Author Topic: admiralty  (Read 2706 times)

Offline *sara*

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
admiralty
« on: Thursday 05 January 12 21:04 GMT (UK) »
i think my g grandmother was in the admiralty.  my reason is that i have found a small plaque that says it was presented to her on the occasion of her wedding (1919) from all at the admiralty.

My question is - what is the admiralty, and would there be any records ?

thanks

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
Re: admiralty
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 05 January 12 21:09 GMT (UK) »
The Admiralty was formerly the authority in the Kingdom of England, and later in the United Kingdom, responsible for the command of the Royal Navy.
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 05 January 12 21:11 GMT (UK) »
have you found any clues in the censuses,,,was her husband in the navy?  who was she? when and where was she born?  who did she marry?  ;)
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline *sara*

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 05 January 12 21:32 GMT (UK) »
thank you for such a prompt reply

her name was Dorothy Walkey until she married Sidney Tompkins.  Sidney was in the army in WW1 but discharged due to injuries,  he then joined the NAAFI, again I would like to find any records of his time.

Dorothy born ab 1897, Sidney 1895

I have got the censuses but its a while since I looked over my stuff  - really need to refamiliarise myself with it!!

sara

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 05 January 12 22:34 GMT (UK) »
Good evening,

Does it mean that she actually worked at "THE ADMIRALTY" in some role. Thats the big block building between the Mall and Horse Guards Parade. Either as a WREN or maybe civvy role.

John915
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 06 January 12 05:29 GMT (UK) »
The marriage certificate may give her occupation. But the norm was for brides to leave work and so most did not record an occupation. My guess is civil servant. You could try the London Gazette as some posts were recorded there.

Ken

Offline *sara*

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 06 January 12 23:09 GMT (UK) »
thank you for your ideas and info, gives somewhere else to have a little look. 

My guess would be civilian too ;D