Author Topic: James Grant and lillias Stuart  (Read 8690 times)

Offline Wilfiedog

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Grant and lillias Stuart
« Reply #18 on: Friday 18 May 12 19:20 BST (UK) »
Abernethy Cemetery:
1860 Jas Grant,farmer, Tomcrocher 10.1829 wife Lilias Stuart 6.1840 son John esq. Malta erected.

This any help? Can't find a grave for the other couple

Offline flaorilia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 08 September 12 00:56 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I'm french canadian and looking for any information on Malcolm Grant who came to Riviere-du-Loup around 1801-1803. I'm a descendant of his son William Grant born Abernathy 29 oct 1796.
Here is the transcript of OPR:
William, lawful son to Malcolm Grant Smith, Bridge-End + Mary Smith his spouse, born 29th october bapt. 3nd nov. 1796
Wit. John Grant (There) and Alexander Fraser in Rothymoon.

On the same page of OPR:
Ann lawful daughter to Alexander Fraser in Rothymoon and Christian Grant his spouse born 4th bapt. 8th january 1797.
Wit. Malcolm Grant Bridge-End and the Schoolmaster

I saw on Nethy-bridge website that a Malcolm Fraser was schoolmaster in 1949 but I don't think it is the same one who married Mary Smith. He would have been too old.

Malcolm died probably in Riviere-du-Loup between 1816-1820 as saw on his child marriage records.
Some says that Malcolm was  son to Thomas Grant and Janet Fraser...

Thank you

Offline fraser1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 13 September 12 17:08 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Sorry not to have replied sooner but this is a busy time of year.  Lots of jam and preserves to be made and the garden tidied for next spring.

On reading your message I do not see any names that I recognize but when I have more time I will delve into the records to see if I can find anything that might be of interest to you.

Sandra

Offline flaorilia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 13 September 12 21:10 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for your answer.

I found another record dating from June 1784, Abernathy and Kincardine. It is not well preserved so I can't read all informations on it, but, I can see that (a so)n to Malcolm Grant and (                ) servants to Capt. Grant was born in May and baptized in (     ).
and there is two names: Thos. Grant in Lynagarrie  and Thos. Grant
   (both the same names, for the witnesses probably)

Maybe one of this Thomas is the grandfather.

I would like to add that reading about the well-know here, Malcolm Fraser 1733-1815. I saw somewhere that
he was sometimes sending money via a Rev. John Grant   to his sister Jannet Fraser married to Thomas Grant and that Jannet Fraser's son came to Riviere-du-Loup in 1803 with his wife and family (from an article of Mary Fraser). Searching the records of Riviere-du-Loup, where I have been raised, I saw only my ancestor Malcolm Grant's descendants. So, I supposed my ancestor Malcolm Grant was this Malcolm Fraser's nephew.

It is everything I know about my ancestors in Scottland.

Have nice time with your jam, I'm also busy but with tomato sauce.

Offline fraser1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 10 January 16 16:14 GMT (UK) »
Coming back to this after filling in gaps elsewhere.  I have spent many fruitless hours trying to find a marriage and births for both without success.
What I have is

They are the parents of Alexander Grant born 13/2/1800 information on his BC
No DC for James but Lilias's showing she died 4/3/1868 thus born around 1780, her parents Peter Stuart and Janet Robertson.  There is a marriage in 1793 but lilias would only have been 13 if the information on her DC is correct.

Maybe this is as far back as I can go but perhaps someone might be able to find out.

Sandra

Offline fraser1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 10 January 16 19:39 GMT (UK) »
I wondered about resurrecting the old thread and decided against it as the correct pair had been found.  Sorry for making the wrong decision.

Sandra