Author Topic: Robert Herbertson born Glasgow circa 1805  (Read 5650 times)

Offline rickeyh

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Herbertson born Glasgow circa 1805
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 03 December 11 01:14 GMT (UK) »
From this post, http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,345145.10.html  akc has pointed me to a baptism of Robert Herbertson in Feb 1807 son of Robert Herbertson, in Dalton, Dumfrieshire. As per the certificate on Scottlands People no other details are known. Date of birth and father's name match more closely to my Robert Herbertson. Does anyone know anything more about this Robert Herbertson and his father? Mother's name? Relationship to James??

There seems to me that a lot of the Dumfries stuff isn't on Ancestry or FamilySearch?

Slowly getting there I think.

Thanks
Rickey

Offline hume

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 05 December 11 00:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rickey,

I'm not sure this helps you at all, but I've managed to get a copy of James Herbertson's will and inventory from 1858/1859. It appears to confirm that he was married three times; firstly to Janet Dougal, second to Margaret Hunter and again to a Catherine Rankine in 1854. His children and/or their heirs are given several parts of his estate, and are mentioned throughout along with a summary at the end. They are as follows:

George Herbertson (prev. described as wright and builder in Glasgow), John Herbertson, Alexander Herbertson, Andrew Herbertson, David Herbertson [...] and Margaret Herbertson

No mention of any Robert however. :-X However, Henry (confirmed to be a son) isn't mentioned either so I'm really unsure of the significance (if any) of it.

hume

Offline rickeyh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 05 December 11 00:23 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Hume, it doesn't help with Robert but it is very good to be able to confirm that he married both Janet and Margaret. The third wedding is certainly news to me.

Robert born 1807, son of Robert might be the one I'm after but without further details it is hard to know.

Can chance of a copy of the will?

Regards

Rickey

Offline rickeyh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 27 April 15 04:18 BST (UK) »
Howdy, been a while but I was wondering Hume, about this comment;

'However, Henry (confirmed to be a son) isn't mentioned either '

I'm just interested in how you confirmed it because I can't find a birth record for him and it is very strange that he is the only child not mentioned in James' will.

Thanks
Rickey

Offline rickeyh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 05 May 15 01:43 BST (UK) »
Sorry, but it's been a while since I looked at this myself. Just realised I have Henry's death certificate with James and Margaret as his parents.