1902 from Strood Intra and also discharged on 27 July 1904. . The name of the informant is given as 'aunt'. The name of the pauper's nearest relative or friend is given as 'Eliza Collins, 5 Pearson Street, Station Road, Strood.'

Excellent!!  That would be Eliza COLLINS nee ELLIOTT with a sister Minnie b1875 Limerick, Ireland as mentioned above ............... the address confirms as that's where she was living at the time of the 1901 census :)

To me, the most likely scenario at present looks to be that Frederick Valentine BANKS married Eliza (surname unknown at present) and had Frederick junior 1892 but by 1893 was with Minnie (probably ELLIOTT and sister to Eliza COLLINS nee ELLIOTT).

Of course, it's quite likely that the birth certificate of Reginald BANKS won't reveal anything already deduced by the above.  Is there enough there to convince you that Reginald Patrick Tarleton ELLIOTT is actually Reginald Alfred BANKS?

Have you exhausted every possible avenue to try and establish a date of birth for Reginald Patrick ................ obituary/gravestone/work records/club records which you could compare with that given on a birth certificate?  There are the Sep 1939 National registration records but it is very expensive and very much taking the chance that he was at home on that night as you need a definite address and, of course, that he actually knew his exact date of birth.

Casalguidi :)