Author Topic: Kennedy, Nenagh  (Read 9404 times)

Offline finnbaker

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Kennedy, Nenagh
« on: Wednesday 30 November 11 12:45 GMT (UK) »
My GGgrandmother Catherine Kennedy came to Port Phillip in May 1849, on the Pemberton, she was to go to a Patrick Kennedy at Newtown, but married Joseph Cousins three weeks later. Is there any way I can find out who Patrick Kennedy was. As I have had no luck in finding out anything about Catherine before her arrival in 1849, she was 18 years of age.

Offline anniedwyer84

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Irish Nutter on the Hunt for Rellies :-)
    • View Profile
Re: Kennedy, Nenagh
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 30 November 11 23:03 GMT (UK) »
Do you have a marriage certificate for her marriage...and if so, does it have her parents names on it?

There is an 1832 birth for a Catherine Kennedy in Nenagh but can't be definite unless you have anything with parents names on it.

Regards,

Annie
The surnames, which I am interested in are; Maternal side: Ryan, Kevin, Grant, Grady, Gleeson, Walsh, Dwyer, Paternal side: O' Dwyer, Woodlock, Rochford & Britton - all in Tipperary; and Kelly and Hoynes in Laois.

Ryan, Campbell, Luttrell, Grant, Grahame, Bainbridge and Brown in Queensland, Australia

Tighe in Victoria, Australia.

Grant in Philadelphia, Sullivan and Penny in New York; and Britton in Connecticut

Offline finnbaker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 01 December 11 03:45 GMT (UK) »
Dear Annie, I have Catherine and Joseph Cousins' marriage certificate of 2nd or16th June 1849, but there are no provisions for parents on this old certificate. On her death certificate someone has listed his name as Phillip a publican, but I cannot see this as true. I have notes from a Mary kenna from the Nenagh union, who was employed by Jeremiah bowles, who wrote home and her letter was published in the Nenagh Guardian 5th January 1850. She also memtioned Margaret Cawley and Margaret Kennedy who also were getting married.This also mentioned a number of other details.
I wrote to the Nenagh Historical Society in 1999 and they said there was nothing about my GGgrandmother. ???? This was before the PRO here in Melbourne found the above information.
Certainly the date you have given would be about correct as she died in 1868 at 36 year.
Once again many thanks.

Offline finnbaker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 22 December 11 13:30 GMT (UK) »
Dear anniedwyer84. I posted a message on 1st December re Catherine Kennedy, for whom you found a birth certificate in Nenagh, but as yet I have not received a reply. Have I done something incorrectly. Could you please let me know.
regards finnbaker.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 22 December 11 13:50 GMT (UK) »
The record that Annie located for you was, I believe, a transcript of a baptism, rather than a birth certificate. Registration of births started much later in 1864.

You would probably need some definite details on Catherine's parents to be able to confirm or rule that out that as a possible baptism for your Catherine.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline finnbaker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 23 December 11 01:14 GMT (UK) »
:)Dear Shane, herewith the information i sent previously . i have Catherine and Joseph cousin's marriage certificate in June 1849, but there are no provisions for parents on this old certificate. on her death certificate someone has listed his name as Phillip a publican, but i cannot see this as true. i have notes from a Mary Kenna from the Nonah union, who was employed by Jeremiah Bowles, who wrote home and her letter was published in the Nenah guardian 5th January 1850. she also mentioned Mary Cawley and Margaret Kennedy who also were getting married. this also mentioned a number of other details. I wrote to the Nenah historical society in 1990 and they said there was nothing about my ggrandmother. this was before the PRO here in Melbourne found the above information. Is it possible to get a copy of this newspaper article, from so long ago?. Hope you have a Merry Christmas, and thank you for your speedy reply.
Regards Jan Chapman.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 23 December 11 10:01 GMT (UK) »
There are some historic newspapers available online on the subscription website called IrishNewsArchive. They appear to have images of the Nenagh Guardian listed as 'The Guardian'. Not clear what dates they hold or how complete the archive is for that paper, but it started publishing in 1838 - see : The Guardian

A cover search (which you can do without charge) seems to show that they do have some detail of a paper from 5 Jan 1850

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Sliotar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 04 January 12 09:51 GMT (UK) »
you mention that the letter in the Guardian mentioned other details, are there any mentions of townslands, villages etc. It may be an idea to search the Guardian under Philip + Kennedy + Publican.

Offline finnbaker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 08 January 12 12:58 GMT (UK) »
 :)thanks for your reply. i cannot find any details on the guardian, i have searched for three hours and found every date but 5th january 1850. catherine came to australia aboard the pemberton, with 317 other single girls. they are all listed in a book called Barefoot and Pregnant, (which i have lost). i have been told tithe books country tipperary north has a phillip kennedy, in silver street page 22-24, but this is all i know. think i will just give up. regards finnbaker.