Author Topic: Johnstons & Grahams of Cormoy, Aghabog parish  (Read 11034 times)

Offline anniehadden

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Johnstons & Grahams of Cormoy, Aghabog parish
« on: Wednesday 07 December 11 04:55 GMT (UK) »
William JOHNSTON of the Mountain Hill in Cormoy townland, Aghabog parish, Co. Monaghan, married Eliza Jane CALVIN/COLVIN in 1837 at Stonebridge Presbyterian Church, Clones parish, Co. Monaghan.

William was the son of James JOHNSTON, a farmer of Cormoy, and Eliza was the daughter of William CALVIN and Anne HADDEN of Creevelea, Clones parish, Co. Monaghan.

William JOHNSTON and Eliza Jane CALVIN's known children were:

1. Anne JOHNSTON - born about 1838, married Ebenezer WILKIN 1857, lived at Kinduff, Ematris parish. They registered life events at the Killeevan Church of Ireland. Eben died in 1901 (left a will) and his widow Anne was counted in the 1901 census, but we don't know her death date.

2. Joseph JOHNSTON - born May 1845, baptised at Newbliss Church of Ireland.

3. Eliza Jane JOHNSTON - born Oct. 1, 1850; baptised at Newbliss Church of Ireland.

4. Maria JOHNSTON - born about 1852, married widower Thomas GRAHAM 1874, lived at Cormoy, Aghabog parish. They baptised children in the Church of Ireland as well as Newbliss Presbyterian Church. We don't know the death date/location of either Thomas or Maria.

5. John JOHNSTON - born Aug. 2, 1855; baptised at Newbliss Church of Ireland.

We know a good bit more about the Wilkins, a little about the Grahams, and nothing about the other JOHNSTON children and their spouses -- if they lived to adulthood and married.

Are any of these people your ancestors? Any information about them would be greatly appreciated!

Annie

Offline johntysandra

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Johnstons & Grahams of Cormoy, Aghabog parish
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 July 15 20:37 BST (UK) »
my greatx2 grandfather from moy co tyrone mentioned his brother Thomas Johnston of Glenn an in his will, I have been searching for years for his parents not knowing about his brother, so I have not been looking at co Monaghan. I don't know if Glennan is anywhere near Clones but my Gx2 grandfather was called Galbraith Johnston and he was chairman of the town commission you would think it would be fairly easy to find his parents.He was church of Ireland married Margaret Harpur and had at least 6 children, Galbraith,William, Edward,Maria, Elizabeth, and Margaret.
Does anyone even know where Glennan is????

Online Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 25 July 15 20:56 BST (UK) »

Does anyone even know where Glennan is????

Possibly Glannan in the parish of Donagh (Co. Monaghan). Griffiths Valuation 1860 has two Johnston households listed there - Patrick & Anne (probably a widow).

http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml
Elwyn

Offline anniehadden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Galbraith Johnston of Moy, Co. Tyrone, & bro. Thomas Johnston of Glennan
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 25 July 15 21:44 BST (UK) »
You may get more helpful replies if you include dates with your ancestor's information. There's quite a difference in tracing a man who lived in the 1830s-1840s, 1850s-1860s, 1870s-1880s, and so on.

In the Wills Calendars on-line at PRONI, I don't see the transcript or full will of a Galbraith Johnston of Moy (or anywhere in Tyrone), that mentions a brother "Thomas Johnston of Glennan."

I do see Galbraith Johnston mentioned in various on-line records and message posts, including directories that show he was a linen & woolen draper at Moy in the 1840s; and a report of several 1840s meetings in the town of Moy, where he served as chairman or was a prominent attendee.

Have you researched Church of Ireland registers for your ancestor Galbraith Johnston's marriage to Margaret Harpur? His father's name may be on that record.

Annie

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 25 July 15 21:51 BST (UK) »
Yes, it's very difficult to help without any idea of dates.

