Author Topic: Scott AITKEN (AITKIN) - Margaret JAMIESON  (Read 10052 times)

Offline aitkin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Scott AITKEN (AITKIN) - Margaret JAMIESON
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 14 December 11 05:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi again J.J. and dollylee.
To be quite honest, I got the Jamieson name from information sent to me, likely about 13-15 years ago by a contact who had more information than I did, because I was a real newby at genealogy at the time.  Her husband is a descendant of a brother of Scott and Thomas.
I guess I just accepted it as Jamieson. 
dollylee is right about how the death registration lists mother (maiden name) as Margaret Jamieson. 
Now I have doubt about this.  Will investigate further for a different maiden surname for (Scott's) Margaret.
Could it be that seeing as the death registration was certified by David Fife, her brother-in-law, that he only knew her as a Jamieson and that Margaret was her mothers name, therefore gave the name that way?  There is no father's name mentioned on the registration.
Aitken, Pottinger & Jamieson - Shetland Islands, SCT
Fife - Tulliallen, SCT
Allen - Ireland
Prudham - England
Pickett - England & PA/CT,USA
and ALL above - Canada

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Scott AITKEN (AITKIN) - Margaret JAMIESON
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 14 December 11 23:45 GMT (UK) »
There is no doubt she may also have been born with no father in the picture ( or no marriage), thus only mother mentioned, but without a marriage for Scott/Margaret it will be tough to find out...and that's what you are looking for so...
You can try Scotland board, and also let them know this post exists...( add this thread's url)
Dates of immigration on census aren't always correct...so it's just a maybe there...Plus re: the ages on census, some asked how old you were past birthday and some asked for birthday....1901 was supposed to be previous birthday, so go figure ...maybe he was used to the others which were mostly next birthday's age...
Regardless we seldom find exact information on censuses...use as stepping stones.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com