Author Topic: Bridewell Hospital and Freedom of the City  (Read 2314 times)

Offline Kiwicol

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bridewell Hospital and Freedom of the City
« on: Monday 05 December 11 23:01 GMT (UK) »
Charles Cecil son of Charles Cecil late of St John the Evangelist at Westminster, by and with the license and consent of Governor of the Hospital of Bridewell London 1730 was apprenticed to William Phillips a weaver, seven years got his freedom of the city in 1739.
Why would the governor of Bridewell Hospital be involved in arranging an aprenticeship?
Could Charles have been an orphan?

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Bridewell Hospital and Freedom of the City
« Reply #1 on: Monday 05 December 11 23:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Information on Bridewell Hospital and apprenticeships can be found on the London Lives website (hospital had a wider meaning - a charitable organisation for the needy which might then be a charitable medical hospital, a school or an old people's refuge for instance)

http://www.londonlives.org/static/Bridewell.jsp

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jh63

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 14 June 12 14:16 BST (UK) »
Was Googling Bridewell Hosp. in connection with my direct ancestor Charles Cecil & came across your message. Have now registered with Roots Chat.Com in order to contact you. How are you linked to Charles? I am a descendant of his son Henry born 1745. Am 6th cousin to Len Goodman! Hope to hear from you.

Offline Burford

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 23 December 15 23:22 GMT (UK) »
I am a descendant of Charles Cecil.  I was told that one of my ancestors was an illegitimate child of "some Lord" and that I had a French Hugenot grandmother from way back.  After much research I came across Charles Cecil and Judith Raby, and I descend from their son George b. 1750.  A "Charles" no surname was born to a Margaret Hoskins on Nov. 17th, 1715 at St. Martin's in the Fields.  A Margaret Hoskins was baptized Feb. 4, 1693 To Charles and Elizabeth Hoskins.  Elizabeth Hoskins was baptized Jan. 14, 1665 to Charles and Susanna Peach at Stamford in Lincolnshire.  Stamford was the seat held by The Hon. Charles Cecil from 1705-1722 and would probably have resided in the Parish St. John the Evangelist, when the House of Parliament was in Session.  It is my supposition that Elizabeth (Peach) Hoskin was perhaps a servant at Burleigh House and either came or was brought to London by the Cecils to work in their London residence.                                                   The Westminster Rate Books show a Charles Hoskin living in St. Margaret's Parish from 1696 to 1724.  Charles Hoskins died Aug. 6, 1728--Elizabeth Hoskins died Mar. 23, 1733 and Margarett Hoskin died Sept. 5, 1736 all of St. Margaret's.                                                                                 I think that it is possible that Charles Cecil b. 1715 to Margarett Hoskin was the aforesaid illegitimate son of The Hon. Charles Cecil.  He was the son of John the 6th Earl of Exeter and Ann Cecil.                                                                                                                                                                As for The Charles Cecil and Elizabeth Lumley -- they married in 1734 and he died in 1737 and therefore not the parents of my ancestor.  Hope this helps with the mystery of Charles Cecil's, of Bridewell, parents--admittedly with a lot of supposition.

Offline Burford

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 30 December 15 15:20 GMT (UK) »
Thank you  for your reply Kwikcol.  As this is only my second post I'm not able to reply directly to you but yes I'm more than happy to share my lineage from Charles Cecil with you.  Here goes:                   George Cecil born to Charles and Judith Raby 1750.   He married Sarah (Cordwell) and one of their children Sara Cecil was born 1798.  Sara firstly married Samuel Powell in 1825.  They had 2 daughters, Rachel and Mary Anne (1828).  Samuel died in 1838.  Sara (Cecil) Powell married Thomas Burford in 1843 and coincidently Mary Anne, her daughter, married Thomas's widowed son John Henry Burford in 1848.  Their first child Thomas Burford (1848) is my Great Grandfather.  Now if anyone can follow that, I'm impressed.  Sara Cecil was a Weaver and my GG Grandfather Thomas was a Weaver and Trimming Manufacturer.                                                                                                              With regard to The Freedom of the City Papers for Henry Cecil, I feel these are a little ambiguous and that the date of 1739 refers to Charles Cecil's Admission, his Father and not a brother of Charles.  It would have been nice if all the dates had been filled in.                                                      I did obtain a copy of The Hon. Charles Cecil's Will to see if he had any provision for perhaps an illegitimate son but no, however, he did leave a year's wages to his servants so he seems to have been a pretty decent man and perhaps did arrange for his possible son Charles to have a trade, through Bridewell.  Quite frankly, being a real British History buff,  I would love to be able to connect to the Cecil Family and the Welsh connection, warts and all.  Hope to hear from you.   

Offline SarahsGGgd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Bridewell Hospital and Freedom of the City - Sarah Cecil
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 01 February 17 09:27 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I am new to Roots, but I found your post and hope I am doing the right thing!  Charles Cecil and Judith Raby  are also my ancestors.  Their son Charles Daniel was baptised 17 March 1740.  He married Elizabeth Archer on 11 Feb. 1765.  Their son, also Charles Cecil, was baptised 13 Aug. 1766 in Stepney.  He married Martha Harrison, 1770-1839.  Their son, James Cecil, was born 26th May, 1790. He married Priscilla ?.  Their son, also James Cecil, was born 24 July, 1817.  He married Sarah Susannah Lacey on 25 Dec. 1842.  Their daughter was Sarah Caroline Priscilla Cecil who was born in 1846.  She married George Parker, in Scarsdale Victoria, Australia in 1871.  George came from the same area of London - in fact there were Cecils and Parkers baptised in the same church in Shoreditch.  I know he came to Australia on the True Briton when he was 17 (a gentleman) in 1864.  I can find no record of when Sarah travelled to Australia!  Sarah C.P. was a silk weaver in London.  I can take your Charles Cecil and Judith Raby back 2 generations.  Do you have any other information?  Thank you.

Offline Kiwicol

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 02 July 17 05:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Sarah I don't get on here too often
I have the names of three of their sons, but nothing further on that branch, aside from when they died in South Australia (Sara CP 1914 Prospect, South Australia, Australia)
if you private message me we can exchange info
Found Daniel Raby's correct parentage.
Cheers Colin

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 02 July 17 07:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Colin & SarahsGGd

New members need a higher post count to be able to use the personal message system.

There are details here

http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline SarahsGGgd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 02 July 17 09:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Kiwicol,
As this is only my second post, I will have to answer you here! Sarah (CP Cecil) and George Parker had 4 sons before George died aged 30.  One of the sons, Cecil, drowned in the river Torrens aged 6.  Of the 3 remaining sons (George, Frederick and Beattie), Beattie Henry Parker - the youngest, was my grandfather.  He had 2 sons:  Cecil David Parker (known as Guy) and Bert Harrison Parker, my father.  Interesting that both Cecil, David and Harrison are all family names.  It was interesting to come across Martha Harrison as that must be where the Harrison comes from.  One of our sons has Harrison as a second name, and my brother's grandson is Harrison.  Bert came Beattie - his nickname was Bert, and, as he didn't like nicknames, my father was called Bert! 
Sarah Caroline Priscilla Parker owned a shop in Prospect and I have a photo of her outside the shop!  But I still can't find how she got to Australia.  The grandson of George Parker (brother of Beattie) has written an historical novel about Sarah.  I hope this helps.