A Galbraith Johnston of Moy died 1851- this entry refers to 1889 administration of remaider of estate:
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KZ5C-91V
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline anniehadden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Galbraith Johnston of Moy, Co. Tyrone, & bro. Thomas Johnston of Glennan
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 25 July 15 22:40 BST (UK) »
The IreAtlas is indispensable for identifying Irish place names (see www.thecore.com/seanruad). Glennan is a townland in County Tyrone as well as the name of townlands in other counties, and if Galbraith Johnston's will didn't state a specific county with the place name "Glennan," then I'd say it was in the same county as the deceased man's residence.

Glennan townland in Co. Tyrone is in Donacavey parish and Omagh Poor Law Union (Civil District), with a Church of Ireland whose register dates back to the 1770s. The Omagh area has lots of interesting cemeteries (many headstones posted on-line) and a great library. Good place to look for more possible records on your Johnstons, and certainly on Thomas Johnston who was a beneficiary of Galbraith Johnston's will.

Annie

Offline johntysandra

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 26 July 15 10:33 BST (UK) »
Thank you Annie, I didn't expect such a prompt reply so I didn't put a lot of detail in my post.
I have a photocopy of Galbraith (sen) will which I got at PRONI.
I have been to Moy several times and photographed his tombstone in the church of Ireland graveyard. Unfortunately the church records were dumped by a cleaner so I was not able to find out if this is where he was baptised or married.
I read his will about 2 years ago and thought I had found a lead when he put his two executors as " my brother in law  David Richardson Goodlatte of Salem Lodge " it looked more like "Goodlast" but I have researched his family thinking he must have been my Gx2 Grandmothers brother. About a month ago I got information through another family tree that actually David Richardson Goodlatte's wife Amelia Harpur and Margaret were sisters , which technically makes DR Goodlatte my Gx2 Grandmothers brother in law.
I thought I would have more trouble tracing her than Galbraith.
The second exec. was "my brother Thos. of Glenn?an. I had difficulty making this out as it looked like Tho with the end of the o going up into a little s and then a . There was a gap after Glenn and then two letters which looked like an
What I know about Galbraith is he married Margaret Harpur about 1824 (another family tree)
Of his six children Galbraith (jun) moved to Knockbreda in Belfast married Isabella Dickson and had about six children , one was my grandfather Thomas.
William was unmarried and died 26/12/1904 in Omagh lunatic asylum where he spent the last 27 years of his life.He was buried with his parents.
Edward was a minister. He was unmarried . He performed is sister Margaret's wedding in Hoath church in co Dublin. In 1900 his address was The Vicarage, Westgate, Co Durham
He died in Bangor co Down in 1919 and is buried with his parents
Maria married William Forest Mclinton in St.Peters in Dublin. She died in Bangor co Down in1919(according to another family tree)  and is buried with her husband and a son aged 18 in a grave beside her parents.
Elizabeth also married in Dublin.
Galbraith died in 1851 at the age of about 58. The name on his tombstone is Lieutenant Galbraith Johnston. Margaret died in Lucan (Dublin).
There are some articles in The Armagh guardian about Galbraith one states he was re-elected as Chairman of the town commission in 1845.
I hope I have included all relevant info I have a lot more. I think Galbraith's mothers maiden name might have been Galbraith and his father could have been William, Edward, Thomas, or less likely James ,Alexander, Samuel.
I would be very grateful for any advice . 

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 26 July 15 10:52 BST (UK) »
The second exec. was "my brother Thos. of Glenn?an. I had difficulty making this out as it looked like Tho with the end of the o going up into a little s and then a . There was a gap after Glenn and then two letters which looked like an
Could it be Jno rather than Tho?

And is this relevent?
The Will of Anne Johnston late of Glennan County Monaghan Widow who died 30 December 1886 at same place was proved at Armagh by Humphry John Breakey of Monaghan in said County Merchant one of the Executors. Effects £913 13s. Will dated 6 Nov.1883 mentions nephews James Joseph Bryans, William Bryans, Thomas Bryans, Robert Bryans; niece Sarah Bryans; Mrs. Anne Askin of Crosses; niece Margaret Breakey wife of Humphrey J. Breakey.

Added- from death registration looks like Anne was born c1807.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 26 July 15 11:07 BST (UK) »
1826 Tithes lists a James Johnston in Glennan.