Author Topic: Hickey family from County Cork  (Read 6384 times)

Offline ScottH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Hickey family from County Cork
« on: Wednesday 14 December 11 22:38 GMT (UK) »
I'm trying to find more information on my great great grandmothers family. She was born in Mitcham, Surrey in 1862. Her parents were Daniel Hickey and Mary Wren (maiden name from Ellen's birth certificate), who were born in County Cork, as were most of her older siblings. Going by her siblings places of birth, the family left Ireland between 1854 and 1856.

The family can be found living in Mitcham in the 1861 census. The image below shows Daniel's place of birth, it clearly says Ireland and Cork, but what is the word in the middle? It looks like it starts with an 'M' and ends with 'na' or 'ra'. Findmypast translates it as Manro, while the Ancestry translation says Manrd, I'm not convinced either is correct.

Later census records either say just Ireland or Ireland Co Cork.

I had a look at the list of Cork towns and parishes on GENUKI, I guess it could be Murragh but spelt as Marra or Morra? AAny other possibilities? http://www.genuki.org.uk/cgi-bin/parish_list?CCC=COR

Thanks
Hamilton, Ridley, Emmerson, Loosemore, Dolman, Derry, Elmer, Howells
England, Scotland, Wales, Ireland

Offline Sonas

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hickey family from County Cork
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 14 December 11 22:56 GMT (UK) »
Would this marriage record fit?

http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details/8fa3c10040396

I think on the document you posted it looks like Maura.

Offline ScottH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 14 December 11 22:59 GMT (UK) »
Should add there is a John Hickey living in Croydon in 1871, born about 1845 in Bandon Co Cork. There are a few John Hickey's around that age in 1871 (and John is not listed with the family in the 1871 census), and moving from Mitcham to Croydon seems very possible (Ellen did herself in the early 1900's).

Looking up Bandon on Google maps it's also very close to Murragh.

Offline ScottH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 14 December 11 23:02 GMT (UK) »
Would this marriage record fit?

http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details/8fa3c10040396

I think on the document you posted it looks like Maura.

Thanks for the quick reply, that's a possiblity. I thought Hickey could have been spelt differently but didn't consider how Wren might have been spelt.

The oldest child in the 1861 census is John (who I mentioned above) born about 1844/45. However by then Daniel and Mary would have been about 25, so they could have certainly married 4/5 years earlier.

It could be Maura, though there doesn't seem to be any places in Ireland with that name.

Offline Sonas

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 14 December 11 23:05 GMT (UK) »

Offline Sonas

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 15 December 11 22:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi again, I didn't answer some parts of your post very well last time. On the face of it, Murragh looks like a reasonable match for the placename on the document you posted, which I think is likely a misspelling. But then, probably not all the parishes in the area have records going back to the 1830s. Murragh is also known as Newcestown. The village there is small and Bandon would be regarded as the local town. I have a line of Hickeys as well - it does pop up sometimes as Hicky or Hickie.

Offline ScottH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 17 December 11 00:15 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the replies, that John Hickey is definitely a good possibility.

The other siblings born in Ireland unfortunately don't seem to appear on there, but if anyone has any other ideas they were:

Mary born about 1847
Daniel born about 1851
James born about 1851 (twins according to the 1861 census)
Patrick born about 1854

After finding another tree on Ancestry and checking a few records, it looks like Mary married Joseph Theobald. Like John (well, the one that seems most likely to be the correct one), following her family through the census records shows she was from Bandon, Ireland.

I've ordered both marriage certificates as everything seems to fit. They should confirm their father as Daniel Hickey and therefore Bandon being the right area.

What would be the next step? Are there likely to be records in Ireland that aren't online?

Offline sueytopia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 03 October 12 14:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Scott
If your g-g-grandmother was Ellen married to William Elmer then I may have information for you, although nothing relating to their origins in Ireland, which I am also very interested in.

My own g-grandfather was also a Hickey from Mitcham and I believe he was possibly a cousin to your branch, although unfortunately I do not know who his parents are. There is definitely a family connection though.

Offline ScottH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 03 October 12 18:41 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Yes Ellen Hickey and Ellen Elmer were my great great grandparents. Of Ellen's siblings I know John married Deborah Murphy and Mary Ann married Joseph Theobald. I've not been able to find marriages for the others.

I'd be happy to share information and try to help you work out where the connection is.